Who are the 2 Thunderbirds in Friday's Dayton Air Show crash?

Published: Friday, June 23, 2017 @ 5:49 PM
Updated: Friday, June 23, 2017 @ 10:50 PM

More on pilot, passenger from Thunderbird crash

A U.S. Air Force pilot and tactical aircraft maintainer sustained injuries in a plane crash Friday at the Dayton Air Show.

The pilot, Capt. Erik Gonsalves, is the advance pilot/narrator for the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron, flying the No. 8 jet, according to an Air Force biography.

Gonsalves entered the Air Force in 2008 as a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colo., and he is in his first season with the Thunderbirds team.

Before joining the Thunderbirds, he served as an A-10C flight evaluator and the chief of standardization and evaluation for the 75th Fighter Squadron, Moody Air Force Base, Ga.

He has logged more than 1,600 flight hours as an Air Force pilot, with more than 500 hours of combat experience in the A-10C. 

Gonsalves hails from Fort Lauderdale, Fla. In high school, he served as the captain of the volleyball team. He also enjoys marathon running and snow and water skiing. 

PHOTOS: Thunderbird flips on its top at Dayton Air Show

Tech Sgt. Kenneth Cordova has been in the Air Force since 2009, and serves as a tactical aircraft maintainer, according to the Air Force. 

Some of Cordova's responsibilities include performing scheduled inspections, functional checks and preventive maintenance on tactical aircraft and aircraft-installed equipment, his biography says.

He also maintains and repairs all parts of the aircraft and ensures that the aircraft are properly serviced with fuel, hydraulic fluid and liquid oxygen. 

Cordova was stationed at Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska prior to joining the team. He is from Littleton, Colo., and his hobbies are hunting, fishing and camping.

Trending - Most Read Stories

New York dad emerges from 61-day coma

Published: Saturday, February 17, 2018 @ 3:23 AM

Man Comes Out Of 61-Day Medically Induced Coma

The last thing Robert Crain remembered was visiting the emergency room to have his nagging cough checked out.

>> Read more trending news

That was on Oct. 3, 2017. Sixty-one days later, the 47-year-old woke from a medically induced coma. And on Feb. 14, 2018, he was discharged from Upstate University Hospital in Syracuse, New York.

"For me, it just seemed like I woke up from a nap,'' Crain told Syracuse.com. "Then I realized I missed Thanksgiving and Christmas and all that time with my family."

Crain’s lungs and kidneys had shut down in October. He lost 50 pounds during his time in the hospital and now must use a cane to walk, Syracuse.com reported.

“It was awful,” said Crain’s wife of 10 years, Marcela Crain. “My brain heard them say he wasn't doing well and wasn't improving, but my heart wouldn't accept it. I went to the chapel every day at the hospital and prayed, and my daughter and I prayed every night.”

Robert Crain was kept alive by a heart/lung bypass machine, spending more time on it than any other patient in the hospital’s history, Syracuse.com reported.

Crain said he remembered nothing from Oct. 3 until Jan. 8. His doctors pulled him out of his coma gradually. When he came to, Crain said he was “stunned” when a nurse told him what day it was, Syracuse.com reported.

Robert Crain’s recovery and discharge from the hospital was a banner day for his wife and their 8-year-old daughter, Isabella. 

"This is the most amazing, special day,'' Marcela Crain said. “Never give up hope. I always believed he would come back to me."

Marcela Crain said the family put Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas on hold, refusing to celebrate it without Robert. She told Syracuse.com the family would celebrate all three holidays into a single day when he is stronger.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Police: Woman said she was frustrated when she tossed dog out of moving car

Published: Saturday, February 17, 2018 @ 2:36 PM

Janet Byas
Parker County Sheriff's Office
Janet Byas(Parker County Sheriff's Office)

A woman in Texas has been arrested after she was caught on camera tossing her small dog named Pumpkin out of a moving vehicle.

The Chihuahua-mixed breed survived the incident and was found Thursday roaming a family's rural property in Weatherford, WFAA reported. Surveillance cameras on the property provided clear identification of the vehicle. The dog's microchip further confirmed the owner's identity. 

