log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Saturday, October 21, 2017 @ 12:13 PM
ORLANDO, Fla. — Amazon customers in Florida got a surprise when they opened the package that arrived on their doorstep.
They ordered four plastic storage bins, but the containers came with 65 pounds of marijuana.
“We love Amazon and do a lot of shopping on Amazon,” the customer told WFTV, who asked not to be identified for safety reasons.
When she and her fiancé needed to put some things in storage, they placed an order for 27-gallon storage totes.
But when they arrived to their Orlando home, the couple knew something didn't feel right.
"They were extremely heavy, heavier than you would think from ordering four empty bins,” she said.
The marijuana was in boxes inside the totes and as soon as they opened the boxes, they were hit with a strong odor.
"When the first officer got here, she was in disbelief,” the customer said.
Police seized the drugs and launched an investigation.
It had been shipped by Amazon’s Warehouse Deals via UPS from a facility in Massachusetts.
"We were still pretty fearful our home would be broken into, and we didn't sleep there for a few days,” the customer said.
The couple said that after going back and forth with Amazon mostly by email for more than a month, they never spoke to a supervisor.
They eventually received an email giving them a $150 gift card with the message, "I am unable to do anything else at this time."
The customers said what they wanted was an apology and an explanation about how this could happen.
"There was no concern for a customer's safety. I mean, this could have turned into a worst-case scenario," one of the customers told WFTV.
Orlando police said there have been no arrests, but they are still actively investigating the case.
Published: Thursday, September 25, 2014 @ 10:33 AM
Updated: Friday, September 26, 2014 @ 3:30 PM
GUANDONG PROVINCE, China —
Update: Snopes.com states that this story is not accurate, and that the shocking images may be associated with a case from earlier this year involving raw pork or beef, not fish.
Original story: The man went to his doctor when he couldn’t get rid of stomach pains and itchy skin.
After an examination and x-rays, he was told the problem was tapeworms.
Lots of tapeworms.
Doctors at Guangzhou No. 8 People's Hospital in Guangdong Province in eastern China told the man it was likely he picked up the parasites by eating slices of raw fish, called sashimi.
The Journal Canadian Family Physician reports infestations like this are on the rise around the world.
Nancy Craig wrote, “The widespread popularity of Japanese sushi and sashimi is a contributor."
It’s expected the man will be fine because treatment for the condition is simple and effective as long as the infection doesn’t reach the brain.
If it does, doctors say it can be fatal.
Published: Saturday, January 13, 2018 @ 12:51 PM
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — The bells from a church in New Mexico are anything but heavenly-sounding to one disgruntled neighbor.
Bernadette Hall-Cuaron told KOB that she's lived near Our Lady of Guadalupe church for years with no issues, but a couple of months ago, the church switched to an electronic bell system.
The switch means that the bells sound several times per day, and each occasion can include 20-25 bell rings, according to Hall-Cuaron. The electronic bell system also plays songs like "Amazing Grace."
Hall-Cuaron told KOB that the bells are so loud they wake her up, and make it difficult to work from home. She wishes church leadership would have consulted with residents in the area before installing the new bell system. She also said that she's complained directly to church officials, but she is not satisfied with their response.
The church's pastor told KOB that he's lowered the volume and is starting the bells at 8 a.m. instead of 6 a.m. in response to Hall-Cuaron's complaints.
Published: Saturday, December 16, 2017 @ 3:34 PM
RIO RANCHO, N.M.
— A town in New Mexico was left in the dark Wednesday night after a raccoon met a fiery fate with a power station transformer.
Those who live near the facility in Rio Rancho told KOB they saw, heard and felt the transformer explosion. Residents reported seeing flames, sparks and a blinding light, along with feeling their houses shaking.
>> Read more trending news
Published: Saturday, December 16, 2017 @ 3:05 PM
— A mechanic in New Hampshire attempting to perform an oil change Friday found a surprise guest on the car's engine.
An Eastern Screech owl was discovered on the engine, according to a Facebook post by the Salem, New Hampshire Police Department.
>> Read more trending news