I’m very excited to be working as a reporter for WHIO and Cox Media Group here in Dayton, Ohio.
I’m originally from Western Pennsylvania, just north of Pittsburgh. It didn’t take long for me to call Ohio home. I went to and graduated from Kent State University’s School of Journalism (Go Flashes!). My first job in TV was at KTVO in Ottumwa, Iowa where I was a news reporter, sports reporter, producer and anchor. Basically, I got to do it all. I then went to anchor and report at WCTV in Tallahassee, FL before coming here to the Miami Valley.
I love to run outside when the weather’s nice and there’s no question that I’m a huge movie buff. I’m probably quoting a movie right now. You might catch me at a local movie theater.
I really do enjoy chatting with viewers on Twitter and Facebook. So, feel free to reach out and talk about just about anything or a story idea. Thanks for allowing me into your homes to tell stories that matter to you.
- Where were you born?
- Where did you grow up?
- Cranberry Township just north of Pittsburgh
- What is your favorite TV show?
- Breaking Bad/Arrested Development
- What was the first thing you ever wanted to be?
- I have wanted to be a reporter since I can remember. I think at one time when I was young I wanted to be a police officer.
- How might someone have described you in high school?
- I was a band nerd. I loved playing saxophone in the marching and jazz bands
- What was your first job?
- Golf caddy at a local country club
- What was your first job in television?
- Reporter/Anchor at KTVO in Ottumwa, Iowa & Kirksville, Missouri
- What do you like about your job?
- Getting to do something different every day and not being stuck behind a desk.
- What do you not like about your job?
- A lot of working holidays but I still find time to be with friends and family
- What might people be surprised to know about you?
- I once finished in the top ten in a national trivia competition on U.S. presidents. Also, I’m a huge WWE fan.
- What advice would you have for someone wanting to go into the business?
- It’s not all glamorous. Be prepared to move far away to a very small town you’ve likely never heard of to start your career. Be ready to pay your dues and it will work out in the end.
- If you could only keep one 5-minute tape from your career what would be on it?
- I covered the first every female wrestler to qualify for the state wrestling tournament in Iowa. Wrestling in Iowa is like football in Texas. It’s incredible. Another story was getting to do a feature on deep sea fishing in the Gulf of Mexico. I also, sadly, had the opportunity to cover the Pulse Nightclub shooting in Orlando. Out of great tragedy we were able to tell incredible stories of hope and perseverance.
- Favorite book:
- Favorite CBS show:
- Favorite food:
- Steak and potatoes or lasagna
- Favorite hobby:
- Favorite music:
- Favorite travel destination:
Contact James Buechele