Cincinnati Bengals unveil Color Rush uniforms

Published: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 @ 2:18 PM
Updated: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 @ 2:32 PM

Bengals unveil Color Rush jerseys

The Cincinnati Bengals today unveiled the Color Rush uniforms they will wear in their nationally televised Thursday Night Football game against the Miami Dolphins on Sept. 29.

Bengals players Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap and Tyler Boyd modeled the uniforms during the unveiling at the Cincinnati Zoo’s white tiger exhibit.

The uniforms resemble the look of the zoo’s famous white tigers with white pants and jerseys accented with black stripes.

“The albino tiger is rare, so this is going to be rare that the Bengals actually change their color combination,” Dunlap said. “We know how they are about sticking to tradition. This is going to be a new tradition, and I like the way the jerseys look.”

Boyd agreed.

“We didn’t have an idea what they were going to look like, but I knew at the end of the day whichever combination they chose I knew they were going to be sweet and we were going to be able to swag with them,” he said.

The NFL began using Color Rush uniforms on a limited basis in four Thursday night games last year, beginning with the New York Jets wearing all three and the Buffalo Bills all red on Nov. 12.

But unlike those teams, whose uniforms matched their helmets, the Bengals will stick with the traditional orange helmets due to logistics.

Three years ago the NFL put in a rule that teams could only have one helmet, and there would be no way to ship off 53 helmets to be painted — both the shells and the stripes — after the Sept. 25 Denver game and get them back in time for the Sept. 29 Miami game.

“That would be pretty dope if the orange was white on this helmet,” Dunlap said. “That would really set it off. But I think it’s still sweet.”

The orange helmets will accent the orange striped ‘B’ logo on the breastplate of the uniform as well as an orange Nike swoosh.

This year all 32 teams will wear a Color Rush scheme for one game. The Dolphins will counter the Bengals’ all-white scheme with an all-orange look.

BENGALS NEWS NOWLike our Facebook page to join the conversation

https://twitter.com/Bengals/status/775680520663425025

Report: Bengals Burfict won’t be suspended for kick

Published: Monday, October 23, 2017 @ 3:50 PM

CLEVELAND, OH - DECEMBER 6: Vontaze Burfict #55 of the Cincinnati Bengals reacts to a second quarter defensive stop while playing the Cleveland Browns at FirstEnergy Stadium on December 6, 2015 in Cleveland, Ohio. (Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)
Staff Writer
CLEVELAND, OH - DECEMBER 6: Vontaze Burfict #55 of the Cincinnati Bengals reacts to a second quarter defensive stop while playing the Cleveland Browns at FirstEnergy Stadium on December 6, 2015 in Cleveland, Ohio. (Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)(Staff Writer)

Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict caught no shortage of negative attention for his kick at Steelers fullback Roosevelt Nix. But it won’t get him suspended.

Burfict’s kick will be reviewed for a potential fine, but it won’t cost him any games.


The Bengals will be relieved to hear that - the team doesn’t need any additional obstacles. The Steelers will likely have their own reaction the next time the team’s meet on Monday Night Football Dec. 4.

The pros and cons of the Cincinnati Reds re-signing Zack Cozart

Published: Monday, October 23, 2017 @ 10:43 AM

Cincinnati Reds’ Zack Cozart hits a two-run home run off St. Louis Cardinals relief pitcher John Gant in the third inning of a baseball game, Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2017, in Cincinnati. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)
Associated Press
Cincinnati Reds’ Zack Cozart hits a two-run home run off St. Louis Cardinals relief pitcher John Gant in the third inning of a baseball game, Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2017, in Cincinnati. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)(Associated Press)

The Cincinnati Reds head into this offseason with fewer unknowns than last year, and there is a move that could eliminate one.

That would be bringing back Zack Cozart. 

The All-Star shortstop picked a great time to have the best season of his career, leaving him in position to cash in on the open market. 

Unless there is no one out there to bid on his services, in which case the best bet for both the Reds and Cozart could be a short-term reunion. 

Renaissance Reds: Looking back at those who keyed Cincinnati’s success

The case against Cozart is obvious: He’s 32 and has only had one great year since being called up in 2011. 

The Tennessee native has also had more than his share of injuries, including a leg issue that hindered him in the second half of 2017. 

A rebuilding team like the Reds doesn’t need to invest long term in a guy that age who isn’t a bona fide superstar like Joey Votto. 

And yet… there should be a price at which the team considers bringing him back for a year or two. 

RELATED: 7 ways Joey Votto’s season was a work of art

Cozart is a plus defender who may just be a late bloomer at the plate. Baseball is a game in which repetition is irreplaceable. Perhaps he’s finally found the approach and swing he needs to be an above-average hitter and that’s what he is going to be from now on. 

If so, he’s probably got a few years left (if he can stay healthy).  

