breaking news


Local Islamic center’s board president denounces Egypt terrorist attack

Published: Friday, November 24, 2017 @ 12:55 PM


            Muslim worshipers stand outside the al-Rawdah mosque after it came under attack by militants in Bir al-Abd, 40 km from the North Sinai provincial capital of el-Arish, Egypt, on Nov. 24, 2017. At least 235 people died in a bombing and subsequent shooting at the mosque. (DPA via Zuma Press/TNS)
Muslim worshipers stand outside the al-Rawdah mosque after it came under attack by militants in Bir al-Abd, 40 km from the North Sinai provincial capital of el-Arish, Egypt, on Nov. 24, 2017. At least 235 people died in a bombing and subsequent shooting at the mosque. (DPA via Zuma Press/TNS)

At least 235 people were killed when gunmen opened fire and bombed a mosque in Egypt’s volatile Sinai Peninsula on Friday. Government officials said 109 more had been injured in the attack — among the deadliest in Egypt’s history.

Images from inside the building showed dozens of bodies wrapped in blood-soaked cloth lined up on the carpeted floor.

Police sources told the Associated Press that men in four off-road vehicles opened fire on worshippers in the al-Rawdah mosque in the town of Al Rawdah.

SPECIAL PROJECT: Bridging the Divide: Islamic Center continues community outreach efforts

Shakila Ahmad, president of the board of the Islamic Center of Greater Cincinnati in West Chester Twp., condemned those who carried it out the attack when she was reached for comment this morning by this media outlet.

“… it’s important for people to know that these heinous individuals who commit these atrocities are proving themselves to be …. not Muslim, not adhering to Islamic principles, and not adhering to any sense of humanity,” she said. “Whoever is any part of such … is an evil plague upon all of us and should never ever be associated with Islam or Muslims.”

Ahmad said she was not immediately aware of anyone directly affected by the tragedy.

MORE: Protesters square off at Islamic center in Butler County

Two eyewitnesses and a security source told Reuters that the suspected militants targeted supporters of the security forces attending prayers. Citing official sources, the state-run MENA news agency reported that the mosque is largely attended by Sufi Muslims — a form of Islam considered heretical by some conservatives and extremists like the Islamic State group.

Around 50 ambulances were transferring victims to hospitals, according to the Ministry of Health. A statement issued by Egypt’s General Prosecutor Nabil Sadiq put the death toll at 235, with at least 109 others wounded.

A Health Ministry official told Al Jazeera TV that “there were many people inside the mosque — it’s only a small mosque.”

MORE: Hazmat crews investigate white powder mailed to Islamic Center in West Chester

Gunmen shot worshippers fleeing the initial attack, he added.

There has been a wave of attacks on the country’s Coptic Christian minority, but strikes on mosques are rare and Friday’s onslaught shocked many throughout Egypt.

While Egypt’s security forces have been battling Islamist militants in northern Sinai for years, violence picked up after the 2013 ouster of President Mohammed Morsi. A new group called Ansar al-Islam claimed responsibility for a bloody October attack on Egyptian police.

MORE: Five things to know about the Islamic Center of Greater Cincinnati

The conflict has killed hundreds of soldiers and militants over the years, although journalists are banned from the area and exact numbers are unclear.

President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi declared three days of mourning and called a meeting of security officials after the attack.

U.S. President Donald Trump tweeted, “Horrible and cowardly terrorist attack on innocent and defenseless worshipers in Egypt. The world cannot tolerate terrorism, we must defeat them militarily and discredit the extremist ideology that forms the basis of their existence!”

The Associated Press contributed to this report with Charlene Gubash reporting from Cairo and F. Brinley Bruton reporting from London.

Prince William shared what he is looking forward to when little brother gets married

Published: Thursday, November 30, 2017 @ 7:48 AM

What Prince William Said He's Most Looking Forward To After Prince Harry Marries

Prince William is so, so happy Prince Harry will be staying out of his fridge once he marries Meghan Markle.

On Wednesday, William joked with reporters in Helsinki, Finland about his little brother’s upcoming spring wedding and the one hope he has for Harry after the “I do’s.”

“We are very excited and delighted for them both. And, we are wishing them all of the happiness at this exciting time,” William said. “And, for me, personally, I hope this means he stays out of my fridge. He’s often been found scrounging off of my food over the last few years.”

TRENDING: One person from Meghan Markle’s life doesn’t seem very excited about the royal engagement

TRENDING: Director and “Andy Griffith” star Ron Howard has suffered a heartbreaking personal loss

William took a more serious tone when it came to his actual feelings about the upcoming royal wedding, “it’s a fantastic process to go through. The engagement and the build up to the wedding. They have a lot of happy times ahead of them. They are very caught up in the moment and I wish them all of the happiness and success in planning the wedding. I hope it goes very well.”

On Tuesday, Duchess Catherine shared her excitement during an event in London.

“William and I are absolutely thrilled,” the duchess said. “It’s such exciting news. It’s a really happy time for any couple, and we wish them all the best and hope they enjoy this happy moment.”

On Nov. 27, the couple announced they were engaged in a statement shared on Kensington Palace’s official social media pages.

