South Africa painting has Mandela, Zuma in apparent sex act

Published: Friday, April 21, 2017 @ 6:34 AM
Updated: Friday, April 21, 2017 @ 6:33 AM

A South African painting showing the president in what appears to be a sexual act with Nelson Mandela is stirring outrage as well as calls to respect freedom of expression.

Artist Ayanda Mabulu said his painting is meant to show how scandal-plagued President Jacob Zuma has violated the hopeful legacy of Mandela, the anti-apartheid leader who became South Africa's first black president after the end of white minority rule in 1994. Thousands of South Africans have protested against Zuma in recent weeks after his dismissal of a widely respected finance minister increased concerns about government corruption. Zuma has denied any wrongdoing.

The Nelson Mandela Foundation said Thursday that it respects Mabulu's freedom of expression but finds the painting "distasteful."

The ruling African National Congress party made a similar statement while calling the work "grotesque." It urged South Africans to ignore the painting, which has been posted on some news websites.

Earlier this month, cartoonist Jonathan Shapiro, who signs "Zapiro" on his work, penned an image that showed Zuma zipping up his trousers and walking away from a distraught woman wearing a dress with the colors of the South African flag and being held down by Zuma supporters. Some people criticized Zapiro for alleged insensitivity to rape victims. The cartoonist said he wanted to send a strong message about the impact of Zuma's conduct on South Africa.

The president's tenure has been overshadowed by scandals, including the spending of millions of dollars in state funds on his private home. He paid back some money after the Constitutional Court ruled against him last year. Zuma also continues to face occasional protests over his acquittal for rape 10 years ago.

Heist in South America is ‘robbery of the century’

Published: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 @ 5:19 AM

Guns.
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

Authorities are calling a heist in South America the “robbery of the century” after dozens of gunmen stormed a private security firm in Paraguay, CNN reported.

>> Read more trending news

More than 50 people carrying large caliber weapons detonated explosives and set vehicles on fire as they stole millions of dollars and sparked a violent police chase into Brazil, CNN reported. One police officer was killed and another was injured, along with three bystanders.

The group escaped with money from several vaults inside Prosegur, a private security firm in Ciudad del Este, police said.

Police initially said the vaults could store up to $40 million, but neither authorities nor the firm confirmed the amount of money that was stolen.

Ciudad del Este is Paraguay's second-largest city, located along the border with Brazil and Argentina.

Authorities believe the robbers were members of Primer Comando de la Capital, one of the largest criminal organizations in Brazil.

The robbers were able to cross the border into Brazil, CNN reported. A small group was intercepted by Brazilian police about 50 miles from Ciudad del Este, officials said.

Three suspects were killed and four were arrested during the confrontation, a spokesman with Paraguay's Interior Ministry said in a news release.

North Korea test launch fails just after regime shows off new missiles

Published: Sunday, April 16, 2017 @ 5:34 AM

News outlets showed images Saturday of North Korea’s annual celebration of its founder, Kim Il Sung, and the exhibition of a long line of missiles through the streets of Pyongyang.

These, when placed alongside comments made by top official Choe Ryong Hae about the United States asking for “nuclear justice,” were a clear attempt by North Korea to display its military might.

>> Read more trending news

Hours later, this appears to have blown up in North Korea’s face.

According to ABC News, a Defense Department official said a ballistic missile launch “blew up almost immediately.”

“U.S. Pacific Command detected and tracked what we assess was a North Korean missile launch at 11:21 a.m. Hawaii time April 15. The launch of the ballistic missile occurred near Sinpo,” U.S. Pacific Command spokesman Cmdr. David Benham said.

>> Some fast facts about North Korea

Secretary of Defense James Mattis said that President Donald Trump has been briefed on the failed launch and has no comment at this time.

“The president and his military team are aware of North Korea’s most recent unsuccessful missile launch. The president has no further comment,” he said.

The kind of missile that was launched is still being determined, though earlier in the day it was speculated that North Korea had developed and was showing off its version of an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).

Hospital grants dying man’s last wish for glass of wine, cigarette

Published: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 @ 10:41 AM

A Danish hospital temporarily suspended its rules last week to allow a dying man his final wish: a glass of white wine and a cigarette.

>> Read more trending stories

Carsten Flemming Hansen, 75, was admitted April 3 to Aarhus University Hospital, suffering from an aortic aneurysm and internal bleeding, Danish newspaper BT reported. He was too ill to undergo surgery, and doctors predicted he had only days left to live.

Hansen told hospital officials that he had one final wish: to have one last Green LA cigarette and a glass of wine.

“It was the best thing for him. It meant a lot to him throughout life,” Hansen’s daughter, Mette Gold Bech Demuth, told BT. “He was annoyed that he wasn’t allowed to smoke inside. He really wanted to have his very last cigarette.”

Despite hospital rules that forbid smoking, nurses in the vascular surgery ward and Hansen’s family “agreed that, in this situation, Carsten Hansen’s wants were more important than treatment, prevention and smoking rules,” the hospital said in a Facebook post. They took Hansen up to a balcony, where he and his family had a view of the sunset while Hansen smoked and drank his wine.

EN VÆRDIG DØD PÅ HOSPITALET I dag sov Carsten Flemming Hansen stille ind på Aarhus Universitetshospital. Få dage...

Posted by Aarhus Universitetshospital on Friday, April 7, 2017

“It was a very cozy and relaxed atmosphere,” nurse Rikke Kvist said, according to The Guardian. “Of course there were relatives also affected by the fact he was going to die, and they were sad.”

Hansen died Friday, officials from the Aarhus University Hospital said.

Demuth said family members were grateful that the hospital was willing to be flexible for her father.

“I can’t thank them enough,” she told BT. “They have really been a great support to my father and the family throughout the process. I am just so grateful.”

Drone falls out of sky, nearly crushes world champion skier

Published: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 @ 6:15 AM
Updated: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 @ 6:15 AM


            
            Kuff1/YouTube

Trending on Facebook

More popular and trending stories

Talk about a close call.

Downhill skiing champion Marcel Hirscher was nearly clobbered during a race in Italy after a drone carrying a TV camera fell out of the sky and onto the slopes. 

>> Read more trending stories  

The Austrian was on his second run in a race in Madonna di Campiglio when the drone crashed into the snow just inches behind him. Hirscher didn't seem to notice and continued on but later learned that he was almost taken out.


(tweet)

“This is horrible," Hirscher said after the race. "This can never happen again. This can be a serious injury.”

According to The Guardian, the 26-year-old, who finished second,  has won the overall World Cup title for the past four seasons and was an Olympic silver medallist in 2014. 

Hirscher later tweeted about the close call with the hashtag #luckyme. 

The International Ski Federation is now banning camera drones.

Watch the video HERE.