Bias going out a winner

Published: Saturday, April 13, 2013 @ 12:03 AM
Updated: Saturday, April 13, 2013 @ 12:03 AM


            Fairmont head coach Hank Bias discusses a call with a referee after technical fouls were called on both teams late in the second period of game at West Carrollton Friday, Jan. 2. Fairmont came out on top in overtime 68 to 67.
            jan underwood
Fairmont head coach Hank Bias discusses a call with a referee after technical fouls were called on both teams late in the second period of game at West Carrollton Friday, Jan. 2. Fairmont came out on top in overtime 68 to 67.(jan underwood)

HANK BIAS FILE

12: Seasons at Fairmont.

6-18: Last season.

146-165: Firebirds career record.

Best seasons: 17-6 in 2005-06; 17-7 in 2006-07.

Other schools as head coach: Yellow Springs, North Bend Taylor.

Hank Bias knew it was time, three years ago.

“If I had to do it all over again, that would be the time to step away,” said Bias, who resigned after 13 years as Fairmont High School’s boys varsity basketball coach last week. “We were at the top of our game.”

Soon after Bias resigned, Fairmont girls basketball coach Tim Cogan also resigned to take over the Carroll boys program. That made for a rare double-whammy in a high-profile sport at one of the biggest schools in the state.

Joe Petrocelli also has retired after 50 years of coaching Alter’s boys. That means of the four basketball head coaching positions at the two signature Kettering schools, only Alter girls coach Chris Hart will return next season.

Fairmont’s boys had two straight 15-win teams from 2008-10, both of which played for district titles. But a drop in talent wasn’t the only thing ailing Fairmont soon after.

“If you don’t have at least one scholarship player on your team, you’re going to have trouble in our league,” said Bias.

Bias underwent hip surgery that offseason. Worse, he developed bilateral pulmonary embolism, big words for five blood clots that had settled in his lungs. It often is fatal.

“I probably should have taken a leave of absence,” he said.

Instead, Fairmont wobbled the next three seasons with six, seven and six wins. Loyal to the end, Bias sensed it was time for a coaching change.

“The Firebirds need new energy,” he said. “They need a new face. It’s time. I understand that. You gotta win some games. I want that for the boys. I’m their biggest fan.”

Bias said it was his call to resign; he wasn’t forced out. But it’s no secret that the boys recent lack of success was a growing concern.

Ironically, that coincided with the Fairmont girls program taking off, winning the Division I state title this past season and making the final four the last four years.

With state-of-the-art facilities and extra-large enrollment (881 boys; 877 girls), athletic director Chris Weaver said he expects all Fairmont teams to be factors at the conference, district and ideally regional levels.

“When those things don’t happen, that’s certainly a part of the evaluation process,” he said. “I know what the standard of expectations are that we have. Absolutely, it’s part of the puzzle.”

Bias, 55, is about 18 months away from retiring. He’s part of the Kettering Alternative School unit at the Barnes Continuing Education Center.

He’s been a coach at various levels for 40 years, including five as an assistant at Northern Kentucky University.

If he returns to coaching, it won’t be anytime soon. He plans to move his family to Arizona. He already is hooked up as a speaker, addressing team motivation.

He’s upbeat; he’s grateful. He’s going out with a winning attitude.

“It’s been an incredibly great ride,” he said. “I’m profoundly thankful to everyone at Fairmont, around the league and even those guys with stripped shirts on.”

High school football player ejected after body-slamming opponent

Published: Saturday, September 30, 2017 @ 11:53 AM



Jennifer Marr/Freeimages
(Jennifer Marr/Freeimages)

A high school football player was ejected Friday night after he body-slammed a player from the opposing team to the ground.

A video clip that captured the wrestling move was posted on Twitter.

>> Read more trending news

The game was between Gibbs High School and Sevier County. After a play, a player from Sevier County picked up a Gibbs player and body-slammed him to the ground.

The player who ended up on the ground was not injured, the Knoxville News-Sentinel reported.

The player who committed the infraction was ejected and by rule, will have to sit out the next game.

Sevier County's coach told the Knoxville News-Sentinel that his player lost his composure, and that the game had been physical on both sides.

Gibbs came away with the victory, beating Sevier County 42-24

High School Football: Five games to watch in Week 6

Published: Monday, September 25, 2017 @ 5:41 PM


            Wayne QB Rashad McKee unloads a pass while Fred Pitts blocks. Wayne defeated host Centerville 45-8 in a GWOC National East Division Week 6 game on Friday, Sept. 30, 2016. MARC PENDLETON / STAFF
Wayne QB Rashad McKee unloads a pass while Fred Pitts blocks. Wayne defeated host Centerville 45-8 in a GWOC National East Division Week 6 game on Friday, Sept. 30, 2016. MARC PENDLETON / STAFF

We’re at the halfway point of the high school football regular season.

Here are five games to watch in Week 6:

Centerville at Wayne

You always circle this one on the calendar, but this year could be really special.

»RELATED: Who are the best players ever from Dayton area?

»RELATED: Week 5 recap

»RELATED: Last week’s power rankings

The undefeated Elks have answered every challenge through the first five weeks. The Warriors have bounced back from a season-opening loss with four straight wins, though they were pushed to double overtime before prevailing at Northmont last week.

