Cincinnati Reds name Opening Day starter

Published: Monday, March 20, 2017 @ 1:16 PM
Updated: Monday, March 20, 2017 @ 5:35 PM


            SCOTTSDALE, AZ - FEBRUARY 27: Scott Feldman #37 of the Cincinnati Reds delivers a first inning against the Arizona Diamondbacks at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick on February 27, 2017 in Scottsdale, Arizona. (Photo by Norm Hall/Getty Images)

Scott Feldman pitched out of the bullpen last year at Houston, but by twists, turns and quirks of fate, he will be an Opening Day starter in Cincinnati this year at Great American Ball Park.

It will be his third Opening Day start and his second career appearance at Great American Ball Park.

›› RELATED: 5 things to know about Reds spring training win against Padres

Feldman, 34, started on Opening Day for Texas in 2010 against Toronto. The Reds hope that is an omen because that Rangers team went on to win the American League pennant.

Feldman also started Opening Day for Houston in 2014, and that Astros team lost 92 games.

“It’s pretty cool,” Feldman said. “I know about the history of Cincinnati, being like the capitol of Opening Day.”

When Feldman signed with the Reds, it was unknown what role he would have on the pitching staff. But manager Bryan Price early on named him as one of his three starters.

›› MORE: Reds going all out for bench spots

Anthony DeSclafani was the most likely to start on Opening Day, but he was shut down for a month with elbow problems and will start the season on the disabled list. Homer Bailey, the most tenured Reds’ starter, had surgery to remove bone chips from his elbow in early February, and won’t be available until at least June 1.

That brought the choice down to Brandon Finnegan and Feldman, the only two known to be in the Reds’ rotation to date.

“You can’t really predict the future,” Feldman said. “You have to stay ready for everything. It’s just an honor to get the ball on Opening Day. You want to get off to a good start and build on it for the rest of the season.”

Feldman has pitched in three Cactus League games this spring, allowing four earned runs, seven hits and two walks in eight innings of work.

›› RELATED: Hall of Famer answers your questions in Ask Hal

“I think Scott has the experience and the way he commands the strike zone, makes him the best candidate,” Price said. “My interpretation of Scott throughout spring training is exactly the guy we were looking for and we targeted, a veteran guy with a presence. He has a savvy that will serve us well.

“Part of the decision is the fact that we don’t have Homer or DeSclafani ready to go,” Price continued. “That being said, I couldn’t be happier to have Scott Feldman to be able to go to in this exact situation.”

The only other game Feldman pitched at Great American Ball Park was as the starter for the Chicago Cubs in 2013. He took the loss, pitching 5.1 innings while allowing five runs, including home runs to Joey Votto and Ryan Hanigan. Feldman also hit a home run off Bronson Arroyo.

Later that season Feldman was traded to Baltimore for Jake Arrieta.

Feldman signed a three-year contract with the Houston Astros in 2014. He made the Opening Day start for Houston against the New York Yankees in 2014. He made 18 starts for Houston in 2015 but spent most of last season in the bullpen. He was 5-3 with a 2.90 ERA in 26 appearances.

Feldman was traded to Toronto last August. He was 2-1 with an 8.40 ERA for Toronto in 14 relief appearances. The Reds signed Feldman to a one-year contract in January.

Scott Feldman

W-L; ERA; G; GS

2016 7-4; 3.97; 40; 5;

Career 71-77; 4.40; 321; 183;

OPENING DAY

Who: Phillies at Reds

Where: Great American Ball Park

When: Monday, April 3

First pitch: 4:10 p.m.

TV/Radio: FS Ohio, 700, 1410

WSU basketball player out of surgery and recovering 

Published: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 @ 3:52 PM
Updated: Friday, April 28, 2017 @ 10:48 AM

UPDATE @ 5:50 p.m.:

According to Ryan Custer’s recovery care page Ryan is out of surgery and recovering in his room. Doctors have informed the family that the procedure went well. According to Ryan’s father, Ryan is the third person in the world to get a 20 million count stem cell injection. Doctors estimate it will take a period of 60-90 days before any results will show. 

UPDATE April 28 @ 10:40 a.m.:

Ryan Custer, the Wright State basketball player who was injured diving into a makeshift pool at Miami University, is scheduled to undergo an extensive stem cell operation this morning at 11 a.m. 

George Custer, Ryan’s father, released on facebook the details of this procedure stating, “We are of course nervous, but Ryan is in good hands and Dr. Fessler told us although they have to open up his first incision on the back of his neck it is a lot less dangerous than his fusion surgery.” George Custer also advised that Ryan will have 20 million stem cells injected into his neck. 

Additionally, HBO is going to be at the hospital interviewing the Custer family and filming the actual procedure. George Custer said he will be give an update on Ryan’s procedure later in the day. 

EARLIER: George and Kim Custer, the parents of injured Wright State basketball player Ryan Custer, held a brief press conference Tuesday to afternoon at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center to give an update on their son’s condition and what lies ahead.

George, who got emotional multiple times during his 3 1/2 minute statement, said Ryan is being considered for a stem cell study at Rush University in Chicago.

“We just found out he leaves Friday morning at 8 o’clock,” he said. “There’s no guarantees, but he’ll be evaluated for five days and hopefully he’ll pass the test that they’re going to give him and he’ll receive an injection. And then he’ll be there seven to nine days afterward for further evaluation. At that time he’ll go to an in-patient rehabilitation facility.”

