WATCH: See the devastating damage of Sunday night’s powerful storms

Published: Monday, November 06, 2017 @ 6:41 AM

Video courtesy of iWitness 7 user Opie Rob Haney

Powerful storms rolled through the Miami Valley on Sunday evening, Nov. 5, setting a record for daily rainfall and causing wind and water damage.

Officials will continue to work today to learn the extent of the damages and the details. Our crews covered the damage throughout the region while it was happening.

Below are videos showing what conditions were like throughout southwest Ohio on Sunday night.

» National Weather Service to survey damage in Mercer County this morning
» High water remains issue Monday morning after prompting rescues
» ‘Significant’ damage, injuries, reported from Mercer County tornado

Damage from suspected tornado in Celina

A suspected tornado caused major damage to businesses and homes in Celina in Mercer County on Sunday.

Sky 7: Aerial views of storm damage in Celina

Great Miami River flooding

The Great Miami River was running with flood waters on Monday morning.

Great Miami River flooding in Butler County

Mercer County barn collapse

A barn that was about a year old collapsed during the storm on St. Rt. 49 in Mercer County. About 400 cows were held in the barn.

» Mercer Co. farmers work to rescue nearly 400 cows from flattened barn


Celina storm damage

Here’s what our crews saw when arriving in Celina at about 8:30 p.m. on Sunday.

» PHOTOS: November storms, tornado in Miami Valley

NewsCenter 7's Sean Cudahy shows you Celina storm damage

More damage in Celina

These were the views in the area where a tornado was reported in Celina on Sunday evening.

RAW: Strong winds in Celina

Storm debris in St. Marys

Debris covered the streets of St. Marys after a powerful part of Sunday’s storm passed through.

Storm debris

Flooding on Woodman near Goodwill Outlet

iWitness 7 user Opie Rob Haney took this video of showing cars driving through high water on roadways.

Video courtesy of iWitness 7 user Opie Rob Haney

19-year-old male in custody after East Dayton stabbing

Published: Friday, November 24, 2017 @ 11:09 PM

Cred: Montgomery County Jail
(Cred: Montgomery County Jail)

UPDATE @ 5:12 a.m: A 19-year-old male is in custody after stabbing another man on Briarwood Avenue late Friday night.

LOCAL NEWS: Police officer shoots suspect while responding to domestic incident

Dashon Hill is in Montgomery County Jail on an assault charge after stabbing 20-year-old Jerrid Gibson in the back.

Dayton police were dispatched to the 400 block of Briarwood Avenue for a fight in progress where multiple people were in the street yelling.

Officers found Gibson in the back seat of a vehicle with a stab wound to the back from a folding pocket knife. Hill fled the scene after stabbing Gibson. 

Gibson was taken to Miami Valley Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Hill was arrested last night not too long after a broadcast was made of a suspect description. 

UPDATE @ 11:31 p.m.:

One person was stabbed and the suspected stabber remains on the loose following a fight on Briarwood Avenue Friday night, according to police.

The man who was stabbed was taken to a local hospital, but is expected to be OK, police said.

Officers did take a juvenile into custody on the scene who may have been involved in the incident, police said.


Dayton police have responded to a possible stabbing on Briarwood Avenue this evening.

Initial reports indicated that multiple people were fighting and that at least one person was possibly stabbed.

The incident was reported around 11 p.m. in the 400 block of Briarwood.

A caller to our news room said he saw a large response from police.

We’re working to learn more.

Massachusetts policemen help deliver baby boy 

Published: Saturday, November 25, 2017 @ 5:26 AM

Stoneham policeman Michael Colotti holds the baby he helped deliver late Thursday.
Stoneham policeman Michael Colotti holds the baby he helped deliver late Thursday.(

A baby boy was successfully delivered at home in Massachusetts on Thanksgiving night thanks to the assistance of the Stoneham Police Department.

>> Read more trending news

Chief James McIntyre said police received a report of a woman in labor around 11 p.m. Thursday.

Officers Christopher Murphy and Michael Colotti arrived and realized there wasn't enough time to safely transport the expectant mother to the hospital.

The Thanksgiving emergency call that turned into one of the most uplifting moments on the job for both officers required them to think quickly on the spot.

The officers helped the woman onto her back and propped her up with pillows -- before helping her deliver a healthy baby boy.

“For me it was probably one of the most incredible experiences of my short career and it just felt great,” Colotti said.

The Stoneham Fire Department and an ambulance arrived after the delivery and brought the mother and her baby to Winchester Hospital.

Earlier that day, the woman thought she was going into labor and rushed to the hospital, only to be sent back home.

“They had said that the baby was not ready and to come back when the contractions were closer. They came back home and were getting ready for bed and we all know what happened next,” Colotti said.

