UPDATE: Dayton Schools react after reprimand from state, $10K fine

Published: Thursday, April 06, 2017 @ 5:14 PM
Updated: Friday, April 07, 2017 @ 4:15 PM

Mike Hartsock has some details of OHSAA probation handed down today.

UPDATE @ 2:34 p.m. (April 7):

Dayton Public Schools released a statement following Thursday’s announcement from the OHSAA:

“Dayton Public Schools administrators conducted a full internal investigation following the allegations of wrongdoing that occurred during a football game between Dunbar Early College High School and Belmont High School on October 28, 2016. 

Immediate action was taken following the game and reprimands were issued to the appropriate parties. The Dayton Public School district does not take these issues lightly, especially when our students are impacted. The ineligible player should not have played as instructed by administrators. We are taking specific measures to ensure that this does not occur again. 

The finding of OHSAA draws necessary attention to our need to ensure compliance and proper training in ethics and sportsmanship for all Dayton Public Schools' coaches and administrators. 

At the heart of this unfortunate finding are our student athletes who deserve the most honest and competent leadership we can provide them. I assure Superintendent Ross, OHSAA, and the Dayton community, of my firm commitment to putting students first, and providing those students with highly qualified academic and athletic leadership.”


As a public reprimand for a lack of administrative responsibility and institutional control, the Ohio High School Athletic Association placed all Dayton Public Schools boys and girls athletic teams on immediate three-year probation Thursday. The district also was fined $10,000 and selected administrators were ordered to attend compliance meetings in Columbus and new level training.

The OHSAA ruled its bylaw 3-1-1 — concerning administrative control — had been violated during a Week 10 football game last season between Dunbar and Belmont at Welcome Stadium. Commissioner Dr. Dan Ross outlined the punishments.

Coverage:Dunbar, Dayton Public Schools brace for ruling

Video:Dunbar coaches say: We were told to lose€

Oct. 2016:Emotions high as Dunbar addresses forfeits

Oct. 2016:Dunbar forfeits knock Piqua out of playoffs 

Nov. 2016:Dunbar won’t fight forfeits

The probation will be lifted and $2,500 will be refunded if no other similar violations of OHSAA bylaws occur within the first two years. Affected are all six DPS high schools: Belmont, Dunbar, Meadowdale, Ponitz, Stivers and Thurgood Marshall.

“It strikes at the heart of what we believe high school sports are all about and that’s teaching life lessons and the things you want them to learn as citizens when they’re out of school,” Ross said. “For us, it was reprehensible that anything like that would be suggested.”

DAYTON SCHOOLS: Board argues, gives administrator $200K to leave

DPS director of athletics Mark Baker had been accused of instructing Dunbar to lose the game. Had that happened, it was hoped both Dunbar and Belmont would qualify for the playoffs. Instead, it caused a catastrophic fallout of forfeits, a resignation, a reshuffling of playoff-qualifying teams and launched an OHSAA investigation.

It was an unprecedented breach of high school sportsmanship. A strong message — and OHSAA rulings — to deter that from happening again had been expected.

“I definitely feel exonerated and I’m glad that it’s over with,” Dunbar football coach Darran Powell said. “Hopefully, we can move forward and never come across a situation like this again. I’m happy for the kids and I’m ready to get the season started. We’ve got a lot to prove.”

The rulings mean all City League athletes can continue to compete in regular-season and postseason play.

“We believed the youngsters involved were not responsible; it was the decisions of adults,” Ross said. “This is not something you ever want a youngster to be put in the middle of. … You never, ever expect anything like this to happen in a high school event.”

Both were belatedly approved basketball coaching contracts during a DPS school board meeting on Tuesday, Dec. 6, 2016.

According to Dunbar assistant coach Alfred Powell, at halftime of the game Baker relayed instructions for Dunbar to lose. That resulted in three successive and bizarre third-quarter plays in which Dunbar appeared to purposely lose yardage. Referees halted play after the ball was tossed to a Belmont lineman.

Coaches of both teams huddled at midfield, where officials said the contest would be called if the integrity of the game were further undermined. There were no more similar incidents. Dunbar won handily and appeared to have qualified for the Division IV, Region 16 playoffs with a 9-1 record.

