log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 @ 10:52 PM
Updated: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 @ 10:52 PM
SPRINGBORO — They came for answers. There were none. Instead, an overflow crowd of Troy Holtrey backers shook their heads in disbelief and let their representatives plead with the Springboro school board to rehire a beloved boys high school basketball coach.
Former players, parents, fellow area coaches and teachers throughout the district jammed a special school board session that was open to the public Tuesday night. It was a time for questions about Holtrey’s coaching fate, but the board wasn’t answering.
Eleven predetermined speakers wanted to know why the board informed Holtrey, Boro’s ultra-successful varsity coach the last 21 seasons, that his coaching contract would not be renewed. The only thing the board addressed was a two-minute speaking limit.
“As a preacher, it kills me to go just two minutes,” said Charlie McMahan, who broke mounting tension with that zinger. Like everyone else who spoke, the former Holtrey assistant urged the board to reconsider. Holtrey was told last week that he would not be renewed as coach but that he can reapply.
The Doliboa brothers, first Cain then Seth, each made passionate pleas to the four-member board, which was missing only president Scott Anderson.
Chip James, another former Holtrey player, drew a drawn-out applause after admonishing the board. “To let him leave would be an absolute travesty,” he said.
For now, that’s the board’s plan. It’s not typical protocol for any high-profile and veteran coach like Holtrey, but it’s within the board’s call. And it is under no obligation to provide insight to their decision making.
“It’s what he does off the court for kids and for people that makes you scratch your head at this and makes you think, what’s going on?” said former Springboro football coach Rodney Roberts, now at nearby Franklin.
Holtrey did not attend the meeting and was unavailable for comment.
Also on Tuesday, Springboro treasurer Tracy Jarvis said a “special audit” was being run by the Ohio State Auditors Office in regards to summer camps run by school-district coaches. Police chief Jeff Kruithoff was emphatic that Holtrey was not a person of interest about that by his or the state’s office.
Finally, today begins a long period of non-contact between basketball coaches and players that runs through October. Also, school begins in a couple weeks. Unless someone already is in the school district, finding another varsity coach at this late date will be a major task.
Beavercreek boys coach John Ahrns perfectly summarized the growing crowd frustration.
Published: Saturday, September 30, 2017 @ 11:53 AM
SEVIER COUNTY, Tenn. — A high school football player was ejected Friday night after he body-slammed a player from the opposing team to the ground.
A video clip that captured the wrestling move was posted on Twitter.
This really just happened at the Sevier County/Gibbs High School football game in TN tonight! Are we in the WWE or High School football??? pic.twitter.com/EtwenPQWXT— Jonathan Crompton (@jcromp8) September 30, 2017
The game was between Gibbs High School and Sevier County. After a play, a player from Sevier County picked up a Gibbs player and body-slammed him to the ground.
The player who ended up on the ground was not injured, the Knoxville News-Sentinel reported.
The player who committed the infraction was ejected and by rule, will have to sit out the next game.
Sevier County's coach told the Knoxville News-Sentinel that his player lost his composure, and that the game had been physical on both sides.
Published: Monday, September 25, 2017 @ 5:41 PM
We’re at the halfway point of the high school football regular season.
Here are five games to watch in Week 6:
Centerville at Wayne
You always circle this one on the calendar, but this year could be really special.
»RELATED: Week 5 recap
»RELATED: Last week’s power rankings
The undefeated Elks have answered every challenge through the first five weeks. The Warriors have bounced back from a season-opening loss with four straight wins, though they were pushed to double overtime before prevailing at Northmont last week.
The Warriors have won the last two games in the series, 45-8 and 56-17.
Miamisburg at Fairmont
A couple of teams coming off losses last week. For the Firebirds, it was their first of the season when they failed to find the end zone at Beavercreek.
Meanwhile, Miamisburg is riding a two-game losing streak with successive losses to Wayne and Troy.
Covington at Miami East
The Vikings made a huge statement on the road last week, scoring 50 points at previously unbeaten Bethel.
After starting the season on a three-game skid, Covington has won back-to-back games. The Buccs are showing signs of once again being a contender in the Cross County Conference race.
This is the Touchdown 7 Arbys Game of the Week .
Valley View at Bellbrook
Unbeaten Valley View scooped up a boatload of playoff points with a convincing 34-3 win at home against Franklin last week.
The Spartans will have to do more than just show up at Bellbrook. The Golden Eagles have won four in a row after a season-opening loss.
Anna at Marion Local
Just another battle of unbeaten in the Midwest Athletic Conference, but this time it’s the final two unbeaten teams in the toughest league in the state.
Marion Local hasn’t been scoring a lot of points this season, but the Flyers defense has held four of their five opponents to less than 10 points.
Anna is averaging 40 points per game.
Published: Saturday, August 26, 2017 @ 11:05 AM
BREVARD COUNTY, Fla. — A bug problem has ruined the football field at a Florida high school, prompting this week’s game to be played elsewhere.
Friday's game at Satellite High School in Brevard County against Eau Gallie High School was moved to Melbourne High School.
Officials said the problems were caused by mole crickets, a common turf grass pest.
The school district said it saw signs of the mole crickets in the spring and they did a preventative treatment.
Over the summer, the school installed new track and sprinklers were shut off.
Parents in the Touchdown Club, a booster group for the football team, said they expressed concerns about doing that so close to football season.
They said they saw brown spots on the field last month. A turf expert from a golf course came out to look at it and said it's the worst case of mole crickets he had ever seen, parents said.
“My heart breaks, and I feel bad for the senior football players. (They) played in this program for four years and potentially might not have a home game,” said parent Bert Gamin.
The district said by that point, there were adult mole crickets that are very hard to get rid of and more treatments failed. The non-native insects tunnel underground and eat the roots and shoots of the grass. The district said the field was too dangerous for a game, so the game had to be moved. The district has been rolling out new dirt so they can, at some point, try to grow new grass.
Published: Monday, April 24, 2017 @ 1:29 PM
— A South Florida high school student, who is facing a felony charge, will not be allowed to take part in spring football practice while wearing an ankle monitor after school officials read a newspaper story about it online.
A judge’s order had allowed Shelley Singletary to participate in spring practices, as well as attend classes at Boca Raton High School, and the 18-year-old apparently was set to practice Monday in the team’s first season practice.
But hours after a story on Singletary was published, Boca Raton High principal Susie King informed the school’s football staff that Singletary could not take part in any team functions until his criminal court case is resolved.
School officials apparently were not aware that Singletary had been cleared to practice until they read the story by the Palm Beach Post.
Singletary, 18, is accused of a robbery in January during which he allegedly forcibly removed an 11-year-old’s Air Jordan sneakers and tried to steal his bicycle.
Judge Samantha Schosberg Feuer modified the terms of Singletary’s house arrest on March 16 allowing him to practice, but only if he wears an ankle monitor.
“The student has been cleared by a judge to participate in activities,” according to a statement released by the Palm Beach County School District. “However, he has not been cleared by Boca Raton Community High School to practice or be part of the school’s football team. At this time, he is in no way affiliated with the team or the spring season.”
Singletary, who will be a junior in the next school year, will be allowed to continue attending classes.
Singletary, a 5-foot-10, 170-pound running back and defensive back, is ranked by MaxPreps, a college football recruiting website, as the state’s No. 193 prospect.
The University of Kentucky has reportedly offered Singletary a football scholarship for 2018, according to 24/7 Sports, but NCAA rules prohibit schools from publicly discussing recruits until they sign letters of intent.
Singletary could not be reached for comment.