Bengals sign two of top four draft picks

Published: Sunday, May 07, 2017 @ 1:45 PM
Updated: Sunday, May 07, 2017 @ 2:09 PM

Bengals WR responds to the challenge from Reds CF Billy Hamilton to a race and talks about his long lost baseball career.

The Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday signed first-round pick John Ross and fourth-round pick Carl Lawson.

Ross, a wide receiver from Washington whom the Bengals selected with the ninth overall pick, and Lawson, a linebacker out of Auburn, both signed four-year contracts. Ross’ contract includes a team option for a fifth year.

»RELATED: Bengals rookie says he was born to rush passer

Ross (5-foot-11, 188) clocked a NFL Scouting Combine record 4.22-second 40-yard dash. At Washington, he caught 81 passes for 1,150 yards and 17 touchdowns.

“It’s great for John that this part of it is out of the way,” Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said. “This gives him the opportunity to focus on finishing school and then football, and I think that’s important.”

»RELATED: Former Buckeye hoping to impress Bengals

Lawson (6-2, 261) played in 33 games with 20 starts at Auburn. He totaled 14 career sacks and 24 tackles for loss. Lawson had nine sacks last season.

»RELATED: Young linebackers getting noticed at rookie camp

The Bengals draft choices still unsigned are running back Joe Mixon (second round; Oklahoma), defensive end Jordan Willis (third round; Kansas State), wide receiver Josh Malone (fourth round; Tennessee), defensive tackle Ryan Glasgow (fourth round; Michigan), kicker Jake Elliott (fifth round; Memphis), offensive lineman J.J. Dielman (fifth round; Utah), linebacker Jordan Evans (sixth round; Oklahoma), safety Brandon Wilson (sixth round, Houston) and tight end Mason Schreck (seven round; Buffalo).

Report: Arkansas offers explanation for timing of Bret Bielema firing

Published: Friday, November 24, 2017 @ 8:12 PM

The Arkansas Razorbacks fired Bret Bielema following their 45-42 loss to Missouri on Friday night, but despite it being an expected move, the administration is getting significant pushback for how it let Bielema know he had been dismissed.

Bielema said in his postgame press conference that he was informed of his fate as head coach while he was walking off the field.

According to Arkansas radio host Bo Mattingly, a source within the athletic program explained the thinking behind the timing of firing Bielema so soon after the game’s conclusion.

Except that doesn’t explain why Bielema was not allowed to, at the very least, first address his team in the locker room following the close loss to Missouri. Firing him as he left the field is just brutal, as fans as well as Arkansas players on Twitter and an athletic director at another program have claimed.

Bielema, however, has handled the situation incredibly well, displaying and speaking with class and class only during his postgame and post-firing press conference.

What Barry Odom said after Missouri’s thrilling win over Arkansas

Published: Friday, November 24, 2017 @ 8:12 PM

At 1-5, many thought that Barry Odom would be on the hot seat. Since then the Tigers have won 6 straight games including a thrilling 48-45 win over Arkansas on Friday.

The Tigers and Razorbacks engaged in a back and forth affair, but the Tigers went on a 14-play, 75 yard drive that soaked up all but the final 5 seconds of the game. Kicker Tucker McCann booted a chip shot field goal to give the Tigers the winning score.

Missouri will now head to a bowl game in Odom’s second season. The Tigers also became the first time in SEC history to go from 0-4 in SEC play to finish 4-4. Quarterback Drew Lock also set the SEC passing touchdown record in the game.

Below is what Odom had to say following the win.

What Barry Odom said after Missouri’s big win

Missouri will now wait to find out the status of its bowl game. Odom’s counterpart, Bret Bielema, was fired from Arkansas after the game.

Wisconsin basketball takes redshirt off freshman center Nate Reuvers

Published: Friday, November 24, 2017 @ 8:09 PM

greg gard-wisconsin badgers-wisconsin basketball

Wisconsin men’s basketball has finished in the top-four of the Big Ten standings for an extremely long time.

For the 2017-18 season, though, thanks to a number of key departures from last year’s team — some think the Badgers may indeed finish outside the top-four. Big Ten play hasn’t begun yet in the early stages of this college basketball season, but five non-conference games have been played.

Wisconsin is 2-3 in those five games.

It should be noted, that while the Badgers are below .500, its last three games — that have resulted in losses — have come against No. 15 Xavier, No. 22 Baylor and No. 23 UCLA. The Badgers defeated South Carolina State and Yale to begin this season.

With the sub-par start to the season, an addition has been made to the front-court.

Nate Reuvers, a 6-foot-9 big who was ranked as a 4-star prospect coming out of high school, is making his Badgers debut Friday night against UW-Milwaukee. With the decision made, it is now official that Reuvers is no longer eligible to redshirt this season.

Outside of sophomore Ethan Happ, who has averaged 19 points and 9.6 rebounds per game so far this season, no other Badger averages over 11 points per game or 6 rebounds per game. Happ also leads the team in assists (4.0) and blocks (1.2) per contest as well.

With the addition of Reuvers to the rotation, the Badgers are clearly looking for help on its front line. That much is for sure.

The post Wisconsin basketball takes redshirt off freshman center Nate Reuvers appeared first on Land of 10.

Scott Frost responds to latest Florida, Nebraska rumors

Published: Friday, November 24, 2017 @ 8:09 PM

scott frost-florida-nebraska-rumors-press conference

Scott Frost was busy on Friday afternoon, coaching UCF to another win as the Golden Knights beat South Florida, 49-42 in thrilling fashion. But as Frost was on the sideline getting his current team to 11-0 in 2017, there was plenty of speculation on the internet about where Frost will coach next season.

Yahoo’s Pat Forde reported that Florida — which already has a coaching opening — was preparing to move on from Chip Kelly during its search, and it was “likely” that the Gators would target Frost. ESPN published a report a few hours later saying that Frost was meeting with officials from Florida this weekend.

After UCF’s game, Frost had a chance to respond to those reports at his postgame press conference, and he shot them down.

“I’m my own representative, and I’m going to be with my wife and baby (this weekend),” Frost said when asked about meeting with Florida.

Frost also said that he and his players “don’t even think about” coaching rumors surrounding him.

Frost is also one of the most likely candidates to take Nebraska’s job if the Cornhuskers part ways with Mike Riley. Riley and Nebraska finished the 2017 season with a 56-14 loss against Iowa. On Friday evening, Bleacher Report writer Lars Anderson said that Frost going to Nebraska was a “done deal.”

Frost, 42, played quarterback at Nebraska from 1995-1997 and is a fan favorite in Lincoln. He has quickly risen up the coaching ranks. Frost was hired by Oregon in 2009 and eventually was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2013. He was hired by UCF ahead of the 2016 season and is 17-7 as a head coach.

 

 

The post Scott Frost responds to latest Florida, Nebraska rumors appeared first on Land of 10.