Warren County prosecutor: There are challenges in buried baby case

Published: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 @ 4:28 PM

Warren County Prosecutor David Fornshell talks about case

Minutes after Carlisle teen Brooke Skylar Richardson was arraigned for allegedly killing her newborn baby, defense attorney Charlie M. Rittgers said, “I can tell you Brooke Skylar Richardson did not kill her baby.”

That statement, Warren County Prosecutor David Fornshell told this news outlet, “telegraphs what their defense is going to be — the child was not born alive.”

>>Teen once convicted in Steubenville rape wants to play college football

>>Russian spy plane trolled Trump, flew low over WPAFB

And while Fornshell admits the case has challenges due to the condition of the baby’s remains, other evidence, he said, will prove Richardson purposely caused the death of the child.

MORE: What both sides are saying in Carlisle buried baby case

“Certainly it would be substantially easier if we could come in and say what the medical cause of death is, but that was made impossible or nearly impossible when she burned and buried the body,” Fornshell said. “I think it is going to be a challenge at the trial phase, because we don’t have that medical cause of death.”

Richardson, 18, who graduated from Carlisle High School in May, is accused of giving birth to a baby just days after her prom, killing it, burning the body and then burying it in the backyard of her home.

MORE: 4 local infant homicide cases

She is charged with aggravated murder, involuntary manslaughter, endangering children, tampering with evidence and abuse of a corpse.

“We may never be able to tell, in a vacuum through science, how the baby died due to the condition of the remains, unfortunately,” said Warren County Coroner Dr. Russell Uptegrove. “Other factors and evidence will have to be considered.”

Russell Simmons accused of rape by 3 more woman, but ‘vehemently’ denies it

Published: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 @ 11:10 PM

Music Mogul Russell Simmons speaks at an event on June 24, 2017 in Beverly Hills, California.  
Jerritt Clark
Music Mogul Russell Simmons speaks at an event on June 24, 2017 in Beverly Hills, California. (Jerritt Clark)

Music mogul and entrepreneur Russell Simmons is “vehemently” denying he raped at least three women dating back to the late 1980s.

>> Read more trending news

The three women have stepped forward, accusing Simmons, 60, of a “pattern of violent sexual behavior,” including rape, between the late 1980s and 2014, according to the New York Times.

The women all spoke on the record and allowed their names to be revealed.

The Times said it confirmed the allegations through friends and associates of the women at the time the incidents occurred.

The women said they decided to come forward and tell their stories after dozens of victims publicly detailed alleged sexual abuse they suffered at the hands of disgraced filmmaker Harvey Weinstein.

Simmons said the accusations are false.

“I vehemently deny all these allegations. These horrific accusations have shocked me to my core and all my relations have been consensual,” the Def Jam Records co-founder told the newspaper.

He also said he has “enormous respect for the women’s movement worldwide and their struggle for respect, dignity, equality and power.”

Simmons stepped down from his business empire last month after sexual misconduct allegations against him first surfaced. 

>> Related: Russell Simmons stepping down from companies after sexual assault allegation

At that time he also denied the allegations, but apologized.

“While I have never been violent, I have been thoughtless and insensitive in some of my relationships over many decades and I sincerely and humbly apologize,” he said.

Trotwood police investigating claim of a shooting at Shell station in Drexel

Published: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 @ 10:41 PM

Trotwood police are investigating a person's claim of being shot and wounded at the Shell station in the 6100 block of West Third Street in Drexel. 

According to Montgomery County Regional Dispatch, Miami Valley Hospital officials notified police about 8:50 p.m. that a person walked into the hospital claiming to have been shot. 

MORE LOCAL NEWS: Teacher accused in sex case seeks insanity plea

When the shooting is believed to have occurred is not certain and there is no information about the gender of the person. 

The vehicle the person was in has been seized at the hospital by police, according to regional dispatch. 

We are working to learn more about this incident. Stay with whio.com for breaking news. 

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com 

More than 400 DP&L, Duke customers reporting power outages; Winds to blame?

Published: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 @ 11:04 PM

@ 10:35 p.m., the online DP&L outage map shows:

Preble 141 

Montgomery 135 

Darke 57 

Miami 9 

Greene 2 

Warren 1 

The online Duke Energy map shows: 

Butler 817 (approximately 110 north and west of Middletown, in the area of Kalbfleisch Road. Another 11 east of the city are without power).

We will update this developing report.

Stay with whio.com for breaking news.

Man stuns fellow drivers by stripping naked, jumping on cars

Published: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 @ 6:11 PM

The main terminal at Washington Dulles International Airport (Photo by Mark Wilson/Getty Images)
Mark Wilson/Getty Images
The main terminal at Washington Dulles International Airport (Photo by Mark Wilson/Getty Images)(Mark Wilson/Getty Images)

Wild footage taken during a Tuesday afternoon Incident shows a naked man running down a highway and jumping onto vehicles after crashing his own truck — causing the road to close to traffic.

>> Read more trending news

Police responded to a call about an accident near Washington Dulles International Airport and a man possibly fleeing the scene without his clothes on. According to officers, one of the drivers involved in the crash got out of his car and assaulted the other driver. That’s when the suspect reportedly undressed and jumped onto a passing vehicle. After causing damage to the truck, he got off of it and ran away.

The video shows the man trying to climb into a dump truck. At one point, he jumps onto the back of a passing truck, clinging on as the driver attempts to drive away. Theo Garner watched the entire episode from the Herndon office building.

“Out of the corner of my eye, I see a ... half-naked guy cross eight lanes of traffic on 28. He then climbs up on the back of the dump truck that a pickup truck had slammed into the back of, disrobes and then proceeds to throw things on 28,” he said. “It’s not something you see every day. I’ve been working there for 17 years and I’ve never seen any shenanigans like that man. That was absolutely insane. But I’ll tell you it did brighten up a boring workday.”

The man was later located on Dulles property, arrested and taken to a nearby hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Police are reportedly still working to identify the suspect, and charges against him are pending.