Washington State escort accused of shooting client in the head

Published: Friday, November 10, 2017 @ 3:03 AM

Escort Accused of Shooting Client Twice in the Head

Prosecutors in Washington State said an escort shot a man in the head twice in his home, then stole his wallet and gun before running away. The man survived, police said.

>> Read more trending news

Investigators in Snohomish County arrested the suspect, 21-year-old Marissa Wallen on Tuesday, and she made her first court appearance via video camera Wednesday. 

Probable cause documents say Wallen shot the 36-year-old victim while the two were engaged in sexual activity at his North Everett home.

“I was stunned on Tuesday when the first detective came to our door,” said Mark Barnum, who lives next door. “He said your neighbor was shot twice in the head.”

The probable cause document said Wallen admitted to shooting her client in the back of the head, while they were engaged in sexual activity, and that "she fired a second shot that struck him in the side of the face.”

Wallen “said that she then took his wallet (off) his night stand and fled the location, believing, he was dead on his bedroom floor,” according to the probable cause document.

The victim's neighbor said he heard a noise. 

“I heard what sounded like two or three taps coming from the wall,” Barnum said. “It was notable because we don't usually hear anything.” 

He said he thought the noise could have been a hammer at first, until he talked with detectives. 

“It just kind of shocking to think perhaps that was maybe - maybe those were the shots. Maybe it was [the victim]. And I feel really badly that I was unable to help,” Barnum said 

An officer found the victim three days after the shooting. 

During a welfare check, the officer found the victim “sitting up against a wall in the master bedroom… he had a lot of dried blood on his head and he was awake, but unresponsive,” the documents said.

A CT scan found two bullets still in the victim’s head.

Neighbors say he works in tech.

“He keeps to himself a lot, he's got his computer stuff up there. He handles a lot of websites, it security,” said Erik Buxton, another neighbor. We’ll talk, he’s a nice guy.” 

Documents say he had cameras that captured Wallen inside the home and running down the driveway. 

Wallen is also accused of using the victim's credit cards to rack up more than $10,000  in charges

Documents say the victim "had been hiring female escorts and frequenting a strip club in Seattle, where he was bragging about how much money he earned and belongings he had at his house.” 

“He liked to kind of flash his money a little bit. It's what's going to happen - you're going to attract negative people along the way,” Buxton said. 

But neighbors say they're just glad he survived. 

“He got a long hard road ahead of him, so I wish him well,” Barnum said. “I’m just so glad that for him and his family that he’s going to pull through.”

A judge Wednesday said Wallen had warrants out for her arrest and a long string of failures to appear, and set her bail for $1 million. 

Jenner Matthews was arrested in connection with the case Tuesday. The probable cause document said Wallen made payments to him through Facebook using the victim’s accounts.

Officers were able to communicate with the victim at the hospital with gestures, but court documents say the victim is unable to speak.

12 camels booted from beauty contest at Middle East festival over Botox use

Published: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 @ 6:16 PM



Pixabay
(Pixabay)

Camels were once prized across the Middle East for transportation, for use in war, for food and even as companions, as guides and partners. Now they’re prized for a whole different set of reasons, including their beauty and racing abilities, and are celebrated at annual camel festivals across the region.

>> Read more trending news 

But it was a little surprising when news reports began surfacing that at least 12 camels have been disqualified from a camel beauty pageant in Saudi Arabia after their handlers were caught using Botox on them.

The camels were among 30,000 of the desert beasts competing in the annual King Abdulaziz Camel Festival, according to The National, a United Arab Emirate-based news service.

Because a “perfect pout” is so valuable, camel owners will go to great lengths to ensure their camel has the proper assets, including “a full, droopy lip and large features,” The National reported.

“They use Botox for the lips, the nose, the upper lips, the lower lips and even the jaw,” Ali Al Mazrouei, 31, a regular at Gulf camel festivals and the son of a top Emirati breeder told the online site.

“It makes the head more inflated so when the camel comes it’s like, ‘Oh look at how big is that head is. It has big lips, a big nose,’” features the camels are prized for. They’re also prized for small ears and some handlers have been known to take matters into their own hands and perform plastic surgery on the ears to achieve a perfect ear.

It’s no wonder camel handlers are so serious about the appearance of their beasts and willing to risk disqualification to enhance their features: $57 million is at stake in prize money at this year’s festival.

>> Related: Giant burning spider spreads flames in apartment, after torched by tenants

Some 300,000 visitors have attended the second annual festival since it started in early January. It runs through the end of the month.

(Pixabay)

Hawaii governor couldn't correct missile alert sooner because he forgot Twitter password 

Published: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 @ 1:12 PM

Hawaii Governor Forgot Twitter Password, Couldn't Update Missile Alert

Forgetting a password to a social media account can be embarrassing, and that memory lapse caused some anxious moments in Hawaii when a missile alert was sent by mistake.

>> Read more trending news

When the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency sent the incorrect alert on Jan. 13, panic gripped the state. It took Hawaii Gov. David Ige 17 minutes to take to Twitter to reassure the public that the alert was a false alarm.