His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales is delighted to announce the engagement of Prince Harry to Ms. Meghan Markle. The wedding will take place in Spring 2018. Further details about the wedding day will be announced in due course. His Royal Highness and Ms. Markle became engaged in London earlier this month. Prince Harry has informed Her Majesty, The Queen and other close members of his family. Prince Harry has also sought and received the blessing of Ms. Markle’s parents. The couple will live in Nottingham Cottage at Kensington Palace.

The couple are planning for a May 2018 wedding.

Must see: Dog interrupts tied soccer match

Published: Friday, December 08, 2017 @ 7:06 AM

A dog runs onto the pitch during the Europa League group L soccer match between Vardar and Rosenborg, at Philip II Arena in Skopje, Macedonia, Thursday Dec. 7, 2017. (AP Photo/Boris Grdanoski)
Boris Grdanoski/AP
A dog runs onto the pitch during the Europa League group L soccer match between Vardar and Rosenborg, at Philip II Arena in Skopje, Macedonia, Thursday Dec. 7, 2017. (AP Photo/Boris Grdanoski)(Boris Grdanoski/AP)

It’s not every day that a tied soccer game gets interrupted by a fan running on the pitch, especially when that fan is a four-footed furry one.

A husky appeared on the field during a match between teams from Macedonia and Norway, Business Insider reported.

>> Read more trending news

The game was tied 1-1 at the 73rd minute mark when the dog dropped in front of the Macedonian team’s goalkeeper to have its belly rubbed.

Vardar's goalkeeper Filip Gacevski, left, tries to catch a dog that entered the pitch during the Europa League group L soccer match between Vardar and Rosenborg, at Philip II Arena in Skopje, Macedonia, Thursday Dec. 7, 2017. (AP Photo/Boris Grdanoski)(Boris Grdanoski/AP)

The entire event was caught on video.

Eventually, security was able to herd the dog to the tunnel so the game could continue and the match ended in a 1-1 tie.

Vardar's goalkeeper Filip Gacevski, left, tries to catch a dog that entered the pitch during the Europa League group L soccer match between Vardar and Rosenborg, at Philip II Arena in Skopje, Macedonia, Thursday Dec. 7, 2017. (AP Photo/Boris Grdanoski)(Boris Grdanoski/AP)

Check this list of the 10 worst toys of 2017 before you finish holiday shopping

Published: Thursday, November 30, 2017 @ 5:23 PM

Consumer Group Releases List of Most Dangerous Toys

Christmas morning can be an exciting time for families. While parents want to see their children happy as they open presents, they also want to make sure they’re safe. 

»RELATED: Christmas 2017: Best Christmas gifts for kids in 2017

That’s easier to do thanks to the World Against Toys Causing Harm, an organization that monitors toy safety, because it has just released its annual “10 Worst Toys” list. 

To determine the results, researchers examined products with “poor design, manufacturing and marketing practices” that have the “potential to lead to serious injury and even death,” the site read. 

They also scouted “toys with inconsistent and inadequate warnings, cautions and age recommendations as well as other classic safety hazards that continue to re-appear year after year,” they said. 

The Hallmark “Itty Bittys” stacking toy was a part of the round-up. While it was recalled over the summer due to fabric pieces to could pose a choking hazard, it is still available online. 

The group also also highlighted Tolo Toys’ Pull Along Pony. It’s marketed for kids over age 1, but the chord is 19-inches-long. 

Nerf’s Zombie Strike Zone was the list, too. It’s pull back lever is dangerous, because it could cause injuries to the face and eyes. 

»RELATED: VIDEO: 11 gifts your kids will ask Santa for this season

Want to know what other toys were on the list? Take a look at the top 10 below.

1. Hallmark “Itty Bittys” Baby Stacking Toy

2. Tolo Toys Pull-Along Pony

3. Mattel Wonder Woman Battle Action Sword

4. Hand Fidgetz Spinners

5. Marvel Spider-Man Homecoming

6. Hasbro Nerf Zombie Strike Drone, Official Movie Edition

7. Slackers Slackline Classic Series Kit

8. Oval XYLOPHONE

9. Razor Jetts Heel Wheels

10. Melissa & Doug Mine to Love Brianna Babydoll

Related

WATCH: New Zealand police ask, 'Do you care enough to be a cop?' in hilarious viral video

Published: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 @ 2:04 AM

WATCH: Police Search For Recruits In Hilarious Video

Looking for a job? New Zealand police are hiring – and they're pulling out all the stops to attract new recruits in a hilarious viral video.

>> Watch the video here

"Freeze! NZ Police's most entertaining recruitment video, yet!" the police department's recruiting website says of the action movie-style video. "With over 70 real cops, the police band, police cats, helicopters and stunts, we're here to encourage a range of New Zealanders to join our team."

(And yes, you read that right: police cats.)

>> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news 

The video, which has been viewed more than 300,000 times on YouTube since it was posted Saturday, touts the department's starting salary – $55,000 NZ, or about $38,000 US – and variety of jobs.

"You can choose from over 30 different careers, like underwater business or youth work or police commissioner stuff," officers say while diving, swimming, dancing and sitting behind a cluster of microphones.

>> Read more trending news 

Another officer running at full speed stops abruptly to help an elderly man slowly cross the street as a local internet celebrity, William "Waiirua" Cribb, entertains a stopped driver with some interesting dance moves.

"Do you care enough to be a cop?" one officer shouts through a bullhorn after coaxing a furry, four-legged thief into dropping a woman's purse. "Take the first step and visit newcops.co.nz."