log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Friday, October 06, 2017 @ 3:36 AM
Updated: Friday, October 06, 2017 @ 3:35 AM
PARIS — French carmaker Renault said Friday that half of its models will be electric or hybrid by 2022 and it's investing heavily in "robo-vehicles" with increasing degrees of autonomy.
A strategic plan released Friday aims to boost Renault annual revenues to 70 billion euros ($82.2 billion) by 2022 from 51 billion euros last year, in part through an effort to double sales outside its traditional markets in Europe — especially Russia and China.
The plans reflect the vision laid out last month by the Renault Nissan Mitsubishi alliance, the world's No. 1 carmaker by sales. Many of Renault's new aims depend on saving money through sharing platforms and development with Nissan and Mitsubishi.
CEO Carlos Ghosn said Renault is aiming to sell more than 5 million vehicles annually by 2022 from 3.2 million last year. The plan relies in part on boosting low-cost car production in emerging markets, notably with the Dacia Logan and Kwid mini-SUV.
As regulators crack down on emissions from combustion engines and as drivers seek cars that can do more by themselves, Ghosn wants to position Renault as a major player in mass-market electric and driverless cars.
"We are confident we can turn upcoming ... challenges into significant business opportunities for Renault," he said.
The company pledged to offer eight purely electric vehicle models and 12 hybrid models by 2022, compared with its 19 diesel or gasoline models sold worldwide, Ghosn said.
The world's major carmakers are rethinking their strategies to profit from pivotal changes in the industry: autonomous cars, connected cars that share data, car-sharing where you don't own a vehicle but order one by app, and low-emissions vehicles demanded by the European Union to fight climate change and by China, where many cities are fighting rampant pollution.
Investing in electric vehicles has hurt profitability in the past, but Ghosn says that should change as they grow in scale. He said electric cars "are turning into a significant contributor to our performance while other automakers are just starting the journey."
Ghosn said Renault would retrain 13,000 people over the next five years to adapt to changing markets.
Renault is aiming to produce 2 million cars per year outside Europe compared with 750,000 cars in 2016, with a heavy push in Russia as its economy picks up.
Asked about challenges to Renault's activity in Iran amid the possibility that the U.S. could reintroduce sanctions, Ghosn said: "Obviously if it becomes impossible to deal with Iran we will put a plan together for the suspension of our business there, but that's not at all to say that we will leave Iran."
Renault was active in Iran before the West imposed sanctions over its nuclear program and was among the first major companies to relaunch its Iranian business when the sanctions were lifted after the 2015 accord to curb Iran's nuclear activities.
Published: Monday, February 19, 2018 @ 11:44 AM
CARTEGENA, Colombia — A Capuchin monkey and a dog have made an unlikely pair in Colombia.
Now the two are the best of unusual friends, Sky News reported.
But their friendship may soon be forced to come to an end.
The monkey becomes upset when anyone gets near them, so the Environmental and Ecological Protection Police took the dog and monkey and could separate them, returning the monkey to the wild, the Independent reported. But there could be a hiccup to their plan. The Independent reported that the Capuchins in the wild may not welcome the monkey into their group.
Published: Thursday, February 15, 2018 @ 11:30 AM
ALBERTA, Canada — A couple in Canada can now start rebuilding their lives after they were big winners in the Atlantic Lottery.
Bill Pendergast and his wife accepted a $1 million check this month, nearly two years after their home and all their belongings were destroyed in a wildfire.
The May 2016 Fort McMurray wildfire destroyed their home, along with about 10 percent of the Alberta, Canada, town, the BBC reported.
Pendergast was recently visiting his sick father in Newfoundland, who ask him to get a soda at a store, the BBC reported. He bought a ticket at the local gas station on a whim. The next morning, he found out he was a new millionaire, CNN reported. He then called his wife, who hopped on a plane to Newfoundland to help her husband cash in on his newfound money, CNN reported.
The money, the couple said, will be used mostly to help put the pieces back together, including finishing construction on their new home, CBC reported.
“Our rebuild should be finished in the next two to four months, so this is going to go a long way towards that,” Pendergast told CBC.
The family, including the couple’s five sons, is also going to take a family vacation, CBC reported.
But there is one thing the lucky winner always wanted that will now become a reality.
“I have always wanted a Mustang, and I will finally have one, I’m 100% sure of that,” Pendergast told CNN.
Published: Monday, February 12, 2018 @ 1:59 PM
Updated: Monday, February 12, 2018 @ 1:59 PM
LONDON — All flights in and out of London City Airport were canceled Monday after a 500-kilogram (1,100-pound) unexploded World War II-era bomb was found nearby in the River Thames.
The Metropolitan Police service cleared an area within 214 meters (700 feet) of the bomb, including several residential streets, as officers worked with specialists from the Royal Navy to remove the device.
Police said the bomb was discovered Sunday at the George V Dock during pre-planned work at City Airport. They described it as a 1.5-meter (5-foot) shell that was lying in a bed of dense silt.
"The first stage of the removal operation is to free the shell from the silt so that it can be floated for removal," police said in a statement.
Local officials offered emergency accommodations to residents and said work to remove the bomb would continue into Tuesday.
Airport CEO Robert Sinclair said he recognizes that passengers will be inconvenienced but said the airport is cooperating fully with authorities "to resolve the situation as quickly as possible."
Published: Monday, February 12, 2018 @ 10:21 AM
— More details about this year’s royal wedding are being released from Kensington Palace.
We already know that Prince Harry and his fiancée, Meghan Markle will get married on May 19.
They are looking forward to the day and to being able to share their celebrations with the public and wanted to share the following details about their wedding on May 19th with you: pic.twitter.com/hZbn7reYCc— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) February 12, 2018
Now we know what will follow once they have exchanged vows.
They will be married by the Archbishop of Canterbury The Most Reverend and Right Honorable Justin Welby, at St. George’s Chapel at exactly noon on May 19. That’s 7 a.m. Eastern Standard Time. The rest of the service will be led by the Right Reverend David Conner, the dean of Windsor, CNN reported.
The wedding service will begin at 12noon at St George's Chapel. The Dean of Windsor will conduct the service and The Archbishop of Canterbury will officiate as the couple make their vows. pic.twitter.com/dTS56fy22c— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) February 12, 2018
One hour later, at 1 p.m. local time, or 8 a.m. EST, they will depart the church via horse-drawn carriage through the streets of London, similar to what Prince Harry’s older brother Prince William and Duchess Catherine did on their wedding day in 2011, People magazine reported.
At 1pm the couple, now married, will undertake a Carriage Procession from St George's Chapel through Windsor Town returning to Windsor Castle along the Long Walk. pic.twitter.com/Lw6RaqY0p5— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) February 12, 2018
They hope this short journey will provide an opportunity for more people to come together around Windsor and to enjoy the atmosphere of this special day. pic.twitter.com/z8fukP2nea— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) February 12, 2018
A reception will be held after the wedding at St. George’s Hall, a stateroom inside Windsor Castle. They will arrive at the event after the carriage ride.
Following the service, there will be a reception at St George's Hall for the couple and the guests from the congregation. pic.twitter.com/t6P95lJyZC— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) February 12, 2018
There will be a break in the afternoon before the newlyweds are honored in a private evening reception that will be given by Prince Charles. Details on the location of the private reception have not been released, CNN reported.
Later that evening, The Prince of Wales will give a private evening reception for the couple and their close friends and family. pic.twitter.com/zT1EXdacnC— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) February 12, 2018