Jameis Winston says boys should be strong, girls silent and gentle during school appearance

Published: Thursday, February 23, 2017 @ 11:15 AM
Updated: Thursday, February 23, 2017 @ 11:15 AM


            CHARLOTTE, NC - OCTOBER 10: Jameis Winston #3 of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers warms up before the game against the Carolina Panthers at Bank of America Stadium on October 10, 2016 in Charlotte, North Carolina. (Photo by Grant Halverson/Getty Images)
            Getty Images
CHARLOTTE, NC - OCTOBER 10: Jameis Winston #3 of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers warms up before the game against the Carolina Panthers at Bank of America Stadium on October 10, 2016 in Charlotte, North Carolina. (Photo by Grant Halverson/Getty Images)(Getty Images)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston said something Wednesday during an elementary school appearance that he wishes he could take back, like an errant pass.

Winston was speaking to third- through fifth-graders at Melrose Elementary, according to the Tampa Bay Times. At one point, when the kids appeared to be losing interest, Winston had the boys in the room stand up, while telling the girls to sit down. He told the boys, "All my boys, stand up. We strong, right? We strong! We strong, right? All my boys, tell me one time: I can do anything I put my mind to. Now a lot of boys aren't supposed to be soft-spoken."

>> Read more trending stories

Winston said about girls: "But the ladies, they're supposed to be silent, polite, gentle. My men, my men (are) supposed to be strong. I want y'all to tell me what the third rule of life is: I can do anything I put my mind to. Scream it!"

According to a school staffer, a female student turned to her after Winston spoke and said, "I'm strong too."

Afterward, Winston claimed that he misspoke: "During my talk, I used a poor word choice that may have overshadowed that positive message for some."

As ESPN reported, Winston has been working on rehabilitating his image. In 2012, while playing football at Florida State University, Winston was accused of sexually assaulting a female student. While Winston was never charged with a crime, last year he settled a federal lawsuit filed by the woman. The school also settled with the woman last year.

New Orleans Saints trade LB Stephone Anthony to Miami Dolphins

Published: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 @ 9:07 PM

The New Orleans Saints have trade linebacker Stephone Anthony to the Miami Dolphins. In exchange for the 25-year-old defender, the Dolphins sent the Saints a fifth-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

This move makes perfect sense for the Dolphins given the bizarre situation surrounding veteran linebacker Lawrence Timmons, who was a free agent acquisition the offseason. Timmons went AWOL on Saturday and into Sunday, which caused team officials to notify authorities of his disappearance. The team finally tracked him down, and Timmons was supposedly doing better. Despite his intentions to return to football immediately, Miami suspended the 31-year-old linebacker indefinitely on Tuesday morning.

Anthony was a first-round pick of the Saints in 2015 (No. 31 overall), and he flashed big-time potential as a rookie in 2015. The former Clemson standout fell out of favor with New Orleans during the 2016 season, which caused the Saints to shop him this past offseason. He now has a chance to resurrect his NFL career with the Dolphins, who have one of the better defenses in the league.

Broncos pose legit threat to Patriots and Steelers

Published: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 @ 5:41 PM

Two weeks into the season, it’s becoming clear that the Denver Broncos are legitimate threats in the AFC once again.

Two years removed from a Super Bowl championship but coming off a disappointing 9-7 season, there were legitimate questions about whether or not their window had closed. The run defense was pitiful in 2016, they had issues at quarterback and they couldn’t establish a running game of their own.

And, while the Broncos had made some effort to address at least two of those three issues during the offseason, there was still reason to be concerned heading into the season. But in the early going they look like they’ve made considerable gains and look capable of challenging the New England Patriots and, to a lesser extent, the Pittsburgh Steelers atop the conference.

A revamped offensive line has done a much better job at keeping Trevor Siemian protected and they’ve paved the way for C.J. Anderson to generate a fearsome rushing attack. But perhaps the single most impressive gains they’ve made have been with their rushing defense.

The Broncos have smothered two extremely talented running games in their first two weekends of the season. And considering how they already pressure the quarterback and the talent in their secondary, that gives them a defense capable of dominating games once again, just as they did in 2015.

With even average offensive production, they’re title contenders under those circumstances. But if Trevor Siemian can perform at the level he has over a larger sample size and C.J. Anderson can stay healthy, they just might be the front-runners.

Things change rapidly in this league and so a down year like what we saw in 2016 does a lot to cleanse our minds of the memories of what this franchise has been. However, it’s already looking like 2016 was the aberration and that this team is for real once again and that’s not an overreaction.

If anything, assuming they were done in 2016 was the overreaction.

Dallas Cowboys release Jayrone Elliott to make room for Damontre Moore

Published: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 @ 4:36 PM

The Dallas Cowboys are getting Damontre Moore back from suspension this week and they were required to make a corresponding move on Tuesday.

The team announced that they’d be releasing linebacker Jayrone Elliott according to David Helman of DallasCowboys.com, which may come as something of a surprise considering that they just traded for him earlier this month. They also announced that Nate Theaker had been released from their practice squad and that they’d re-signed Jameill Showers.

The Cowboys acquired Elliott from the Packers for a conditional seventh-round pick at the 2018 NFL Draft. The conditions of the trade weren’t announced or reported, so it’s possible that the Cowboys won’t have to forfeit anything since Elliott didn’t hit certain benchmarks.

Despite making the 53-man roster, Elliott didn’t dress for either of the Cowboys’ first two games. So if they can move on without giving up a pick, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that they’ve moved on.

Moore was suspended the first two games of the season for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy. The former third-round pick has already been with four teams in his short NFL career.

The Cowboys now make his fifth team in as many years. They’ll hope that he can provide some additional depth along the defensive line.

Miami Dolphins suspend Lawrence Timmons indefinitely

Published: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 @ 4:21 PM

The bizarre situation involving Miami Dolphins linebacker Lawrence Timmons has taken another twist.

Timmons has been suspended indefinitely by the Dolphins, the team announced on Tuesday.

Miami’s announcement comes less a day after Timmons declared that he wanted to resume football activities immediately. Tuesday’s news put a halt to those plans.

Timmons is off to an inauspicious start in South Beach.

Week 2 was supposed to be Timmons’ debut with the Dolphins. Instead he went AWOL on Saturday and into Sunday to the point where team officials notified authorities of the disappearance. He was reportedly found Sunday morning at LAX.

All 22 will have more on Timmons soon.