ALERT:

live video


800-year-old coffin survives centuries, but doesn’t survive photo op

Published: Thursday, August 24, 2017 @ 12:11 PM

800-Year-Old Coffin Survives Centuries, But Doesn’t Survive Photo Op

A coffin that was described as “historically unique” was damaged when someone apparently thought it was a good idea to put their child inside it to take a photograph, the BBC reported.

The stone sarcophagus fell over at Prittlewell Priory Museum in Essex. It was caught on security camera back on Aug. 4.

>> Read more trending news 

The people ran off before they were able to be questioned and without reporting what happened, the BBC reported.

The 800-year-old relic was found on the grounds of the priory in 1921. At the time remains were found, it held a skeleton which was assumed to be that of a monk.

It was already broken into three pieces when the damage happened nearly a month ago. There was a clear plastic barrier in front of the artifact, but there was no top.

Officials said that visitors lifted a child over that barrier and into the coffin itself to snap a photo. 

“You can put all the risk assessments in place but you really don’t expect people to try to get into the artifacts,” Claire Reed, a conservator at the museum, told the BBC.

Reed is now figuring out how to repair the coffin so it can be put back on display.

Ann Holland, executive councilor for culture at Southend-on-Sea Borough Council said the coffin now needs to be completely enclosed to prevent any more damage, the Telegraph reported

Prince William, Kate Middleton expect 3rd child in spring

Published: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 @ 11:12 AM

Third Child Coming for Prince William, Kate Middleton

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on Tuesday announced that the couple is expecting their third child in April.

>> Read more trending news

Kensington Palace officials shared the announcement in a post on Twitter.

The duke and duchess of Cambridge, Prince William and Kate Middleton, announced last month that they were expecting. The couple has two children, 4-year-old Prince George and 2-year-old Princess Charlotte.

Kensington Palace officials said in a statement that Queen Elizabeth and other family members were "delighted with the news."

Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, Prince George of Cambridge, Princess Charlotte of Cambridge and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge depart from Hamburg airport on the last day of their official visit to Poland and Germany on July 21, 2017 in Hamburg, Germany. (Photo by Julian Simmonds - Pool/Getty Images)(Pool/Getty Images)

The duchess, 35, suffered from hyperemesis gravidarum, or severe morning sickness, during her first two pregnancies, and Kensington Palace officials said last month that she was again dealing with the illness through her third pregnancy.

Hyperemesis gravidarum affects about one in every 200 pregnancies, BBC News reported. Symptoms include severe and constant nausea, dehydration and reduced appetite, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

American hostage Caitlan Coleman, family rescued in Pakistan after years of captivity

Published: Thursday, October 12, 2017 @ 8:35 AM

Caitlan Coleman, Family Rescued After Being Held Prisoner by Terrorists in Afghanistan

An American woman, her Canadian husband and their three children were rescued in Pakistan on Wednesday, five years after the couple was captured by a terrorist group while hiking in Afghanistan.

>> Read more trending news

The rescue, prompted by a tip from U.S. intelligence officers tracking the family, was announced in a statement Thursday from Pakistan’s army.

President Donald Trump identified the rescued captives as 31-year-old American Caitlan Coleman, 34-year-old Canadian Joshua Boyle and their three children.

Coleman and Boyle were abducted in 2012 and held hostage by the Haqqani network, a terrorist organization with ties to the Taliban, the president said.

“Yesterday, the United States government, working in conjunction with the Government of Pakistan, secured the release of the Boyle-Coleman family from captivity in Pakistan,” Trump said. “Today they are free.”

FILE - In this June 4, 2014, file photo, mother's Linda Boyle, left and Lyn Coleman hold photo of their married children, Canadian citizen Joshua Boyle and American citizen Caitlan Coleman, who were kidnapped by the Taliban in late 2012, in Stewartstown, Pa. Pakistan's military says soldiers have recovered five Western hostages held by the Taliban for years. Pakistan's army did not name those held, only saying it worked with U.S. intelligence officials to track down the hostages and free them after discovering they had been brought into Pakistan. (AP Photo/Bill Gorman, File)(Bill Gorman/AP)

Prince Harry, toddler steal show as she steals his popcorn

Published: Thursday, September 28, 2017 @ 9:38 AM

Toddler ‘Steals’ Royal Popcorn

If there’s any wonder as to how good of an uncle Prince Harry could be to Prince George and Princess Charlotte, then this video is the proof you need.

>> Read more trending news 

During an event at the Invictus Games Toronto 2017, a toddler seized her chance as the adults talked, and helped herself to the royal popcorn, Mashable reported.

When he notices Emily Henson’s little hands going from popcorn box to mouth, Harry jokingly removes temptation and then picks out the prime popcorn to give to the 2-year-old, the Telegraph reported

He then chats with her and her mother and other neighboring spectators. He also made silly faces and stuck his tongue out at her as the cameras watched their every move.

At one point, Emily took such a shine to the prince that she leaned on his knee as the volleyball match continued. 

Emily’s father, David Henson, is a paralympian who had both of his legs amputated when an IED exploded in Afghanistan in 2011, The Telegraph reported.

Since first competing in the Invictus Games in 2014, Henson has become a friend to Prince Harry.

Harry is no stranger to children, as he is the godfather to six of his friends’ children and believes he does a good job with them.

“I think the key to that is to be able to grow up, but also be able to stay in touch with your childhood side,” Harry told The Telegraph.

The games run until Saturday. There are 550 competitors from 17 countries taking part in 12 sports during the week-long event.

Prince Harry Fast Facts

Father who hit teacher with car sentenced to jail

Published: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 @ 1:34 PM

WATCH: Angry Father In Jail After Hitting Teacher With Vehicle

Witnesses said he was told he couldn’t drive into the staff parking lot. Moments later, the father of a student at a school in England hit the same teacher who told him no with his car. 

Rainier Schoeman was sentenced to 10 months in jail after the courts said Schoeman intentionally rammed into Gareth McCarthy after McCarthy didn’t permit Schoeman into the restricted lot to pick up a child, The Daily Mail reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Schoeman pleaded guilty to causing bodily harm and dangerous driving among other charges, The Telegraph reported.

McCarthy was stationed at the entrance of the lot to stop parents from picking up children. School officials had informed parents that they were not permitted into the lot because of safety concerns as children left the building, The Daily Mail reported.

Prosecutors said that this case wasn't the first time Schoeman tried to get into the lot and was rebuffed my McCarthy.

Schoeman’s attorney admitted that his client was “immature” and had behaved “outrageously.”

McCarthy was injured in the crash and suffered cuts to his head.