However, the OHSAA required Dunbar to forfeit both Week 9-10 games for using an academically ineligible player. That allowed Belmont to qualify for the D-III, Region 12 playoffs and knocked Princeton (D-II), Piqua (D-III) and Dunbar out of qualifying.

Dunbar coaches insisted Baker said the Dunbar player was eligible prior to the Belmont game, then said he wasn’t at halftime. That led to the proposal of Dunbar losing on purpose.

“I believe the system works,” Alfred Powell said. “Our staff has been vindicated.”

None of the Dunbar football coaches has been retained; interviews will be held next week. DPS superintendent Rhonda Corr previously released a statement that said an internal investigation determined that “Mark Baker did not instruct Dunbar to lose or forfeit the Week 10 football game to Belmont.”

Dunbar boys basketball coach Pete Pullen resigned as the school’s AD in mid-November. No football playoff games were held at Welcome Stadium last fall, a direct result of OHSAA’s investigation. Baker and Corr did not respond to requests for comment.

FACEBOOK: For more high school sports you should like Marc Pendleton

Trending - Most Read Stories

Sports Today: College basketball’s strange new world could benefit Dayton, Ohio State

Published: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 @ 10:25 AM

Dayton's Anthony Grant honored to join Team USA staff

So much stuff going on for a Tuesday in mid-March I don’t know where to begin… 

Dayton basketball made news yesterday with the entirely unsurprising report Matej Svoboda is leaving the program to return home to the Czech Republic. 

That is nothing against him. He might yet turn out to be a quality basketball player for a long time. 

RELATED: Flyers lose freshman to his home country

However, he was not an Anthony Grant recruit to begin with, he’s older than the average college basketball freshman and various options playing in Europe are probably more appealing to European natives. 

Svoboda’s departure means Dayton has two scholarships open for the 2018-19 season. Xeyrius Williams announced he was transferring earlier this month.

How Grant uses his those (and who knows if he’s done gaining spots) will be interesting to say the least. 

» RELATED: Dayton holiday tournament shaping up to be a tough one

As we saw last year following Archie Miller’s exit and Grant’s hiring, it’s a whole new world for college basketball roster building with the graduate transfer phenomenon only growing and more high school prospects waiting until spring to make their college decision. 

We’ve even got players now “reclassifying” to basically skip their last year of high school (or take an extra year), so the list of things that could happen between now and the end of the summer is endless. 

That’s also good news for Ohio State. 

Chris Holtmann’s first season went better than almost everyone expected, but there are some big questions to answer if Year Two isn’t going to be more of a rebuilding season. 

Keita Bates-Diop said after the Buckeyes lost in the second round of the NCAA tournament to Gonzaga on Saturday night he hadn’t though about whether or not he will use his last year of eligibility or enter the NBA draft. 

He might not be a lottery pick, but KDB looks like the prototypical shooting wing in today’s NBA: Not only does he have the obligatory outside shot, he can score anywhere on the floor and has the long arms and discipline to be a good defender. 

The James Posey clone also already has an economics degree in hand, which would seem to be one more reason to make the leap now so he can get started on his 15-year career with the Spurs. 

The Buckeyes also lose Jae’Sean Tate, Kam Williams and Andrew Dakich, but Versailles wing Justin Ahrens is part of a recruiting class that currently consists of three players. 

Could it grow? 

Ahrens said in January that Holtmann told the newcomers to be ready to come in and let it fly next season.  

Speaking of Buckeyes basketball, I was in the gym last night for the last game of one of the best Buckeyes ever. 

Kelsey Mitchell’s last shot in an Ohio State uniform was one she made a couple hundred times before: A pull-up jumper from a few feet behind the 3-point line that hit nothing but net. 

Unfortunately, that came well after the outcome had been decided in a second-round NCAA tournament game dominated by upstart Central Michigan. 

Except for a few minutes early, the 11th-seeded Chippewas looked like the favorite most of the night, running and gunning and throwing in 3s from all over the floor. 

The Ohio State women’s basketball team might have even more questions than the men’s squad heading into next season. 

Along with Mitchell, All-Big Ten center Stephanie Mavunga, forward Alexa Hart and guards Asia Doss and Linnae Harper are out of eligibility. 