Police officers have to be prepared for a number of emergency calls, but this was one of the situations where they had to learn how to help right then and there.

“Of the four of us on shift, none of us have kids so of course that was the situation and we just kind of had to figure it out as we went,” Murphy said.

Thankfully, it didn't take long before Murphy and Colotti were welcoming a healthy baby boy in the world. 

"We see and deal with so much stuff, that was an uplifting thing to be a part of," Colotti said. “I would say nothing is going to prepare for that situation but training did kick in for both of us and we did what we had to do.”

Colotti had the chance to visit Kye Jadon and his mother at Winchester Hospital on Friday afternoon -- the baby and mom are doing fine. 

Marijuana dispensaries in Vegas get high marks from Black Friday shoppers

Published: Saturday, November 25, 2017 @ 4:51 AM

Marijuana in Nevada was available on Black Friday at dispensaries in Las Vegas.
Ethan Miller/Getty Images
Marijuana in Nevada was available on Black Friday at dispensaries in Las Vegas.(Ethan Miller/Getty Images)

A Las Vegas marijuana dispensary added a new twist to Black Friday.

>> Read more trending news

“I’m Black Friday shopping for marijuana,” said 32-year-old Steven Smith as he waited outside the The+Source marijuana dispensary, The Las Vegas Journal-Review reported.

Smith was hoping to score a free 1 gram pre-rolled joint with any $20 purchase, offered to the first 250 customers.

“It’s a lot better than waiting in an alley,” said Greg Brown, 53. “I’m in line, making new friends. It’s just amazing.”

It was the first Black Friday in which Nevada cannabis dispensaries were able to sell to adults 21 and over in the general public, instead of just to medical marijuana card holders. Recreational marijuana sales became legal in Nevada on July 1, the Journal-Review reported.

“I think we’re collectively celebrating the end of prohibition,” Andrew Jolley, CEO of The+Source, told the Journal-Review. “What it means for the cannabis movement and overcoming the unjustified stigmas of the past. I’m excited for all of those reasons.”

At Essence Cannabis Dispensary, people lined up around the the corner awaiting the store’s 10 a.m. opening.

“They’re very excited. We’re fully staffed, all the registers going. It’s fun for them,” Essence CEO Armen Yemenidjian told the Journal-Review. “And it’s historic for us to be able to be part of Black Friday.”

Cannabis shoppers could choose from discounted marijuana flower strains and edibles, buy-one-get one free sales and even some free cannabis, the Journal-Review reported.

Brown said the stop at the dispensary was his first on Black Friday and one he needed to survive the chaos of shopping at retail stores, the Journal-Review reported.

“This is the first one,” Brown said. “After this, I can wait in line smoothly.”

North Korea replaces border soldiers after defection

Published: Saturday, November 25, 2017 @ 3:12 AM

United Nations Command spokesman Colonel Chad G. Carroll shows a surveillance TV footage containing the moment of defection of a North Korean soldier.
AFP Contributor/AFP/Getty Images
United Nations Command spokesman Colonel Chad G. Carroll shows a surveillance TV footage containing the moment of defection of a North Korean soldier.(AFP Contributor/AFP/Getty Images)

After dramatic video surfaced of a North Korean guard defecting across the border into South Korea, Kim Jong Un’s government has replaced nearly all of the soldiers who were stationed at the site where the escape took place Nov. 13, CNN reported.

>> Read more trending news

“North Korea replaced almost all of its troops, if not all, at the Joint Security Area for their failure to prevent the defection,” said Kim Young-woo, chairman of the South Korean National Assembly's defense committee. “It was obviously a part of punishment for failing their mission to deter the North Korean soldier's escape. North Korea has always punished those responsible for similar failures.”

North Korea, meanwhile, planted trees and dug a trench at a section of the Military Demarcation Line, according to Marc Knapper, the chargé d'affaires at the US Embassy in Seoul. Knapper tweeted a photo of dramatic video released by the United Nations Command on Wednesday. The video showed a North Korean soldier's daring dash to freedom while being fired upon by his former comrades.

After the defector's vehicle got stuck in a gutter close to the border, he jumped out and ran toward the South Korean side, CNN reported.

>> WATCH: North Korean guard makes dramatic defection

The 24-year-old soldier, known only by his last name -- Oh -- has regained consciousness after being shot and was undergoing treatment, CNN reported.

Oh is the third member of the North Korean armed forces to defect this year.

More than 40 bullets were fired at him from pistols and an AK-47 assault rifle, South Korea's military said last week. South Korean troops did not return fire.

Oh had lost more than 50 percent of his blood by the time he arrived by air at Ajou University Hospital, his surgeon Lee Cook Jong told reporters Wednesday.