The Warriors have won the last two games in the series, 45-8 and 56-17.

Miamisburg at Fairmont

A couple of teams coming off losses last week. For the Firebirds, it was their first of the season when they failed to find the end zone at Beavercreek.

Meanwhile, Miamisburg is riding a two-game losing streak with successive losses to Wayne and Troy.

Covington at Miami East

The Vikings made a huge statement on the road last week, scoring 50 points at previously unbeaten Bethel.

After starting the season on a three-game skid, Covington has won back-to-back games. The Buccs are showing signs of once again being a contender in the Cross County Conference race.

This is the Touchdown 7 Arbys Game of the Week .

Valley View at Bellbrook

Unbeaten Valley View scooped up a boatload of playoff points with a convincing 34-3 win at home against Franklin last week.

The Spartans will have to do more than just show up at Bellbrook. The Golden Eagles have won four in a row after a season-opening loss.

Anna at Marion Local

Just another battle of unbeaten in the Midwest Athletic Conference, but this time it’s the final two unbeaten teams in the toughest league in the state.

Marion Local hasn’t been scoring a lot of points this season, but the Flyers defense has held four of their five opponents to less than 10 points.

Anna is averaging 40 points per game.

Make sure you join us for all of the Week 6 action on Touchdown 7 on Friday at 11:13 p.m. on WHIO-TV.

Mole crickets prompt officials to move Florida high school football game

Published: Saturday, August 26, 2017 @ 11:05 AM

File image of mole cricket.
DEA / M. GIOVANOLI/De Agostini/Getty Images
File image of mole cricket.(DEA / M. GIOVANOLI/De Agostini/Getty Images)

A bug problem has ruined the football field at a Florida high school, prompting this week’s game to be played elsewhere.

Friday's game at Satellite High School in Brevard County against Eau Gallie High School was moved to Melbourne High School.

Officials said the problems were caused by mole crickets, a common turf grass pest.

The school district said it saw signs of the mole crickets in the spring and they did a preventative treatment.

Over the summer, the school installed new track and sprinklers were shut off.

>> Read more trending news

Parents in the Touchdown Club, a booster group for the football team, said they expressed concerns about doing that so close to football season.

They said they saw brown spots on the field last month. A turf expert from a golf course came out to look at it and said it's the worst case of mole crickets he had ever seen, parents said.

“My heart breaks, and I feel bad for the senior football players. (They) played in this program for four years and potentially might not have a home game,” said parent Bert Gamin.

The district said by that point, there were adult mole crickets that are very hard to get rid of and more treatments failed. The non-native insects tunnel underground and eat the roots and shoots of the grass. The district said the field was too dangerous for a game, so the game had to be moved. The district has been rolling out new dirt so they can, at some point, try to grow new grass.

Next week, there is another home game. The plan is to play on an all-dirt field, district officials said.

High school football star practicing with ankle monitor, booted from practice

Published: Monday, April 24, 2017 @ 1:29 PM

Boca Raton High School football player Shelley Singletary is pictured here at a game in Sept. of 2016. He’s practicing at spring training this week wearing an ankle monitor after his arrest in January on robbery charges. 
Richard Graulich / The Palm Beach Post
Boca Raton High School football player Shelley Singletary is pictured here at a game in Sept. of 2016. He’s practicing at spring training this week wearing an ankle monitor after his arrest in January on robbery charges. (Richard Graulich / The Palm Beach Post)

A South Florida high school student, who is facing a felony charge, will not be allowed to take part in spring football practice while wearing an ankle monitor after school officials read a newspaper story about it online.

A judge’s order had allowed Shelley Singletary to participate in spring practices, as well as attend classes at Boca Raton High School, and the 18-year-old apparently was set to practice Monday in the team’s first season practice.

>> Read more trending news

But hours after a story on Singletary was published, Boca Raton High principal Susie King informed the school’s football staff that Singletary could not take part in any team functions until his criminal court case is resolved.

School officials apparently were not aware that Singletary had been cleared to practice until they read the story by the Palm Beach Post.

>> Related: Father of NFL hopeful killed in south Florida

Singletary, 18, is accused of a robbery in January during which he allegedly forcibly removed an 11-year-old’s Air Jordan sneakers and tried to steal his bicycle.

Judge Samantha Schosberg Feuer modified the terms of Singletary’s house arrest on March 16 allowing him to practice, but only if he wears an ankle monitor.

“The student has been cleared by a judge to participate in activities,” according to a statement released by the Palm Beach County School District. “However, he has not been cleared by Boca Raton Community High School to practice or be part of the school’s football team. At this time, he is in no way affiliated with the team or the spring season.”

Singletary, who will be a junior in the next school year, will be allowed to continue attending classes.

>> Got a question about the news? See our explainers here

Singletary, a 5-foot-10, 170-pound running back and defensive back, is ranked by MaxPreps, a college football recruiting website, as the state’s No. 193 prospect.

The University of Kentucky has reportedly offered Singletary a football scholarship for 2018, according to 24/7 Sports, but NCAA rules prohibit schools from publicly discussing recruits until they sign letters of intent.

Singletary could not be reached for comment.

Court records show that his next court appearance is scheduled for June 19.