On the bright side, Fairmont grad Makayla Waterman and fellow fourth-year junior Sierra Calhoun both told The Lantern (Ohio State’s student newspaper) they will be back next year

We’ll take a closer look at the Buckeyes later today… 

The Cincinnati Bengals backfield should be less crowded next year with Russell Bodine’s exit official

If your response to that is, “I think you meant Jeremy Hill,” I will have to conclude you don’t watch many Bengals games closely. 

One of the constants of the last four years was seeing their center, Bodine, being pushed back into Andy Dalton’s face or the running lane most of the time. 

The fourth-round pick out of North Carolina started every game in his four years in Cincinnati, and that is basically the only positive thing that can be said about his time with the Bengals. 

They apparently thought about re-signing him, but he became next-to-impossible to afford when they acquired left tackle Cordy Glenn from the Buffalo Bills. So chalk that up to another positive of being proactive in making the move to shore up left tackle before the draft. 

The Bengals should have a chance to take a potential upgrade at center with prospects such as James Daniels of Iowa and Billy Price available in the NFL draft… 

Ohio State center Billy Price explains what happened during the bench press Thursday and his prognosis for next season.

Speaking of Hill — The Patriots signed him for one year on the cheap a couple of days after the Browns signed his superior draft classmate Carlos Hyde to a three-year deal worth at least $5 million… 

Lastly: The Cincinnati Reds pulled off an impressive news dump early last night when they announced top prospect Nick Senzel has been sent to the minors

That did not come as a surprise, but it was still probably something that could cause some ripples in the fanbase given the excitement for his eventual debut with the big club. 

Also of note: He told reporters he will move to second base when he joins the Louisville Bats in Triple-A

That comes after he spent his first two years in the minors playing third and worked at shortstop this spring. 

The Reds locked up third baseman Eugenio Suarez with a long-term contract last week, and they are apparently pretty happy with what they have seen from Jose Peraza at shortstop this spring if that’s the move with Senzel at this point. 

Perhaps it also means Scooter Gennett will be the odd man out when they are ready to call up Senzel? 

Stay tuned… 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Ohio State’s Kelsey Mitchell era ends with blowout loss to Central Michigan

Published: Monday, March 19, 2018 @ 8:58 PM

Kelsey Mitchell and Kevin McGuff react to Ohio State’s loss to Central Michigan and the end of her great career.

Central Michigan looked far from an 11 seed Monday night. 

The Chippewas crushed third-seeded Ohio State 95-78 at St. John Arena to advance to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA women’s basketball tournament. 

That brought an end to the brilliant career of Ohio State point guard Kelsey Mitchell. 

She scored 28 points to finish with 3,402 for her career. 

That is No. 1 at Ohio State and in Big Ten annals while trailing only Washington’s Kelsey Plum on the NCAA’s all-time list (3,527). Mitchell passed Jackie Stiles of Missouri State to move into second place with a breakaway layup in the fourth quarter. 

The three-time Big Ten Player of the Year also holds the NCAA record for 3-pointers with 497. 

Sports Today: So much for Ohio’s high NCAA tournament hopes

Ohio State led by as many as 10 in the first quarter, but the Chippewas scored the last four points of the stanza to close within 15-9. 

CMU hung around despite missing 13 of 16 shots in the first quarter.  

Ohio State was 6 for 16 but committed four turnovers, but that was spectacular compared to a disastrous second quarter for the Buckeyes. 

The Big Ten champions missed 11 of 13 shots from the field and committed six turnovers against an aggressive CMU defense and while being outscored 25-6. 

“First of all, give Central Michigan credit,” Ohio State coach Kevin McGuff said. “They played a great game and they deserved to win. They were outstanding today and they’ve got a great basketball team.

“They were well-prepared and their kids really executed at a high level tonight, but I don’t think we handled the adversity of them making shots or them going on a run. We kind of got out of the things that make us a good basketball team. And when that happened, they really made us pay.” 

The Chippewas used a 20-1 run that started late in the first quarter to open up a 25-16. 

Mitchell halted that by rattling home a jumper from the elbow with 3:12 on the clock. 

She had a chance to make it a three-point game with 2:18 left but missed a free throw. 

Then the Buckeyes gave up three consecutive 3-pointers, two wide-open looks for Cassie Breen and one a fadeaway by Presley Hudson off the dribble. 

That plunged the Buckeyes into a 34-21 hole from which they never recovered.

