Lewis touches on his future, Mixon, Pacman on radio show

Published: Friday, May 12, 2017 @ 4:24 PM


            HOUSTON, TX - DECEMBER 24: Cincinnati Bengals Head Coach Marvin Lewis watches his team from the sideline during the NFL game between the Cincinnati Bengals and Houston Texans on December 24, 2016, at NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas. (Photo by Ken Murray/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
HOUSTON, TX - DECEMBER 24: Cincinnati Bengals Head Coach Marvin Lewis watches his team from the sideline during the NFL game between the Cincinnati Bengals and Houston Texans on December 24, 2016, at NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas. (Photo by Ken Murray/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Appearing on the NFL No Huddle show today with host Brian Webber and former Cincinnati Bengals defensive backs coach Mark Carrier, Marvin Lewis touched on his future, the team’s decision to draft Joe Mixon and the antics of cornerback Adam Jones.

Carrier brought up the subject of Mixon, the controversial running back the Bengals selected in the second round of the draft

“There’s two people I have high respect for in your organization that I still talk to today,” Carrier said. “Rusty Guy, who is head of security, and Eric Ball, who is part of players programs. I believe if they don’t sign off on this, it doesn’t happen. Knowing those two guys and knowing how well they are and how well of a job they do, if they said hey this is a good kid. He’s worth it. I’m sure you’re good with it.”

›› RELATED: Bengals owner pens letter to fans explaining decision to draft Mixon

›› RELATED: Bengals veterans react to Mixon pick

Lewis confirmed that he is and said the choice ultimately was team owner and president Mike Brown’s.

“It’s obviously a lot of people that had to make this determination, and ultimately it’s Mike’s call,” he said. “It was something he had decided that we would go ahead and do. It’s done, and Joe had a good (rookie camp) weekend with us a week ago and he will be back working again next week and all the way through the off-season as our rookies join us moving forward now.”

›› MORE: Position-by-position breakdown of Bengals roster heading into OTAs

On the subject of Jones, Lewis said the veteran needs to address the issues with his public persona.

“He’s got to continually work at that, his words,” Lewis said. “He’s a passionate teammate for these guys. A diligent pro. He’s got to just continue to handle himself within the scope of day to day and be a great pro. He’s overcome his background, and it’s a day-to-day process. Most importantly, he’s at the point in his career where these things have to stay pointed towards football.”

Follow Jay Morrison on Twitter

In terms of his own career, Lewis is entering his 15th season. He’s signed through 2017, so if Lewis doesn’t sign an extension before the Sept. 10 opener, it will be the first time since 2010 he’s gone into a season in the final year of contract.

Webber asked Lewis if there is a chance some of the players might wonder about his future?

“Most importantly, what people don’t get is in the NFL, the players worry about their future every day,” Lewis said. “So there is no parallel with myself and them. And yes I have gone into the last year, three or four times here and that’s part of the process. No, they don’t have any concern for me.

›› MORE: Lewis not concerned about extension

“Their concern is themselves and us winning football games,” he continued. “That’s what’s important. As I tell them all the time, if they win then good things will happen for them and that’s the thing that’s most important for an NFL player. Don’t be concerned with the things you can’t control. You just handle your business, take care of your things and great things will happen. That’s the best thing for the players to always understand moving forward. As coaches know, we get into this business all the time and that’s what takes care of it.”

Dragons whitewash Whitecaps, next month’s playoff foe

Published: Thursday, August 17, 2017 @ 12:47 AM


            Dragons second baseman Hector Vargas makes a play during Wednesday night’s 7-0 defeat of West Michigan at Fifth Third Field. NICK FALZERANO / CONTRIBUTED
Dragons second baseman Hector Vargas makes a play during Wednesday night’s 7-0 defeat of West Michigan at Fifth Third Field. NICK FALZERANO / CONTRIBUTED

The West Michigan Whitecaps (36-1, 81-37) are enjoying one of the best seasons of any pro baseball team in 2017, and they’ll be waiting for the Dragons in the first round of the Midwest League playoffs in September.

After clinching a wild card berth in the first half, the Dragons have stumbled through the second half (16-36, 57-65) with the league’s worst record.

