log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 @ 6:38 AM
— Are you ready for bone-chilling cold and snow? The cold is here and we could see snow this weekend.>>Track snow with LIVE Interactive DOPPLER 7 RADAR
It’s not uncommon to have outbreaks of arctic air this time of year, said Storm Center 7 Meteorologist Kirstie Zontini.
December, meteorologically speaking, is the beginning of winter and the winter solstice will also arrive in just a few weeks.
A negative phase of the Arctic Oscillation is allowing very cold air to spill into the Miami Valley and stay through the middle of December. This means any storm systems or disturbances this week will have temperatures cold enough to support snow, Zontini said.
WHEN YOU MIGHT SEE SNOW THIS WEEKEND:
A piece of upper-level energy will enter the Miami Valley Saturday and bring the chance for snow showers. The timing looks to impact the morning and afternoon hours.
Meteorologist Kirstie Zontini said there isn't much moisture so accumulations will be light — likely less than an inch.
You can track it moving in yourself if you have our free WHIO Weather App. It gives you access to LIVE Doppler 7 Radar anytime, anywhere. It’s LOCAL forecast information, not forecasts from a national app. Take a tour of the apps features and see what it can do for yourself.
Looking at the past, the Dayton International Airport usually sees the first measurable snow — a tenth of an inch or more — at the end of November. This year we got a little snow around that time.
The first inch of snow at the airport is usually around December 7.
Published: Saturday, January 20, 2018 @ 11:32 AM
Updated: Saturday, January 20, 2018 @ 3:12 PM
WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE — The National Museum of the U.S. Air Force closed Saturday after initially opening in the morning in the midst of a federal government shutdown.
Hundreds of people had trekked inside the world’s largest military aviation museum Saturday morning before the closure at 1 p.m.
The fallout was the latest from the federal closure expected to affect thousands of workers at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, the largest single-site employer in Ohio with an estimated 27,000 military and civilian personnel.
Wright-Patt employees were told to report to work Monday for further instructions on “shutdown activities,” but it was not yet known how many would be furloughed if the partial federal closure continued into the work week.
National Park Service interpretive centers near Huffman Prairie where the Wright brothers perfected the airplane, and the Wright-Dunbar Interpretive Center in Dayton, were among NPS sites closed Saturday in the region because of the shutdown, although the two properties were open to traffic.
What’s next for the base?
More fallout was expected Monday if the shutdown persists into the work week.
As of Friday, base officials did not have an estimate of how many Wright-Patterson civil service workers might be furloughed. All military personnel, and some civilian employees deemed in “essential” jobs, would be exempt from being sent home temporarily, but would not be paid until Congress passes an appropriations bill, according to the Pentagon.
When the last shutdown struck in 2013, both furloughed workers and those who stayed on the job were reimbursed.
Base authorities have not released further details of the full scope of what might be impacted at Wright-Patterson.
The Child Development Center was scheduled to be open Monday, spokeswoman Marie Vanover said Saturday.
Col. Alden Hilton, commander of the Air Force School of Aerospace Medicine which marked its 100th anniversary Friday, said essential classes to train aeromedical flight personnel would continue without interruption.
Hundreds of Air Force reservists scheduled for a monthly drill weekend Jan. 20-21 with the 445th Airlift Wing were expected to proceed because it was previously funded, said Lt. Col. Cynthia Harris, a unit spokeswoman.
Museum to remain closed
Matthew and Leigh Boyce, a married couple, traveled from St. Louis to the Air Force museum hoping it was open despite a partial federal government shutdown that struck midnight Saturday when Congress failed to pass a short-term stopgap funding measure.
“We came into town to see our daughter and this was obviously one of the things we wanted to go to, but we were worried after we heard the news that we weren’t going to be able to get in,” Boyce, 46, said as he and his wife, Leigh, stood in the newest gallery housing iconic presidential planes and one-of-a-kind experimental jets.
“We checked the website that said it might be a possibility that it would not be open because of the shutdown, and we called this morning and they said they didn’t know whether they were even going to be open, but they suggested we come and see,” he added.
A museum spokeswoman said in an email late Friday the museum planned to stay open this weekend until it received a federal order to shut down. On Saturday, the museum indicated it would remain closed until the shutdown has ended.
Steven Wright said he was part of a group with a Cub Scout pack that drove four-and-a-half hours Saturday from Pittsburgh, Pa., only to discover the museum closed.
“It would have been nice to have known, but we didn’t even think to check on that,” he said.
The political drama over the failure of Congress and the White House to prevent a shutdown because of a lapse in a temporary funding frustrated Boyce.
“Our entire government causes me frustration,” he said. “It’s a little ridiculous that things like this get used as pawns in political games.”
Published: Saturday, January 20, 2018 @ 1:02 PM
HARRISON TWP. — UPDATE @ 2:05 p.m.
Two people are in custody following an officer-involved shooting late this morning in the 3500 block of Salem Avenue.
No one was injured, and the coroner’s office did not respond to the scene, despite earlier reports.
Law enforcement responded to the area of Lev’s Pawn Shop, 3351 Salem Ave. in Harrison Twp.
Dayton police Maj. Eric Henderson said there were reports that a vehicle was spotted there that may have been involved in an aggravated burglary in Riverside, and that the suspects may have been trying to pawn weapons stolen in that incident.
