Nurse convicted of killing two patients may have killed more

Published: Monday, August 28, 2017 @ 2:47 PM

Nurse Convicted Of Killing Two Patients May Have Killed More

A nurse who was convicted of killing two patients and trying to kill two more, may have had many more victims.

Niels Hoegel was convicted two years ago of killing two people, and attempting to kill two others, by giving them overdoses of heart medication, The Associated Press reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Last year, prosecutors thought the number of victims could have been as high as 43. But now they said that number may be short; that he had at least 86 victims.

Authorities have been exhuming bodies of former patients’ of Hoegel. So far they have found evidence of 84 killings, in addition to Hoegel’s convictions. Officials believe there are more, since some potential victims were cremated, the AP reported.

The victims’ names have not been released.

Hoegel’s former employers may be held accountable at least in part for the deaths.

“If the people responsible at the time, particularly at the Oldenburg clinic but also later in Delmenhorst, hadn’t hesitated to alert authorities - for example police, prosecutors,” he could have been stopped earlier, Johann Kuehme, Oldenburg’s police chief, told the AP.

Officials are pursuing criminal charges against former staff members of both clinics.

Hoegel admitted during his trial that he caused cardiac crises in approximately 90 patients so could resuscitate them. He said he liked the feeling of bringing them back. 

If Hoegel is tried and convicted on any additional charges, it won’t affect his life sentences since the German court system doesn’t allow for consecutive sentence, the AP reported.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Monkey, dog live inseparable lives

Published: Monday, February 19, 2018 @ 11:44 AM

WATCH: Dog and Monkey Have Inseparable Bond

A Capuchin monkey and a dog have made an unlikely pair in Colombia.

The dog, according Reuters, recently lost her litter of pups. She then became a surrogate mother of sorts to the monkey, Reuters reported.

Now the two are the best of unusual friends, Sky News reported.

>> Read more trending news 

But their friendship may soon be forced to come to an end. 

The monkey becomes upset when anyone gets near them, so the Environmental and Ecological Protection Police took the dog and monkey and could separate them, returning the monkey to the wild, the Independent reported. But there could be a hiccup to their plan. The Independent reported that the Capuchins in the wild may not welcome the monkey into their group.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Couple who lost everything in fire wins $1 million lottery

Published: Thursday, February 15, 2018 @ 11:30 AM

Tips for When You Win the Lottery

A couple in Canada can now start rebuilding their lives after they were big winners in the Atlantic Lottery.

Bill Pendergast and his wife accepted a $1 million check this month, nearly two years after their home and all their belongings were destroyed in a wildfire.

The May 2016 Fort McMurray wildfire destroyed their home, along with about 10 percent of the Alberta, Canada, town, the BBC reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Pendergast was recently visiting his sick father in Newfoundland, who ask him to get a soda at a store, the BBC reported. He bought a ticket at the local gas station on a whim. The next morning, he found out he was a new millionaire, CNN reported. He then called his wife, who hopped on a plane to Newfoundland to help her husband cash in on his newfound money, CNN reported.

The money, the couple said, will be used mostly to help put the pieces back together, including finishing construction on their new home, CBC reported.

>> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news 

“Our rebuild should be finished in the next two to four months, so this is going to go a long way towards that,” Pendergast told CBC.

The family, including the couple’s five sons, is also going to take a family vacation, CBC reported.

But there is one thing the lucky winner always wanted that will now become a reality.

“I have always wanted a Mustang, and I will finally have one, I’m 100% sure of that,” Pendergast told CNN.

FILE PHOTO(Andy Marlin/Getty Images)

Trending - Most Read Stories

Prince Harry, Meghan Markle release more wedding details

Published: Monday, February 12, 2018 @ 10:21 AM

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Engaged

More details about this year’s royal wedding are being released from Kensington Palace.

>> Read more trending news 

We already know that Prince Harry and his fiancée, Meghan Markle will get married on May 19. 

Now we know what will follow once they have exchanged vows.

They will be married by the Archbishop of Canterbury The Most Reverend and Right Honorable Justin Welby, at St. George’s Chapel at exactly noon on May 19. That’s 7 a.m. Eastern Standard Time. The rest of the service will be led by the Right Reverend David Conner, the dean of Windsor, CNN reported.


One hour later, at 1 p.m. local time, or 8 a.m. EST, they will depart the church via horse-drawn carriage through the streets of London, similar to what Prince Harry’s older brother Prince William and Duchess Catherine did on their wedding day in 2011, People magazine reported.


A reception will be held after the wedding at St. George’s Hall, a stateroom inside Windsor Castle. They will arrive at the event after the carriage ride.


There will be a break in the afternoon before the newlyweds are honored in a private evening reception that will be given by Prince Charles. Details on the location of the private reception have not been released, CNN reported.

LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM - FEBRUARY 01: Prince Harry and fiance Meghan Markle leave the 'Endeavour Fund Awards' Ceremony at Goldsmiths Hall on February 1, 2018 in London, England. The awards celebrate the achievements of wounded, injured and sick servicemen and women who have taken part in remarkable sporting and adventure challenges over the last year. (Photo by Ben Stansall - WPA Pool/Getty Images)(WPA Pool/Getty Images)

Trending - Most Read Stories

71 dead after passenger plane crashes near Moscow, Russia's transport minister says

Published: Monday, February 12, 2018 @ 5:10 AM
Updated: Monday, February 12, 2018 @ 5:10 AM

Russian Passenger Plane Crashes Near Moscow, Killing 71

A Russian passenger plane with 71 people on board has crashed near Moscow, multiple news outlets reported Sunday. Russia’s transport minister said there are no survivors from the crash.

Trending - Most Read Stories