But if manager Luis Bolivar can get the five shutout innings lefty starter Scott Moss delivered during a 7-0 win Wednesday at Fifth Third Field, Dayton may be tough to eliminate.

Moss struck out five, gave up three hits and surrendered two walks while improving to 12-6 and lowering his ERA to 3.48.

“He can mix his pitches well. He has a good fastball. He can locate it on both sides of the of the plate and a nice curveball, and he’s used changeups more lately, so he can keep all batters off balance,” Bolivar said.

Moss spent time on the DL in July for rest purposes, but the 6-foot-6 southpaw doesn’t know how the time off will affect his future, because this is his first full season of pro ball. He was drafted in 2016, and spent the rest of season playing rookie ball.

“[The time off] was a big help to me,” he said. Moss added that his time on the DL really may help in his next four to five starts.

While the second half has trended in the wrong direction, Dayton has proved it can hang with the Whitecaps. The Dragons have won two of the last three against the Detroit Tigers affiliate, and have taken the season series, 10-8.

“… Since the beginning of the season, we’ve been playing good against them and it’s carried over to the whole season,” Bolivar said.

Game changer: Moss got all the support he’d need in the first inning thanks to Taylor Trammell’s two-run homer.

It was Trammell’s 11th of the year and was set up by small-ball aggressiveness at the top of the order. Jose Siri led off with a bunt, easily beating the throw from pitcher Tom de Blok. Carlos Rivero moved Siri to second with a sacrifice.

But after striking out Tyler Sparks, It looked like de Blok might escape the inning unscathed, until Trammell tattooed his first-pitch offering.

Trammell’s home run was the first of three the Dragons would club.

Dragons tales: Siri rewrote some Midwest League’s history books with his record 39-game hitting streak. Now he may be looking to add his own chapter. If Siri can slug one more homer and steal three more bases, he’ll be the first Midwest League player since 1982 to hit 20 homers and swipe 40 bags.

On deck: Tony Santillan (6-7, 3.64 ERA) will start for the Dragons, while Anthony Castro (9-4, 2.70 ERA) starts for the Whitecaps in tonight’s series finale at 7:05.

WATCH: Homer Bailey fans 10 Cubs in loss

Published: Thursday, August 17, 2017 @ 8:30 AM

St. Louis Cardinals' Jose Martinez celebrates his grand slam off Cincinnati Reds starting pitcher Homer Bailey during the fourth inning of a baseball game, Sunday, Aug. 6, 2017, in Cincinnati.
AP Photo/Gary Landers
St. Louis Cardinals' Jose Martinez celebrates his grand slam off Cincinnati Reds starting pitcher Homer Bailey during the fourth inning of a baseball game, Sunday, Aug. 6, 2017, in Cincinnati.(AP Photo/Gary Landers)

The Reds’ rally fell just short in an 8-7 loss to the Cubs Tuesday.

Starter Homer Bailey gave up six runs, but at least showed something positive in setting down 10 Cubs for strikeouts.

The Reds will hope, as Bailey works to regain his old form, the runs allowed decline and the strikeouts become more consistent.

Bailey has an 8.44 ERA on the year.

Reds lose another one on a wild pitch

Published: Thursday, August 17, 2017 @ 12:20 AM

The Cincinnati Reds scratched, clawed and gouged at the Chicago Cubs Wednesday night.

In the end, they lost it, unbelievably, on a walk-off wild pitch by Blake Wood in the bottom of the ninth inning, 7-6.

Wood had two outs with runners on third and second. But his first pitch to Kris Bryant, a slider low, wide and ugly bounced off lunging catcher Tucker Barnhart and Javier Baez scored standing up.

Amazingly, it was the second time on this trip the Reds lost on a walk-off wild pitch, a wild one thrown by Tim Adleman in Milwaukee.

WHAT WAS SO PAINFUL to the Reds was that they trailed by five runs with two outs and nobody on in the seventh inning.

Usually, when that’s the case for the Reds in Wrigley Field they can pack up the gear early and go back to the hotel for a midnight snack.

But the Reds scored three in the seventh and two in the eighth to tie the game, 6-6.

