Snake knocks out power for 22,000 customers in Florida

Published: Friday, July 21, 2017 @ 9:39 AM

Dangerous Snakes

Florida's Jacksonville Electric Authority is working on changes to keep critters from knocking out residents' power.

>> Watch the news report here

A snake is being blamed for a major outage in Orange Park that left 22,000 customers in the dark.

JEA officials said the snake came into contact with a high voltage circuit breaker.

A wildlife trapper said it was a red rat snake.

>> Read more Floridoh! stories

“This time of year the snakes are really bad,” neighbor Cynthia Surrency said.

>> See the photo here

This is not the first time a snake has caused an outage.

In July 2014, a snake got into a transformer and caused a brief power outage at the St Johns Town Center.

Then in September 2015, a snake crawled into a transformer in Clay Electric’s Double Branch substation and caused an outage that left 5,000 customers in the dark for an hour.

Two weeks later, another snake caused a power outage that affected thousands of customers in the northern part of Clay County.

>> Read more trending news

Action News Jax asked JEA if anything is being done to prevent this from happening again.

Officials said animal guards and fiberglass brackets are being installed on distribution lines to help prevent contact between animals and energized equipment.

They also say the company is also working to prevent bird nests in substations because eggs attract hungry snakes.

JEA said on average, animals cause one outage once every two or three years inside a substation.

Man infested with tapeworms after eating sushi: Hoax or real?

Published: Thursday, September 25, 2014 @ 10:33 AM
Updated: Friday, September 26, 2014 @ 3:30 PM

Update: Snopes.com states that this story is not accurate, and that the shocking images may be associated with a case from earlier this year involving raw pork or beef, not fish.

 

Original story: The man went to his doctor when he couldn’t get rid of stomach pains and itchy skin.

 

After an examination and x-rays, he was told the problem was tapeworms.

 

Lots of tapeworms.

 

Doctors at Guangzhou No. 8 People's Hospital in Guangdong Province in eastern China told the man it was likely he picked up the parasites by eating slices of raw fish, called sashimi.

 

The Journal Canadian Family Physician reports infestations like this are on the rise around the world.

 

Nancy Craig wrote, “The widespread popularity of Japanese sushi and sashimi is a contributor."

 

It’s expected the man will be fine because treatment for the condition is simple and effective as long as the infection doesn’t reach the brain.

 

If it does, doctors say it can be fatal.

 

Woman says neighborhood church bells too loud

Published: Saturday, January 13, 2018 @ 12:51 PM

Woman Complains New Church Bells Too Loud

The bells from a church in New Mexico are anything but heavenly-sounding to one disgruntled neighbor.

Bernadette Hall-Cuaron told KOB that she's lived near Our Lady of Guadalupe church for years with no issues, but a couple of months ago, the church switched to an electronic bell system. 

The switch means that the bells sound several times per day, and each occasion can include 20-25 bell rings, according to Hall-Cuaron. The electronic bell system also plays songs like "Amazing Grace."

>> Read more trending news 

Hall-Cuaron told KOB that the bells are so loud they wake her up, and make it difficult to work from home. She wishes church leadership would have consulted with residents in the area before installing the new bell system. She also said that she's complained directly to church officials, but she is not satisfied with their response.

The church's pastor told KOB that he's lowered the volume and is starting the bells at 8 a.m. instead of 6 a.m. in response to Hall-Cuaron's complaints. 

While Hall-Cuaraon said the bells are annoying enough to deter people from going to church, the pastor told KOB that he's heard from neighbors who appreciate the bells.

Raccoon triggers transformer explosion, major power outage

Published: Saturday, December 16, 2017 @ 3:34 PM

A file image of a raccoon.
Pixabay
A file image of a raccoon.(Pixabay)

A town in New Mexico was left in the dark Wednesday night after a raccoon met a fiery fate with a power station transformer.

Those who live near the facility in Rio Rancho told KOB they saw, heard and felt the transformer explosion. Residents reported seeing flames, sparks and a blinding light, along with feeling their houses shaking.
>> Read more trending news 

Approximately 9,600 customers lost power, the Public Service Company of New Mexico told KOB.

A PNM spokesperson told KOB the utility will evaluate whether it needs to add extra protection to the fenced area around the power station to prevent a recurrence of wildlife interference with equipment.

Owl turns routine oil change into real hoot

Published: Saturday, December 16, 2017 @ 3:05 PM

An owl was found on a car engine during an oil change in New Hampshire.
Salem NH Police Department
An owl was found on a car engine during an oil change in New Hampshire.(Salem NH Police Department)

A mechanic in New Hampshire attempting to perform an oil change Friday found a surprise guest on the car's engine.

An Eastern Screech owl was discovered on the engine, according to a Facebook post by the Salem, New Hampshire Police Department. 
>> Read more trending news 

Police said the owl was friendly and easy to handle, but did appear to be a bit lethargic. While the car owner told police they had no idea how the bird got in the car, it's believed the owl sought the car's engine for warmth, or perhaps while chasing a mouse.

The owl, which police named Shazam, was taken to On the Wing, a wildlife rehabilitation center.