»RELATED: Wright State coach on injury: ‘It’s certainly hit everybody hard’

Ryan fractured his C5 vertebrae April 8 when he jumped into a makeshift pool during a party at Miami University. He was air-lifted to the UC Medical Center, where he is still recovering after doctors removed vertebrae fragments and shaved the C3, C4, C5 and C6 vertebrae.

»INITIAL REPORT: Wright State freshman critically injured at party

George said the family is encouraged by some of the small improvements Ryan has made recently.

“Over the past few days he’s shown some improvement in his touch and movement. He’s able to feel his fingers to the touch and he has slight movement in his fingertips. Right now he has hardly any feeling below his legs, although he has felt us rub the top of his feet and he said there’s been some tingling in his thighs and his feet.”

George also made a point to clarify that Ryan did not injure himself by diving off a balcony or through someone’s legs into the makeshift pool during an April 8 party at Miami University, as was stated in the police report.

Ryan is in good spirits but also “nervous and scared for his future,” George said, adding “He’s not sure what’s going to happen. But we’ve assure him he’s not going to make this journey alone. We’ll be right there with him.”

George and Kim, who did not take questions, wrapped the press conference by thanking everyone for their prayers and donations, and they asked that those prayers continue.

“The more prayers we have, maybe God will answer our prayers and give him the healing he needs,” George said. “The only answers we can come up with through this whole terrible situation is that Ryan has and will be an inspiration to other people. He’s a very special kid and everyone’s going to see how tough, determined and resilient his spirit truly is.”

Meet the Dayton Dragons: Cassidy Brown, catcher

Published: Friday, April 28, 2017 @ 6:02 PM


            Dragons catcher Cassidy Brown is from Columbus and played in high school at Walsh Jesuit. MARC PENDLETON / STAFF

Who: Cassidy G. Brown

Position: Catcher

Number: 39

Personal: R/R; 6-3, 215 pounds

Born: July 21, 1994 (22)

Birthplace: Columbus, Ohio

College: Loyola Marymount

Drafted: By Reds in 12th round in 2016.

Notable: Max Preps Ohio player of the year in 2013 at Walsh Jesuit. Had outstanding career at Loyola after slow start. A backup to Tyler Stephenson.

OHSFCA North-South football games Saturday at Massillon

Published: Friday, April 28, 2017 @ 5:27 PM

Wayne senior center Ben Jackson (left) will play on the South Divisions I-III team. MARC PENDLETON / STAFF
MARC PENDLETON / STAFF

The Ohio High School Football Coaches Association North-South All-Star Football Games will be held at Paul Brown Tiger Stadium in Massillon on Saturday.

A combined Divisions IV-VII game is at noon, followed by the combined Divisions I-III game at 4 p.m.

The North head coaches are Mike Franklin of Sandusky (Divisions I-III) and Warren JFK’s Jeff Bayuk (Divisions IV-VII).

The South head coaches are Doug Frye of St. Marys Memorial (Divisions I-III) and Carlisle’s Mike Brown (Divisions IV-VII).

These games were held at Dayton’s Welcome Stadium the last three years.

The Miami Valley Football Coaches Association All-Star North-South Game will be held at 7 p.m. Friday, June 9 at Centerville High School.

OHSFCA NORTH VS. SOUTH ALL-STAR FOOTBALL GAMES

When: Saturday, April 29

Where: Paul Brown Tiger Stadium, Massillon

Noon: Combined Divisions IV-VII

4 p.m.: Combined Divisions I-III.

SOUTH DIVISIONS I-III

Coach: Doug Frye, St. Marys Memorial.

Assistant coaches: Brad Childers, Franklin; Tennyson Varney, Grove City; Kyle Prosser, Oak Hills, Mike Kopachy, Newark; Nick Yahl, St. Marys Memorial.

Area players

Beavercreek: Jack Knipper

Centerville: Michael Purcell

Edgewood: Greg Dingledine

Fairfield: James Mitchell

Franklin: Eric Robinson, Noah Kremer

Miamisburg: Jake Neatherton

Piqua: Tristan Cox

Ponitz: DeEdgar Cooks

Springfield: Kelley Kinser

Wayne: Ben Jackson

SOUTH DIVISIONS IV-VII

Coach: Mike Brown, Carlisle

Assistant coaches: Kurt Forrest, Mechanicsburg; Kevin Gunn, Cambridge; Terry Holbert, Logan Elm; Rusty Richards, Nelsonville York; Milan Smith, Harvest Prep.

Area players

Alter: Sam Ripley

Carlisle: Ridge Reed, Steve Summer

Coldwater: Zach Klosterman

Fort Recovery: Caleb Martin

Mechanicsburg: Dylan Hartley

FACEBOOK: For more high school sports you should like Marc Pendleton

Former Dayton Flyers recruit commits to Colorado

Published: Friday, April 28, 2017 @ 5:01 PM

Anthony Grant speaks at a press conference at UD Arena on April 1, 2017, in Dayton. David Jablonski/Staff

Former Dayton Flyers recruit McKinley Wright on Friday announced his commitment to the University of Colorado.

Dayton released Wright from his letter of intent after coach Archie Miller left for Indiana.

New Dayton coach Anthony Grant kept two signed recruits in the fold: Jordan Davis and Jordan Pierce. Wright and Nahziah Carter asked for their release.

Wright, a senior at Champlin Park High School who was named Mr. Basketball in Minnesota, ranked 158th in the Class of 2017, according to 247Sports.com.