And it began when Phillip Ervin, just called up from Class AAA Louisville earlier in the day, ripped a two-out home run with two outs in the seventh, his first major league hit.

That made it 6-2 and Billy Hamilton followed the home run with an infield single and Zack Cozart crushed his 17 th home run to make it 6-4.

THEN IN THE EIGHTH Eduardo Suarez led with a double. Adam Duvall, pinch-hitting on this night, drove his first-ever home run in Wrigley to tie it, 6-6.

Wandy Peralta, who walked the first two batters he faced Tuesday night, gave up a double to Javier Baez to open the ninth. That brought up pinch-hitter Jon Jay. He faced Peralta Tuesday and tried to bunt, but Peralta walked him. The same thing happened Wednesday. Jay, pinch-hitting, was sent up to bunt but Peralta walked him.

Then came some controversy. Ben Zobrist tried to bunt and was hit by the pitch. But first base umpire Chris Conley said Zobrist tried to bunt the pitch and it was a strike.

Manager Joe Maddon was ejected arguing the call. But Zobrist then dribbled one up the third base line to advance the runners to third and second.

MANAGER BRYAN PRICE BROUGHT in Blake Wood and he struck out Albert Almora Jr. for the second out. But his first pitch to Bryant was wild and a game-ender.

It was a good-bad night for Reds starter Homer Bailey. The Reds gave him a 1-0 lead in the first, but it should have been much more because the Reds had the bases loaded with no outs.

One run scored on a sacrifice fly by Eugenio Suarez and Zack Cozart moved to third. Scooter Gennett flied to left and for some reason Cozart, still slowed by his quad problem, tagged and tried to score but Kyle Schwarber threw him out.

Then came the bottom of the first and Bailey gave up two singles and a walk to the first three Cubs. The walk was to Bryant and what appeared to be a perfect strike.

PERHAPS UNNERVED BY THE missed call, Bailey’s next pitch was right down the middle and Anthony Rizzo ripped it for a grand slam home run and a 4-1 lead.

The Reds had runners on third and second with no outs in the second and the bases loaded with two outs and didn’t score against John Lackey. With runners on third and second and no outs, Lackey fell behind Tucker Barnhart 3-and-0, but he popped up to second base.

Before that, Barnhart had 3-and-0 counts 28 times this year and walked all 28 times. This time he swung and popped it up.

AFTER THAT THEY HAD only one single over the next four innings against Lackey. Bailey gave up two more runs. Over 5 2/3 innings he gave up six runs, seven hits, five walks and struck out 10. After Rizzo’s grand slam, Bailey struck out five of the next six Cubs.

Joey Votto singled in the first inning, but it was the only time he reached bases and his streak of reaching base two or more times in a game was stopped at 20, one game shy of tying the major league record set by Ted Williams in 1948.

Votto flied to the wall in the third, lined one hard to the mound that Lackey snagged in the fifth and grounded out to first to end the seventh. And he was on deck when Zack Cozart flied to right to end the top of the ninth.

There were three day games Wednesday that ended with a 7-6 score and unfortunately for the Reds they participated in the fourth 7-6 game and they had the 6.

 

VIDEO: Phillip Ervin’s first career hit leaves the yard

Published: Thursday, August 17, 2017 @ 7:50 AM

Dragons outfielder Phillip Ervin at bat against the South Bend Silver Hawks (Diamondbacks) at Dayton’s Fifth Third Field on Saturday, Aug. 2, 2014. MARC PENDLETON / STAFF
Staff Writer
Dragons outfielder Phillip Ervin at bat against the South Bend Silver Hawks (Diamondbacks) at Dayton’s Fifth Third Field on Saturday, Aug. 2, 2014. MARC PENDLETON / STAFF(Staff Writer)

Welcome to the bigs, Phillip Ervin.

Recalled Tuesday when Devin Mesaroco hit the disabled list, the Reds’ new outfielder collected his first career long ball in Wedneday’s 7-6 heartbreaker loss to the Cubs.


And it was also Ervin’s first career hit. He joins Boston’s Rafael Devers and Atlanta’s Ozzie Albies as rookies to homer for their first hit in recent weeks.