Ohio State shot 27.6 percent in the first half and committed 10 turnovers. 

Central Michigan made 30.6 percent of its shots, had only five turnovers and enjoyed a 28-20 rebounding advantage. 

The Chippewas extended their lead in the third quarter with an out-of-this-world shooting performance. 

They made 11 of 16 field goals, including 7 of 8 from 3-point range to extend their lead to 67-46. 

The Buckeyes found some offense in the third, but not nearly enough. 

Ohio State was still outscored 33-25 in the stanza and never got closer than 13 in the fourth quarter. 

“I guess it just felt like everything was going in,” Hudson said of the second half. “We got a lot of open shots and even if we weren’t open we felt like we could make ‘em.” 

Hudson led Central Michigan with 28 points while Breen had 22. 

Stephanie Mavunga scored 16 points for Ohio State while fellow senior Linnae Harper added 14.

“They did a good job of capitalizing on everything we did wrong,” Mavunga said. “They never let up.” 

The Buckeyes had a seven-game winning streak in NCAA tournament games at St. John Arena snapped. 

Central Michigan ended up making 14 of 27 from 3-point range and won the battle of the boards 46-35. 

Ohio State was knocked out of the NCAA tournament in the second round for the first time since 2015. 

The Buckeyes advanced to the Sweet 16 the past two seasons but haven’t been to the Elite Eight since 1993, when they made their only Final Four and lost in the national championship game to Texas Tech.  

Trending - Most Read Stories

Bodine leaves Bengals for Bills

Published: Monday, March 19, 2018 @ 6:28 PM

            ARLINGTON, TX - OCTOBER 09: Russell Bodine #61 of the Cincinnati Bengals at AT&T Stadium on October 9, 2016 in Arlington, Texas. (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
ARLINGTON, TX - OCTOBER 09: Russell Bodine #61 of the Cincinnati Bengals at AT&T Stadium on October 9, 2016 in Arlington, Texas. (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)

Russell Bodine will not return to the Cincinnati Bengals after signing with the Buffalo Bills on Monday.

Bodine started all 64 games at center after the Bengals traded up to draft him in the fourth round in 2015. The unrestricted free agent signed a two-year contract with the Bills.

›› Burfict suspended for PED violation

The only center on the Bengals roster is T.J. Johnson, a seventh-round pick in 2013 who has appeared in 45 games with five starts, all at guard.

The Bengals could look to add depth at the position by signing one of the veteran free agents available, but the 2018 starter could be a player they select in the 2018 draft next month.

Follow Jay Morrison on Twitter

The Bengals own the 21st pick after trading back nine spots to obtain tackle Cordy Glenn from Buffalo.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Dayton has two scholarships open as another player leaves

Published: Monday, March 19, 2018 @ 5:18 PM

Dayton’s Matej Svoboda looks to pass against Auburn on Wednesday, Nov. 29, 2017, at UD Arena. David Jablonski/Staff
Staff Writer
Dayton’s Matej Svoboda looks to pass against Auburn on Wednesday, Nov. 29, 2017, at UD Arena. David Jablonski/Staff(Staff Writer)

Dayton Flyers freshman Matej Svoboda will leave the program after one season to return home to the Czech Republic, according to a source.

Svoboda’s departure means Dayton has two scholarships open for the 2018-19 season. Xeyrius Williams announced he was transferring earlier this month.

» RELATED: Dayton holiday tournament shaping up to be a tough one

Svoboda, a 6-foot-7 forward, will play professional basketball in his home country. He appeared in 28 games this past season for the Flyers, averaging 2.2 points and 1.2 rebounds in 11.4 minutes per game. He shot 20 percent from 3-point range (9 of 45).

Svoboda was recruited by Archie Miller’s staff and committed to Dayton in February of 2017. He signed with Dayton in May despite not having met new coach Anthony Grant in person.

» RELATED: Archdeacon on Svoboda

Svoboda was one of five members of the 2017 freshman class and one of six Flyers to make their college debuts last season.

Like many of the Flyers, Svoboda’s minutes dipped and climbed throughout the season, but he found a role as a contributor off the bench late in the season. He never developed into a consistent scoring threat and didn’t score in four of his last five appearances. He missed his last six 3-pointers. He scored his season high of nine points in the fourth game of the season against Akron.

Trending - Most Read Stories