Wendy’s at Dayton Mall reopens more than 3 weeks after fire

Published: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 @ 11:45 AM
Updated: Friday, July 07, 2017 @ 9:54 AM

The Wendy’s near the Dayton Mall at Ohio 725 and Ohio 741 has reopened more than three weeks after a fire. JIM NOELKER/STAFF
The Wendy’s near the Dayton Mall at Ohio 725 and Ohio 741 has reopened more than three weeks after a fire. JIM NOELKER/STAFF

The Wendy’s restaurant near the Dayton Mall has reopened more than three weeks after a fire traced to a thermostat damaged a wall and part of the restaurant’s floor.

>> EARLIER THIS WEEK: Big changes coming to Dayton-area Wendy’s restaurants 

>> ALSO TODAY: Brand new Oregon District restaurant now open

The restaurant at 2948 Miamisburg-Centerville Road (Ohio 725) reopened yesterday, Thursday July 6,  Kevin Morris — director of operations for MUY! Hamburger Partners, the franchise group that operates 31 Wendy’s restaurants across the Miami Valley — told this news outlet this morning, July 7.

>> EARLIER: Small fire shuts down Wendy’s near Dayton Mall

Miami Twp. Fire District crews were dispatched to the Wendy’s just after 8 p.m. on June 12. There were no injuries reported, and the employees were able to get out of the building, a fire official said.

Big changes coming to Dayton-area Wendy's restaurants

Damage to the wall and floor were considered minimal, the fire official said. The floor was damaged when the remains of the melted thermostat began to drip.

Slow warming trend to get underway

Published: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 @ 3:21 AM
Updated: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 @ 6:45 PM

Warmer temperatures are expected in the Dayton area over the coming days.

Clear skies and seasonably cool weather is expected as temperatures drop into the 50s after sunset, Storm Center 7 Chief Meteorologist Eric Elwell said.

QUICK-LOOK FORECAST

  • Clear, not quite as chilly tonight
  • Slow warmup over next few days
  • No rain until late Sunday

>>Science world ignores politics, preps for lunar space station

Warmer Mornings(Graphic by Storm Center 7 Chief Meteorologist Eric Elwell)

DETAILED FORECAST

Overnight: Clear skies are expected with temperatures falling into the lower 40s.

>>WHIO Weather App

Wednesday: Expect lots of sunshine. Temperatures will rebound to near 70 degrees by late afternoon.

Long-range Temperature Trend(Graphic by Storm Center 7 Chief Meteorologist Eric Elwell)

>>Why is the sun red, the sky yellow in London?

Thursday: More sunshine is expected through the day. Highs will reach into the lower 70s.

Friday: A few high clouds will arrive, however skies will remain mostly sunny. Highs will reach well above normal, into the lower to middle 70s.

Saturday: Mostly sunny skies and unseasonably warm temperatures will start the weekend with highs in the middle 70s. 

>>Live Doppler 7 HD Radar

Sunday: Clouds will be on the increase, mainly late in the day. It will become breezy and mild with highs in the middle 70s. There is a chance for showers by late evening or at night.

'Nuclear war may break out any moment': North Korea intensifies rhetoric against USA

Published: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 @ 7:15 PM

LEFT Donald Trump (Photo by Zach Gibson - Pool/Getty Images) | RIGHT Kim Jong-Un (Photo credit should read STR/AFP/Getty Images)
LEFT Donald Trump (Photo by Zach Gibson - Pool/Getty Images) | RIGHT Kim Jong-Un (Photo credit should read STR/AFP/Getty Images)

North Korea’s deputy U.N. ambassador warned Monday that the situation on the Korean peninsula “has reached the touch-and-go point and a nuclear war may break out any moment.”

>> Read more trending news

Kim In Ryong told the U.N. General Assembly’s disarmament committee that North Korea is the only country in the world that has been subjected to “such an extreme and direct nuclear threat” from the United States since the 1970s -- and said the country has the right to possess nuclear weapons in self-defense.

He pointed to large-scale military exercises every year using “nuclear assets” and said what is more dangerous is what he called a U.S. plan to stage a “secret operation aimed at the removal of our supreme leadership.”

This year, Kim said, North Korea completed its “state nuclear force and thus became the full-fledged nuclear power which possesses the delivery means of various ranges, including the atomic bomb, H-bomb and intercontinental ballistic rockets.”

“The entire U.S. mainland is within our firing range and if the U.S. dares to invade our sacred territory even an inch it will not escape our severe punishment in any part of the globe,” he warned.

Kim’s speech follows escalating threats between North Korea and the United States, and increasingly tough U.N. sanctions.