The reason, he admitted Monday, is that Ige forgot his Twitter password, The Washington Post reported.

“I have to confess that I don’t know my Twitter account log-ons and the passwords, so certainly that’s one of the changes that I’ve made,” Ige said after he gave his State of the State address, the Post reported.

The missile alert was sent at 8:07 a.m., and Ige was informed by the state’s adjutant general that it was false two minutes after it was sent, the Post reported. Ige posted to Twitter at 8:24, tweeting, “There is NO missile threat.”

The governor posted to his Facebook account 23 minutes after the alert was sent. Ige did not say if he had forgotten his Facebook login credentials, the Post reported.

“I was in the process of making calls to the leadership team both in Hawaii Emergency Management as well as others,” Ige told reporters Monday. “The focus really was on trying to get as many people informed about the fact that it was a false alert.”

14-year-old accidentally shot, killed by older sister

Published: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 @ 2:53 PM



Pixabay
(Pixabay)

A 14-year-old Indiana boy was accidentally shot and killed by his older sister Sunday as they and their father prepared to go target shooting.

Rex William Pruett was shot at his father’s home in Campbellsburg, a small Indiana town located about 50 miles northwest of Louisville, Kentucky. Rex, a seventh-grader at Orleans Junior-Senior High School, died a short time after his father rushed him to a hospital. 

“The father received a phone call and, while he was on the phone, the daughter, in what appeared to be unintentional, shot her brother with a .22-caliber revolver,” Indiana State Police spokesman Chad Dick told The Times-Mail in Bedford.

Officials at the boy’s school, where his sister is a ninth-grader, said that extra counselors were brought in Monday to help students cope with the tragedy. Police investigators waited to release the boy’s name until those measures were in place. 

“The first-period teachers had a written statement to read about the incident and then, for any students that need additional help, we have counselors standing by,” Orleans Community Schools Superintendent Gary McClintic told the newspaper.  

Chris Stevens, principal of the siblings’ school, showed a news crew from WAVE 3 News in Louisville Rex’s locker, which was adorned Monday with photos and letters from his classmates. 

“This does remind you quite a bit of Rex,” Stevens told the station. “There were a lot of tears and a lot of smiles today.”

Stevens said that faculty members and administrators have made it clear to students that the shooting was accidental. When Rex’s sister returns to class, they will offer her their support, he said. 

Family and friends also offered the girl their support on Facebook, where she described her younger brother as “such a sweet little boy.”

“Much love, Rexy, much love. We will all keep you in our hearts,” the girl wrote. 

>> Read more trending news

Stevens described the rural community as one in which guns are part of everyday life.

“In our elementary, at the sixth-grade level, we have a gun safety course that all of our students are allowed to go through,” Stevens told the news station

McClintic, who said he taught Rex’s father when he was a teacher, described the boy’s family as a good one that had been involved with Orleans’ public schools for multiple generations. 

“It’s hard on the community, just as much as it is on the school,” McClintic told The Times-Mail

Johnny Henderson, pastor of Lost River Missionary Baptist Church in Claysville, said that Rex and his family attended services there the morning of the shooting.

“He was an outstanding young man,” Henderson said.

The pastor said the Pruett family needs support, not criticism over the shooting.

“They need support and people to pray for them for peace and comfort,” Henderson said. “They still have a hard time going forward. They still have a funeral to go to.

“They are going to be living without this young man.”

Police plan to ramp up security at Jackson Browne concert in Florida after threat

Published: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 @ 1:28 PM

Jackson Browne will be performing Tuesday night in Orlando, Florida.
Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images
Jackson Browne will be performing Tuesday night in Orlando, Florida.(Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images)

There will be increased security during singer-songwriter Jackson Browne’s concert Tuesday evening at the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts after a threat was made at a northwest Indiana church known for its progressive stands on racial and social justice issues, the Orlando Police Department said.

>> Read more trending news

Police said banners with racist and anti-gay messages were discovered Sunday attached to a fence outside the Unitarian Universalist Church in West Lafayette, Indiana, which is about 70 miles northwest of Indianapolis.

The banners were discovered the morning after the church hosted a “Resistance Fair,” which included left-leaning groups that oppose President Donald Trump's agenda.

One banner included a slur against gays and lesbians; the second had slurs against racial minorities, gays and lesbians.

The second one also referenced Browne, while the other included the date Jan. 23 and the message "die Orlando just like Los (sic) Vegas,” referencing Browne’s appearance in Orlando.

The other wording appears to refer to the sniper who opened fire in October from a high-rise hotel in Las Vegas, killing 58 people and injuring more than 800 others.

West Lafayette police said they are investigating the incident and have notified the FBI.

Orlando police officials said they are in communication with police in Indiana.

“The safety and security of our guests, colleagues and artists is our highest priority,” Lorri Shaban, spokeswoman for the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, said in an emailed statement. “We were made aware of the situation Sunday night and have been working closely with law enforcement to ensure a safe, secure environment for the concert.”

Those who purchased tickets for the concert but don't feel safe may call the venue's box office for a refund, Shaban said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.