Cozart can bat at a variety of spots in the lineup, which is a plus for a team that is sure to have some fluctuations as young players endure ups and downs. 

He also provides a veteran presence in the clubhouse and could be the type of glue guy needed to help this team transition from bottom-dweller to decent. 

The Reds have other candidates to play shortstop, but it’s not clear if Jose Peraza or Eugenio Suarez is really cut out for that position. 

Peraza is coming off a disappointing season while Suarez is probably better suited for third base or even the outfield. 

Then again, if the Reds aren’t going to be contenders in 2018 — getting back to .500 is probably a more realistic goal — maybe there’s nothing to lose by seeing what they have with those guys and living with the consequences. 

We can probably all agree a big, long-term investment in Cozart doesn’t make much sense, but a deal for 2018 might make the most sense for both sides if no one else comes in to offer that to him. 

 

High School Football State Poll: Where is your team ranked?

Published: Monday, October 23, 2017 @ 6:30 PM


            Belmont RB Elijah Malcolm. Belmont defeated Dunbar 42-0 in a season-opening high school football game at Welcome Stadium in Dayton on Thursday, Aug. 24, 2017. MARC PENDLETON / STAFF
            MARC PENDLETON / STAFF
Belmont RB Elijah Malcolm. Belmont defeated Dunbar 42-0 in a season-opening high school football game at Welcome Stadium in Dayton on Thursday, Aug. 24, 2017. MARC PENDLETON / STAFF(MARC PENDLETON / STAFF)

How a state panel of sports writers and broadcasters rates Ohio high school football teams in the weekly Associated Press poll of 2017, by OHSAA divisions, with won-lost record and total points (first-place votes in parentheses):

DIVISION I

1. Lakewood St. Edward (21) 9-0 253

2. Cleveland St. Ignatius (3) 8-1 194

3. Toledo Whitmer (2) 9-0 193

4. Hilliard Bradley 9-0 169

5. Cincinnati St. Xavier 8-1 139

6. Mentor 8-1 106

7. Centerville 8-1 95

8. Canton McKinley 8-1 57

9. Stow-Munroe Falls 8-1 56

10. Pickerington Central 9-0 40

Others receiving 12 or more points: Massillon Perry 27. Cincinnati Colerain 21. Wayne 13.

»RELATED: 5 games to watch in Week 10

»RELATED: Week 10 Schedule

»RELATED: Week 9 recap

DIVISION II

1. Avon (18) 9-0 224

2. Wadsworth (1) 9-0 187

3. Cincinnati Winton Woods (5) 8-1 184

4. Barberton 9-0 154

5. Akron Hoban 8-1 122

6. Cincinnati La Salle 7-2 109

7. Columbus Walnut Ridge (1) 9-0 107

8. Cincinnati Anderson 8-1 83

9. Sidney 8-1 48

10. Whitehouse Anthony Wayne 8-1 43

Others receiving 12 or more points: Olmsted Falls 29. Belmont 19.

DIVISION III

1. Trotwood-Madison (18) 9-0 230

2. Canfield (3) 9-0 180

3. Toledo Central Catholic (1) 8-1 171

4. Sandusky (2) 9-0 145

5. Medina Buckeye 9-0 138

6. Bay Village Bay (1) 9-0 128

7. Columbus Bishop Hartley 8-1 90

8. Clyde 8-1 74

9. Parma Padua 8-1 57

10. Alter 8-1 40

Others receiving 12 or more points: Goshen 32. Bellefontaine 17.

DIVISION IV

1. Steubenville (20) 9-0 226

2.Valley View (3) 9-0 199

3. Perry (1) 9-0 169

4. Shelby 9-0 152

5. Bellville Clear Fork 9-0 143

6. Cincinnati Wyoming 9-0 119

7. Clinton-Massie 8-1 72

8. Girard (1) 9-0 66

9. St. Marys Memorial 8-1 54

10. Poland Seminary 9-1 36

Others receiving 12 or more points: Newark Licking Valley 29. Gnadenhutten Indian Valley 17. Cortland Lakeview 14. London 13.

DIVISION V

1. Pemberville Eastwood (15) 9-0 213

2. Canfield S. Range (5) 9-0 202

(tie) Wheelersburg (4) 9-0 202

4. Portsmouth West 9-0 156

5. Orwell Grand Valley 9-0 119

6. Greeneview (1) 9-0 97

7. Archbold 8-1 96

8. Bethel-Tate 9-0 81

9. Marion Pleasant 8-1 70

10. Anna 7-2 41

Others receiving 12 or more points: Sullivan Black River 24. West Jefferson 23.