Russian President Vladimir Putin said Monday that his country is curtailing economic, scientific and other ties with North Korea in line with U.N. sanctions, and the European Union announced new sanctions on Pyongyang for developing nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles.

U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said Sunday that diplomatic efforts aimed at resolving the North Korean crisis “will continue until the first bomb drops.” His commitment to diplomacy came despite President Donald Trump’s tweets several weeks ago that his chief envoy was “wasting his time” trying to negotiate with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, whom he derisively referred to as “Little Rocket Man.”

North Korea’s deputy U.N. ambassador called his country’s nuclear and missile arsenal “a precious strategic asset that cannot be reversed or bartered for anything.”

“Unless the hostile policy and the nuclear threat of the U.S. is thoroughly eradicated, we will never put our nuclear weapons and ballistic rockets on the negotiating table under any circumstances,” Kim said.

He told the disarmament committee that the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea -- North Korea’s official name -- had hoped for a nuclear-free world.

Instead, Kim said, all nuclear states are accelerating the modernization of their weapons and “reviving a nuclear arms race reminiscent of (the) Cold War era.” He noted that the nuclear weapon states, including the United States, boycotted negotiations for the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons that was approved in July by 122 countries at the United Nations.

“The DPRK consistently supports the total elimination of nuclear weapons and the efforts for denuclearization of the entire world,” he said. But as long as the United States rejects the treaty and “constantly threatens and blackmails the DPRK with nuclear weapons … the DPRK is not in position to accede to the treaty.”

Ex-deputy settles federal lawsuit against Miami County Sheriff’s Department

Published: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 @ 7:00 PM

Tina Waymire in 2015 (Cox Media Group/File)
Tina Waymire in 2015 (Cox Media Group/File)

A federal lawsuit former Miami County sheriff’s Deputy Tina Waymire filed against the sheriff’s department has been settled.

The settlement was announced just before a jury trial began this week in U.S. District Court in Dayton.

RELATED: Compensation case involving Tina Waymire settled

Waymire filed suit in May 2015, claiming that the way she was paid for her work as the department’s K-9 officer was in violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act.

She claimed the county failed to keep records of the hours she worked and knowingly failed to pay overtime. 

According to a notice filed in court records, the settlement was disclosed to the court Monday and a jury impaneled to hear the case was dismissed. 

RELATED: Deputy Tina Waymire, on leave, has been fired 

Details of the settlement were not available Tuesday. According to the court, the settlement would be formalized within 30 days. 

The lawsuit was filed against the sheriff’s office, in care of the county commissioners. 

Waymire, who was with the department nearly 30 years, was fired in June 2015 by then-Sheriff Charles Cox. 

Tuesday morning, the commissioners met in closed executive session with current Sheriff Dave Duchak and lawyers to discuss litigation.

No action was taken as a result of the session, which was added to the commission agenda Tuesday morning.

2 creating YouTube video survive close call with train, Fairborn fire official says

Published: Monday, October 16, 2017 @ 7:36 PM
Updated: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 @ 2:43 AM

One Fairborn teen had book bag torn from him along Kauffman road near Central Avenue

Two people videotaping for the purpose of posting their exploits to YouTube escaped injury Monday night when one of them rolled off the tracks as a train approached, officials said.

The second person apparently standing too close to the tracks was thrown to the ground when the train hit the backpack the first person was holding, according to the early assessment from witnesses, Fairborn fire Battalion Chief Laura Kerr said.

"We highly recommend that you not do that," she said. 

RELATED: Young person doing YouTube stunt hit, killed by train

Police and medic units were originally dispatched on a report of a pedestrian hit by a train in the area of Kauffman Avenue and South Central Avenue in Fairborn around 7:15 p.m.

The train conductors are extremely upset because of what happened, Kerr said, noting that such incidents can trigger post traumatic stress for train engineers and conductors. 

"Do not play on the tracks. It's not a play area. Its not an adventure. Its not a story. It's not a good video," she said.

The investigation is continuing, but Kerr said witnesses have told authorities that one of the people involved laid down on the tracks and rolled off at the very last second as the freight train approached. 

The second person, apparently wearing a back pack or book bag, was too close to the tracks, Kerr said. The train hit the back pack or bag, which was ripped off the person. 

"Luckily, no one was pulled under the train," she said, noting the investigation is still so new that she's not sure of the ages or genders of the people involved. 

No word yet on whether police or fire officials will pursue charges against the two people involved in the incident.

In September, 16-year-old Joseph Fernandez was struck and killed by a train in Miamisburg when he tried to perform a stunt. 

“All these videos on YouTube of people doing this exact same stunt and not dying is what encouraged these kids to do this,” Joseph’s uncle Joshua Fernandez said following his death. “People should stop posting this stuff.”

GOT A TIP? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com