#SalemAveIncident An officer involved shooting occurred in 3500 block of Salem Ave. NO officers or suspects were injured. Mont. Co. Sheriff's Office will conduct criminal investigation. We will handle administrative investigation.— Dayton Police Dept. (@DaytonPolice) January 20, 2018
“While approaching this vehicle there was immediate threat and officers discharged several rounds,” he said.
No one was injured when the Dayton detective fired his service weapon.
There are two, possibly three people in custody, Henderson said. The names and potential charges have not been released.
The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident, Henderson said.
Riverside is investigating the aggravated burglary in its jurisdiction, and the Dayton Police Department is handling its own administrative investigation, police said.
Yellow crime scene tape surrounded Lev’s Pawn Shop this afternoon as part of a police investigation.
Two people were seen in the back of a police cruiser.
Officers were called at 10:47 p.m. by Riverside police to the pawn shop, 3551 Salem Ave., in Harrison Twp., according to the Montgomery County Regional Dispatch Center. No information was available on what led police there.
A witness at the scene told our crew on scene that the incident began as a robbery, but dispatch did not confirm that report.
Published: Saturday, January 20, 2018 @ 2:51 PM
Updated: Saturday, January 20, 2018 @ 2:51 PM
— Nobody denies the Democratic field of candidates running for Ohio governor is crowded.
But the whether that is a good thing for the party — and its fortunes in November — depends on how the five candidates behave, according to political experts and party officials.
“I am not sure we can assume that a tight primary will damage a candidate for a general election unless the party emerges fractured,” said Mark Caleb Smith, director of the Center for Political Studies at Cedarville College.
Assuming no one drops out — or suddenly appears — by the Feb. 7 filing deadline, Democratic voters will chose among five candidates, two of whom have strong statewide name recognition.
Dennis Kucinich, a former U.S. congressman and former Cleveland mayor, joined the race on Wednesday. Kucinich has twice run for president, but has been out of Congress since 2012, after Republican-led redistricting combined his Cleveland-area district with the one held by Rep. Marcy Kaptur, D-Toledo. Kaptur defeated Kucinich in the Democratic primary.
Richard Cordray was also a late entry in the Democratic race, joining it in November after leaving his job as director of the U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Cordray has twice won statewide elections — once for Ohio treasurer and once for attorney general. He lost to Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine in 2010. President Barack Obama then picked him to lead the consumer protection bureau.
Former Ohio Rep. Connie Pillich of Cincinnati, state Sen. Joe Schiavoni of Boardman, and Ohio Supreme Court Justice Bill O’Neill are also in the running. Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley was in the race but dropped out and said she would support Cordray. Former U.S. Rep. Betty Sutton withdrew her candidacy after Cordray picked her to be his running mate.
Kucinich on Friday selected Akron councilwoman Tara Samples to join him on the ticket.
Narrowed Republican field
There are just two candidates left on the Republican side: DeWine and Lt. Gov. Mary Taylor. The field narrowed when DeWine tapped Secretary of State Jon Husted to be his running mate. Husted had been running for the top job. Then Rep. Jim Renacci changed races and said he would run for the Senate instead of governor after Ohio Treasurer Josh Mandel abandoned his bid for that office, attributing the decision to his wife’s health.
Smith says DeWine is the frontrunner in the race and has what he called the “experience edge.” Taylor, who has been in state government since 2003, has taken aim at what she calls “career politicians,” hoping perhaps to borrow from the winning strategy employed by President Donald Trump in Ohio in 2016. She picked Cincinnati businesman Nathan Estruth to be her running mate.
“In many ways the Ohio GOP has been ground zero for a Trump-Kasich proxy war,” said Lee Hannah, assistant professor of political science at Wright State University. “I think that could continue into the primaries although I’m not really sure that Taylor and Estruth can keep up with DeWine and Husted’s fundraising,”
No cake walk
Christopher Devine, assistant professor of political science at the University of Dayton, sees Cordray as the frontrunner in the Democratic race and said the primary will give him a chance to knock off some rust since he hasn’t run for office since 2010.
But it’s far from a cake walk. Kucinich has strong name identification and a working class back story. Pillich is a lawyer, has an Air Force background and is the lone woman in the field. Schiavoni has a strong following in northeast Ohio, a part of the state crucial for any Democrat to win. And O’Neill, while perhaps best described as a wild card, has made enough controversial statements to draw headlines from one end of the state to the other —if nothing else, putting his name before voters.
Senate Republicans have started a process to remove him from the Supreme Court for campaigning while on the bench.
David Pepper, chairman of the Ohio Democratic Party, says he is staying neutral. The party is holding candidate debates open to any of the Democrats willing to be vetted by the party. Only O’Neill has refused to be vetted, according to Pepper.
Pepper said his goal is to have an energetic, transparent primary and he sees it as a plus that five people and their running mates will be scouring the state for votes and preaching the Democratic message. When it’s over, he expects everyone to unite around the candidate who wins.
“The first thing we need to do is make sure the core Democrats are energized about our candidates,” he said.
RELATED: Kucinich launches governor bidTweets by Ohio_Politics
Published: Saturday, January 20, 2018 @ 2:44 PM
PHOENIX — An Arizona woman who gave her toddler a fatal dose of methamphetamine in 2016 was sentenced Friday to 20 years in prison.
Natalie Russell, 30, pleaded guilty last month to second-degree murder and child abuse, azcentral.com reported. Russell claimed she gave her 22-month-old daughter meth to counteract the effects of methadone. The child had accidentally ingested methadone that was left in an open container, Russell allegedly told police. Officials said Russell failed to get her daughter medical assistance.