DIVISION VI

1. Marion Local (21) 9-0 233

2. Kirtland (3) 9-0 207

3. Mogadore (1) 8-0 183

4. Nelsonville-York 9-0 137

5. Rootstown 9-0 131

6. Findlay Liberty-Benton 8-1 96

7. Coldwater 7-2 92

8. Creston Norwayne 8-1 76

9. Lima Central Catholic 8-1 75

10. St. Henry 6-3 25

Others receiving 12 or more points: Chillicothe Southeastern 23. Mechanicsburg 12.

DIVISION VII

1. Norwalk St. Paul (16) 9-0 230

2. Dalton (9) 9-0 213

3. Danville 8-1 160

4. Convoy Crestview 8-1 154

5. Cleveland Cuyahoga Heights 7-1 126

6. Lehman Catholic 8-1 122

7. McComb 8-1 114

8. Canal Winchester Harvest Prep 8-1 80

9. Waterford 8-1 36

10. Lucas 7-2 22

Others receiving 12 or more points: Minster 19. Pandora-Gilboa 16. Edgerton 16. East Canton 13.

Jim Larranaga: 'I am Coach-3' in FBI college basketball probe

Published: Monday, October 23, 2017 @ 4:41 PM

Head coach Jim Larranaga of the Miami Hurricanes looks on during the game against the Buffalo Bulls  during the first round of the 2016 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament at Dunkin' Donuts Center on March 17, 2016 in Providence, Rhode Island.  (Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)
Maddie Meyer/Getty Images
Head coach Jim Larranaga of the Miami Hurricanes looks on during the game against the Buffalo Bulls during the first round of the 2016 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament at Dunkin' Donuts Center on March 17, 2016 in Providence, Rhode Island. (Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)(Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)

University of Miami coach Jim Larranaga said his legal team believes he is “Coach-3,” as noted in the Department of Justice report about the FBI investigation into college basketball’s underbelly.

>> Read more trending news

“I am grateful we have come to that conclusion,” said Larranaga, “as I know I did nothing wrong, and it is comforting to know none of my assistants are connected in any way.” He added that the U.S. attorney’s office has not confirmed the identity of “Coach-3.”

In a news conference at the Watsco Center, Larranaga addressed the media for the first time since the Sept. 26 complaint was unveiled in New York. Uncharacteristically, he read from a prepared statement. He fielded questions afterward from reporters about the emotional impact, but referred all inquiries about the investigation to his statement, which said he appreciated that the media had a job to do, but that he would not offer comment.

Larranaga’s full statement: 

Jim Larranaga reads from a prepared statement on his involvement in the FBI investigation into college basketball's underbelly.

Posted by Post on Miami Hurricanes on Monday, October 23, 2017

“I cannot state more emphatically that I absolutely have no knowledge of any wrongdoing by any member of our staff and I certainly have never engaged in the conduct that some have speculated about,” Larranaga said, holding a piece of paper with both hands.

“I have tried to live every single one of my 68 years on this earth with integrity, character, and humility. … To have those values that I cherish so dearly even questioned, is disheartening and disappointing.”

“Coach-3,” in the FBI report, was said to know about an Adidas executive and others conspiring to funnel some $150,000 to a 2018 recruit, later learned to be Orlando-based five-star wing Nassir Little. Little and his father signed statements, provided to The Post by Larranaga’s legal team, saying they accepted no money, never discussed payment with any of the men charged, and they and Miami did nothing wrong.

>> Related: Auburn, Oklahoma State, USC coaches among 10 charged with corruption

Asked about his relationship with former Adidas executive Jim Gatto, who was one of 10 men indicted by the FBI on conspiracy and fraud charges, Larranaga declined to comment, referring to the statement.

“It’s been a strain, physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually,” Larranaga said. “It’s something that’s there. I have to deal with it. I have the support of my wife and a wonderful family. I have the support of the university, my staff and players.”

Both Ja’Quan Newton and Bruce Brown, the two players Miami made available to the media, said they were not aware of the details of the investigation. They said practice has been as usual, and they’ve noticed no change in their coach.

“Around us, ‘Coach L’ isn’t going to show he’s hurt,” Newton said. “He’s so happy to be around us.”

Larranaga said he briefed his players on Sept. 26, along with UM Athletics Director Blake James.

10 Charged With Corruption In College Basketball

“They have nothing to do with this,” Larranaga said. “It hasn’t been talked about since.”

Asked how the investigation has affected recruiting, Larranaga said it has been a negative, but his staff is “very strong and resilient, and we’ll figure out a way to recruit successfully.”

UM does not have a verbal commitment for 2018. It had an official visit set up the weekend of Sept. 9 with five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley, but it was canceled when Hurricane Irma forced UM to evacuate the campus.

Asked if he has received messages of support from colleagues, Larranaga answered, “Yes.”

Asked if that has helped, Larranaga answered with the same flat, “Yes.”