9-pound hairball removed from teen's stomach

Published: Thursday, October 02, 2014 @ 7:56 AM
Updated: Thursday, October 02, 2014 @ 7:56 AM

Trending on Facebook

More popular and trending stories

Doctors in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, recently removed a 9-pound hairball from a teenager's stomach.

Ayperi Alekseeva, 18, said she was having bad stomach pains, according to Yahoo News. She began losing weight rapidly and sought treatment.

That's when doctors found a giant hairball blocking nearly all of her digestive tract.

Dr. Bahadir Bebezov said surgery was the only option, Yahoo reported. 

"Nothing else would solve the problem," he said. “In fact, her stomach was so badly swollen from hair and bits of wool from the carpet that it literally just oozed out as soon as the wall of the stomach was cut.”

>> Read more trending stories

When asked how all that material got into the stomach, Alekseeva said she has a habit of chewing her hair. She said she also ate bits of carpet and wool she found on the floor.

Doctors think this is the biggest hairball ever removed from a human, Metro reported.

Man infested with tapeworms after eating sushi: Hoax or real?

Published: Thursday, September 25, 2014 @ 10:33 AM
Updated: Friday, September 26, 2014 @ 3:30 PM

Update: Snopes.com states that this story is not accurate, and that the shocking images may be associated with a case from earlier this year involving raw pork or beef, not fish.

 

Original story: The man went to his doctor when he couldn’t get rid of stomach pains and itchy skin.

 

After an examination and x-rays, he was told the problem was tapeworms.

 

Lots of tapeworms.

 

Doctors at Guangzhou No. 8 People's Hospital in Guangdong Province in eastern China told the man it was likely he picked up the parasites by eating slices of raw fish, called sashimi.

 

The Journal Canadian Family Physician reports infestations like this are on the rise around the world.

 

Nancy Craig wrote, “The widespread popularity of Japanese sushi and sashimi is a contributor."

 

It’s expected the man will be fine because treatment for the condition is simple and effective as long as the infection doesn’t reach the brain.

 

If it does, doctors say it can be fatal.

 

Woman says neighborhood church bells too loud

Published: Saturday, January 13, 2018 @ 12:51 PM

Woman Complains New Church Bells Too Loud

The bells from a church in New Mexico are anything but heavenly-sounding to one disgruntled neighbor.

Bernadette Hall-Cuaron told KOB that she's lived near Our Lady of Guadalupe church for years with no issues, but a couple of months ago, the church switched to an electronic bell system. 

The switch means that the bells sound several times per day, and each occasion can include 20-25 bell rings, according to Hall-Cuaron. The electronic bell system also plays songs like "Amazing Grace."

>> Read more trending news 

Hall-Cuaron told KOB that the bells are so loud they wake her up, and make it difficult to work from home. She wishes church leadership would have consulted with residents in the area before installing the new bell system. She also said that she's complained directly to church officials, but she is not satisfied with their response.

The church's pastor told KOB that he's lowered the volume and is starting the bells at 8 a.m. instead of 6 a.m. in response to Hall-Cuaron's complaints. 

While Hall-Cuaraon said the bells are annoying enough to deter people from going to church, the pastor told KOB that he's heard from neighbors who appreciate the bells.

Raccoon triggers transformer explosion, major power outage

Published: Saturday, December 16, 2017 @ 3:34 PM

A file image of a raccoon.
Pixabay
A file image of a raccoon.(Pixabay)

A town in New Mexico was left in the dark Wednesday night after a raccoon met a fiery fate with a power station transformer.

Those who live near the facility in Rio Rancho told KOB they saw, heard and felt the transformer explosion. Residents reported seeing flames, sparks and a blinding light, along with feeling their houses shaking.
>> Read more trending news 

Approximately 9,600 customers lost power, the Public Service Company of New Mexico told KOB.

A PNM spokesperson told KOB the utility will evaluate whether it needs to add extra protection to the fenced area around the power station to prevent a recurrence of wildlife interference with equipment.

Owl turns routine oil change into real hoot

Published: Saturday, December 16, 2017 @ 3:05 PM

An owl was found on a car engine during an oil change in New Hampshire.
Salem NH Police Department
An owl was found on a car engine during an oil change in New Hampshire.(Salem NH Police Department)

A mechanic in New Hampshire attempting to perform an oil change Friday found a surprise guest on the car's engine.

An Eastern Screech owl was discovered on the engine, according to a Facebook post by the Salem, New Hampshire Police Department. 
>> Read more trending news 

Police said the owl was friendly and easy to handle, but did appear to be a bit lethargic. While the car owner told police they had no idea how the bird got in the car, it's believed the owl sought the car's engine for warmth, or perhaps while chasing a mouse.

The owl, which police named Shazam, was taken to On the Wing, a wildlife rehabilitation center.