breaking news

breaking news


First Four staying at UD Arena through 2022

Published: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 @ 10:12 AM

The University of Dayton Arena was built n 1969 and has hosted more than 100 NCAA men's basketball tournament games.

The First Four will stay at UD Arena through 2022, the NCAA announced Tuesday. Dayton had secured the games through 2018, and it gets the games for at least four more years.

MORE

» UD bids for First Four through 2022

» Dayton hosts tournament for 17 straight year

» Explore UD Arena’s tournament history

"We are proud that the University of Dayton, The Big Hoopla, and our community partners will continue to be the tip-off for the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship," UD Vice-President and Director of Athletics Neil Sullivan said in a press release. "We appreciate that the NCAA has entrusted all of us in the Dayton region with this responsibility. It is not something that we take lightly. As in the past, we will continue to deliver capacity crowds and a premier championship experience for teams, tournament officials, fans, visiting media and broadcast partners. It's great that UD Arena will continue to be part of one of the nation's premier sporting events."

First Four announcement

UD Arena was not successful its bid to host games in the first or second rounds in 2021 or 2022. Columbus will host the first and second rounds in 2019 at Nationwide Arena. Cincinnati will host the first and second rounds at U.S. Bank Arena in 2022.

UD has played host to the First Four since 2011. Prior to that, the opening-round game of the NCAA men’s basketball tournament, or play-in game, was played at UD Arena every season from 2001-10. Dayton sought a 10-year commitment from the NCAA in 2013, but the NCAA decided against a long-term commitment.

Dayton won a three-year bid in 2014, keeping the First Four through 2018. It bid last August to host the games from 2019-22. It also bid at that time to host games in the first and second rounds in 2021 and 2022.

Three other cities bid for the First Four: Evansville, Ind.; Detroit; and Hershey, Pa.

Dayton last hosted games in the first and second rounds in 2013. UD Arena has host 117 NCAA tournament games, more than any other venue. With 20 games in the next five seasons, that number will grow to 137.

NCAA champion South Carolina women decline White House invitation

Published: Friday, November 17, 2017 @ 4:29 AM

Univ. of South Carolina Women’s Basketball Team Decline White House Invite

South Carolina women’s basketball coach Dawn Staley said the only invitation that interests her is one to the 2018 NCAA Tournament.

>> Read more trending news

That was one of the reasons why Staley declined an invitation from the White House to attend a ceremony Friday to honor college sports’ championship teams, ESPN reported.

“We did hear from the White House about attending tomorrow's event, but we will not be able to attend,” Staley said in a statement. “As I've been saying since our practices for this season started, all of our focus is on the season ahead. The only invitation we are thinking about is to the 2018 NCAA Tournament.”

The White House did not provide a list of the teams attending, ESPN reported.

The Gamecocks won their first national championship in April. At the time, Staley said the team would go to the White House because “it's what it stands for. It's what national champions do.”

However, Staley told The Associated Press in September that the South Carolina squad had yet to receive an invitation.

“That in itself speaks volumes,” she said, adding that she was not sure the Gamecocks would accept an invitation after “some things transpired over the last few months,” ESPN reported.

President Donald Trump hosted the 2016 NCAA football champion Clemson Tigers at the White House in June. The University of North Carolina's 2017 national championship men's basketball team said earlier this year it could not agree on a date for a visit.

Teams named for 2018 World Flying Disc Championships in Warren County

Published: Thursday, November 16, 2017 @ 1:37 PM


            The 2018 World Flying Disc Federation (WFDF) will be held at the Lebanon Sports Complex, as well as a handful of other facilities within Warren County. Photo by DISCRAFT
The 2018 World Flying Disc Federation (WFDF) will be held at the Lebanon Sports Complex, as well as a handful of other facilities within Warren County. Photo by DISCRAFT

The list of teams from around the world competing in a world championship to be decided next year in Warren County has been announced, according to the Warren County Convention & Visitors Bureau.

The World Flying Disc Federation (WFDF) Championships is to be be held at the Lebanon Sports Complex, as well as a handful of other facilities within Warren County.

Exact locations beyond the Lebanon Sports Complex are still being finalized.