>> Read more trending news 

When questioned by Sgt. Ricky Montgomery, Janet Byas, 43, initially denied tossing the dog out of the vehicle. When the evidence of her involvement was presented to her, Montgomery said she admitted that she threw the dog out of the car because she was frustrated with it. She said Pumpkin would not stay on her property and she "couldn't handle it anymore," WFAA reported.

When WFAA asked for Montgomery's reaction to Byas' reasoning for throwing the dog out of the car, Montgomery said, "Grow up."

Byas was arrested and charged with misdemeanor animal cruelty.

Pumpkin is recovering from the ordeal and will eventually be available for adoption, Parker County Animal Control said.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Police: Mother accused of giving child hydrochloric acid, chlorine as autism 'cure'

Published: Saturday, February 17, 2018 @ 1:55 PM

File image of a liquid dispenser bottle.
Pixabay
File image of a liquid dispenser bottle.(Pixabay)

An Indianapolis mother is accused of feeding her child a dangerous homemade concoction in an attempt to "cure" the child's autism, police said.

The woman's husband claims his wife placed drops of hydrochloric acid and a water purifying solution that contained chlorine into their child's beverage, FOX59 reported. The woman reportedly referred to the mixture as the "miracle mineral solution" and said she found the recipe on a Facebook group page. The husband told police that his wife had fed their child the toxic mixture a few weeks ago, but he only found out about it last weekend.

>> Read more trending news 

The “miracle mineral solution” has been reviewed by the FDA, which warned that it is essentially bleach, FOX59 reported. The mixture is often promoted as being a cure-all for everything from cancer to autism.

The Indianapolis Police Department told FOX59 that the Department of Child Services is reviewing the case and has removed the child from the home. Police declined to release the names of the parents or any of the child's identifying information. The investigation remains active.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Study: Common household chore just as damaging as smoking 20 cigarettes a day

Published: Saturday, February 17, 2018 @ 10:05 AM

A new study reveals common cleaning sprays could be harmful to your lungs. Women who cleaned as little as once a week had an accelerated lung decline risk. For women, using cleaning products for 20 years is equivalent to smoking 20 cigarettes a day. Men who cleaned did not see the same decline as women who cleaned. Scientists said cleaning chemicals irritate the mucous membranes that line the airways. Researchers suggests looking for products that are labeled "allergy friendly."

Love to keep a tidy home? The chemicals in common cleaning sprays could be detrimental to your respiratory system, according to a new report. 

>> Read more trending news

Researchers from universities in Norway recently conducted a study, published in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, to determine how cleaners may contribute to lung decline over time. 

"While the short-term effects of cleaning chemicals on asthma are becoming increasingly well-documented, we lack knowledge of the long-term impact," senior author Cecile Svanes said in a statement. "We feared that such chemicals, by steadily causing a little damage to the airways day after day, year after year, might accelerate the rate of lung function decline that occurs with age."

For their assessment, the researchers examined the lungs of more than 6,200 women and men from 22 health institutions, following them over a course of 20 years. During that time span, the participants were asked if they cleaned their homes and if they were professional cleaners. If so, they were also required to record how much they used typical liquid cleaning products. 

After analyzing the results, they found that women who cleaned as little as once a week had an accelerated lung decline risk. In fact, they said using cleaning products for 20 years is equivalent to smoking 20 cigarettes a day for 10 to 20 years for women. Men who cleaned did not see the same decline as women who cleaned.

The scientists said they were initially shocked by the results. "However, when you think of inhaling small particles from cleaning agents that are meant for cleaning the floor and not your lungs, maybe it is not so surprising after all," they wrote.

They believe the cleaning chemicals irritate the mucous membranes that line the airways, which causes damage. To lower the risk, the British Lung Foundation suggests looking for products that are labeled "allergy friendly" as they have fewer chemicals. 

While the researchers acknowledge their study included very few people who did not clean, they said their findings are strong. 

"The take-home message of this study is that in the long run cleaning chemicals very likely cause rather substantial damage to your lungs," they wrote. "These chemicals are usually unnecessary; microfiber cloths and water are more than enough for most purposes.”

Trending - Most Read Stories