CLOSINGS AND DELAYS:

Noah's Ark Preschool-New Lebanon,

breaking news

severe weather


WPAFB to host first AF National Background Investigation Bureau hub

Published: Friday, November 10, 2017 @ 9:08 AM


            National Background Investigation Bureau Special Agent Josephine Dow meets with Jim Mitchell, 88th Air Base Wing operations chief, to finalize his personnel security investigation. The Air Force currently has more than 90,000 personnel security investigations backlogged. To mitigate, temporary National Background Investigation Bureau satellite hubs will be established on Air Force installations with large numbers of backlogged personnel security investigations.
National Background Investigation Bureau Special Agent Josephine Dow meets with Jim Mitchell, 88th Air Base Wing operations chief, to finalize his personnel security investigation. The Air Force currently has more than 90,000 personnel security investigations backlogged. To mitigate, temporary National Background Investigation Bureau satellite hubs will be established on Air Force installations with large numbers of backlogged personnel security investigations.

To reduce the number of personnel security investigations backlogged in the Air Force, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base on Oct. 31 became the first installation in the Air Force to host a temporary National Background Investigation Bureau hub.

More than 90,000 investigations are currently backlogged in the Air Force.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/emergency-response-tested-during-base-wide-exercise/HjuKe64cEwuOIqSdo2oMCK/

The Dayton region is the third highest region in the United States for backlogged cases with approximately 2,000 cases currently open. To reduce the number of cases, temporary National Background Investigation Bureau satellite hubs will be set up on Air Force installations with large numbers of backlogged personnel security investigations.

“This is not the fix to the systemic backlog but rather an effort to drive-down the steep numbers for the short term while the Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence and the Office of Personnel Management work on broader initiatives,” said Terry Reynolds, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center’s information protection collateral security lead. “Wright-Patterson Air Force Base is the first location for this effort, and there are several other follow-on locations planned so this installation will set the standard for how this is executed across the Air Force.”

More than 3,000 personnel security investigations are submitted annually from Wright-Patterson.

The National Background Investigation Bureau determined that investigators had been spending a significant amount of time locating and traveling to interviewees. The pilot National Background Investigation Bureau Hub at Wright-Patterson AFB will test the approach of a more deliberate scheduling combined with interviews being performed at a single location. The goal is to dramatically reduce the time investigators spend on traveling and tracking down interviewees resulting in condensing 52 weeks of field work down to 12.

Operating until Jan. 19, 2018, the National Background Investigation Bureau hub on Wright-Patterson AFB employs 25 agents at a central location in Area A to conduct personnel security investigation interviews. Another team of agents are also assigned to conduct interviews at off-base locations.

Those who will be interviewed will be notified via ETMS to schedule an appointment for their interview with an agent.

“It is important to note the those who require an interview at this point in their clearance will be contacted,” said Deena Hartell, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center’s personnel security lead. “We have had several instances of people who have recently been submitted for an investigation and have tried to contact our schedulers to see if they can get their interview done while the hub is here. Those who are being interviewed had already been identified in advance and will receive their e-mail notifications to schedule an appointment.”

Hartell said those who will be interviewed should look for an e-mail from ETMS with the subject “Mandatory Appointment – Background Investigation.” Those who receive the notification have 48 hours to schedule an appointment in ETMS. In order to expedite the interview process, interviewees are asked to bring the following items to the interview:

• Common access card (CAC)

• Passport

• Any financial information related to financial delinquencies or issues

• Cell phone or address book with contact information for personnel contact sources (this is only a means for the interviewee to provide contact information; agents will not look through the phone)

• Copies of any SF 86Cs (changes or updates to your SF86 since originally signed)

On average, interviews will last approximately 30 minutes but can take as long as two hours.

Supervisors and co-workers of interviewees will also be interviewed as part of the investigation. Hartell asks when contacted by an agent, to be responsive in scheduling an appointment so the investigation can be completed.

For questions regarding the National Background Investigation Bureau hub or personnel security investigations, personnel should contact their unit security manager.

Trending - Most Read Stories

6-year-old boy falls into creek; recovery effort to continue Monday

Published: Sunday, February 25, 2018 @ 6:21 PM
Updated: Sunday, February 25, 2018 @ 9:02 PM

Water rescue underway involving boy

UPDATE @9:04 p.m.

Deputies said search efforts for a 6-year-old boy who fell into Mosquito Creek have been to no avail and is now considered a recovery.

Rescue crews will reconvene on scene in the morning to continue looking for the boy, who has not been identified.