The tournament is scheduled to be held July 14 to July 21. The Lebanon complex is at 900 McClure Road.

RELATED: Warren County up for world championship

The list includes 128 teams from 40 countries - 48 teams in the Mixed Division, 40 in the Women’s Division and 40 in the Men’s Division, totaling nearly 4,000 athletes in all.

The event is held every four years. City club teams endorsed by their national federations play for the championship.

RELATED: Warren County selected for flying disc world championships

“We are excited to be hosting our largest premier event next year, the World Ultimate Club Championships, in the US,” Robert Rauch, WFDF president, said in a press release.

“We will be commemorating the 50th anniversary of the sport, which was developed at Columbia High School in Maplewood, NY in 1968. Moreover, with so much of WFDF’s growth in National Federations coming from Eastern Europe, Latin America, Africa and Asia, it is gratifying to see so many new countries travelling to North America for the first time,” he added.

FOLLOW LAWRENCE BUDD ON TWITTER

With just a few more national championships to be held, the team list is now almost complete. This list will remain provisional until a final list of teams is published with the schedule next year.

Warren County Sports, a division of the Warren County Convention & Visitors Bureau (WCCVB), along with Cincinnati Ultimate Players Association, will manage the tournament.

Ben Huffman, director of sports marketing for the WCCVB, estimates the tournament will generate approximately $3 million in economic impact for Warren County, while also accounting for more than 10,000 room nights at local hotels and bed & breakfasts.

The World Ultimate Club Championships, first held in 1989, were last hosted in 2014 in Lecco, Italy, where they featured 3,800 athletes on 129 teams from 39 countries.

The provisional list is available here: http://wfdf.org/images/wucc-list-sheet1.pdf

Hope Solo accuses former FIFA president of sexual assault

Published: Saturday, November 11, 2017 @ 12:47 AM

Hope Solo and Sepp Blatter announce Abby Wambach as FIFA women's player of the year during the Ballon d'Or Gala in 2013.
Christof Koepsel/Getty Images
Hope Solo and Sepp Blatter announce Abby Wambach as FIFA women's player of the year during the Ballon d'Or Gala in 2013.(Christof Koepsel/Getty Images)

United States women’s national team goalkeeper Hope Solo accused former FIFA president Sepp Blatter of sexually assaulting her in 2013, ESPN reported.

>> Read more trending news

Solo told Expresso that Blatter grabbed her buttocks before the pair went on stage in 2013 to present an award to Solo’s teammate, Abby Wambach.

“It's been normalized,” Solo said of such behavior.

A representative for Blatter called the allegation “ridiculous” in a statement to Expresso and The Guardian.

Solo and Blatter walked onstage together in January 2013 to present the 2012 women's world player of the year award to Wambach.

“I was in shock and completely thrown off," Solo told The Guardian on Friday. “I had to quickly pull myself together to present my teammate with the biggest award of her career and celebrate with her in that moment, so I completely shifted my focus to Abby.”

Solo said she never saw Blatter again after the ceremony, ESPN reported. 

“That was kind of bad,” she told Expresso. “I didn't get to tell him directly. ‘Don't ever touch me!’ That's the way I've always handled things. Directly.”

Blatter, now 81, was banned by FIFA in 2015 over a conflict of interest case.

“While in this instance it was Sepp Blatter, who was the most powerful man in football at the time, sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior are rampant at every level in women's sport, and it needs to stop,” Solo said.

 

Tennessee State player expelled after punching coach on sideline

Published: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 @ 4:59 PM

College Football Player Expelled For Punching Coach

After punching his coach on the sideline, a Tennessee State University football player has been dismissed from the team and expelled from school, according to a report by the Tennessean.

>> Read more trending news

Senior defensive end Latrelle Lee hit the Tigers strength coach T.J. Greenstone twice in the head Saturday and then knocked him to the ground on the sideline.

The Tennessean reported Tennessee State athletics director Teresa Phillips said Lee was kicked off the team by head football coach Rod Reed.

The 22-year-old from Dothan, Alabama, was expelled from the college on Monday, according to the Tennessean.