Shelby County Sheriff Sgt. Aaron Steinke said the search entailed boats in the water and a helicopter using infrared to search for body heat. He said due to the rough terrain and the strong current, search crews are being called off for the night.

>> Weekend rain sets record; how much did you get?

Deputies will remain on scene through the night, and the road will remain closed. Other crews will return in the morning to continue the recovery effort.

The area was not under a flood warning from recent rains, said Storm Center 7 Meteorologist Brett Collar. 

UPDATE @ 7:55 p.m.

A 6-year-old boy fell into the Great Miami River this evening while he was playing with a friend along the riverbank, Shelby County Sheriff’s Sgt. Aaron Steinke said.

Crews were called around 5:45 p.m. to the river behind the Pasco trailer park in the 5000 block of state Route 29. Rescuers have boats in the water, and have every bridge covered south from Sidney to the Miami County line, the sergeant said.

>> Man freed from Greenville creek with garden hose

Joining search efforts will be a helicopter from the Ohio State Highway Patrol, which has night-vision equipment to help search from above.

The recent rains and swollen river poses a challenge to rescue personnel, Steinke said.

UPDATE @ 6:35 p.m.

Additional rescue crews from area departments have been called to join the search along the banks for a young boy who may have been swept up in the swollen Great Miami River.

According to scanner traffic, the 6-year-old boy was last seen wearing a red shirt and dark pants.

FIRST REPORT

Rescuers were called this evening to a mobile home park for a possible water rescue in the Great Miami River involving a child in the village of Pasco east of Sidney.

According to initial reports, a 6-year-old boy was wading but had not been seen in awhile. It is not confirmed that the boy has come to any harm.

The trailer park was in the 5800 block of Ohio 29, according to the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

British police: 6 injured after reported explosion in Leicester

Published: Sunday, February 25, 2018 @ 8:57 PM
Updated: Sunday, February 25, 2018 @ 8:57 PM

In this image taken from video made available by Gem News, police attend the scene of an incident in Leicester, central England, Sunday Feb. 25, 2018. Police for the English city of Leicester say they are responding to a
In this image taken from video made available by Gem News, police attend the scene of an incident in Leicester, central England, Sunday Feb. 25, 2018. Police for the English city of Leicester say they are responding to a "major incident" after receiving reports of an explosion and that emergency services were dealing with the incident on Hinckley Road and asked the public to stay away from the area. (Gem News via AP)(AP)

At least six people were injured Sunday following reports of an explosion and fire in Leicester, police said.

>> Read more trending news

Authorities declined to speculate on the cause of the explosion, although police said Sunday that it did not appear to be related to terrorism.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Shooting on train leaves 1 injured in Atlanta

Published: Sunday, February 25, 2018 @ 8:55 PM



WSBTV.com
(WSBTV.com)

Officials with the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority shut down several rail stations Sunday after someone was shot on a train.

>> Read more trending news

Officials with the transit agency confirmed to WSBTV.com that someone was shot in the leg on an eastbound MARTA train, headed toward the Kensington station, around 6:30 p.m.

Officials with MARTA said the shooter ran off the train once it stopped at the station. The shooter was not immediately apprehended.

>> See the latest on WSBTV.com

The victim was taken to a hospital for treatment.

Rail service started running again shortly before 7:30 p.m.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Naked man on ATV leads police on hour-long chase

Published: Sunday, February 25, 2018 @ 8:41 PM



Joe Raedle/Getty Images
(Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

A naked man riding an ATV refused to stop for authorities in Missouri on Sunday, prompting an hour-long chase in Kansas City, according to multiple reports.

>> Read more trending news

Police initiated a chase at 2:20 p.m. after getting a report of a suspicious, naked man riding an ATV near 8400 Northeast Sam Ray Road in Kansas City, North, according to the Kansas City Star. Police said the man was suspected of being under the influence of drugs, the newspaper reported.

The man evaded authorities in a field in Kansas City, North, before he found a break in a fence and drove onto Northeast Shoal Creek, according to the Star. He got onto Interstate 435, where he drove south, sometimes into oncoming traffic, the Star reported.

A police helicopter joined the chase, which also took authorities along Missouri Highway 152 and Missouri Highway 210, according to KSHB and the Clay County Sheriff’s Office.

The man, who was not identified, was arrested around 3:45 p.m. after getting off the interstate at Northeast Birmingham Road, according to the Star.

No injuries were reported, KSHB reported.

Police continued to investigate the case Sunday.

Trending - Most Read Stories