breaking news


Dad walking in NYC with son allegedly attacked, slashed in face

Published: Friday, February 09, 2018 @ 3:48 AM

Dad Walking with Son in NYC Allegedly Slashed in Face

A man walking with his 2-year-old son in New York City said he was slashed in the face in an apparent random attack, WABC reported.

>> Read more trending news

The two were playing on the sidewalk in the Bronx when the man was attacked on Feb. 1.

“I'm worried most about my son,” the man, who requested anonymity, told WABC. “He's having nightmares, he wakes up at night and he's screaming ‘no, no, no.’”

The suspect, who was shown on surveillance cameras, approached the man from behind and allegedly slashed him in the face while uttering a racial slur.

Police described the suspect as a black male, about 18 years old, 5 feet, 10 inches tall and 180 pounds.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Meatball pizza bowl comes to Olive Garden’s lunch menu

Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 12:07 PM

Olive Garden has a new Meatball Pizza Bowl on its lunch menu.
Jeffery Patrick / Olive Garden
Olive Garden has a new Meatball Pizza Bowl on its lunch menu.(Jeffery Patrick / Olive Garden)

Olive Garden has added a pizza to its menu -- sort of.

Delish reported the Meatball Pizza Bowl is part of a new Lunch Duos menu, which offers an entree and unlimited soup or salad. The bowl, which is made of pizza dough, has similar toppings to the restaurant’s famous breadsticks. It has three cheeses -- Parmesan, mozzarella and Asiago, according to USA Today.

>> Read more trending news 

The price of the entree, which Thrillist reported is topped with 10 meatballs, starts at $6.99, although prices vary depending on the location.

The Meatball Pizza Bowl is available for lunch Monday through Friday before 3 p.m.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Marco Rubio faces a tough crowd during CNN's town hall for gun reform

Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 8:35 AM

WATCH: Senator Marco Rubio Speaks At CNN Town Hall For Gun Reform

During CNN’s Wednesday night town hall with Florida lawmakers, survivors of last week’s high school shooting and members of the NRA, Sen. Marco Rubio attempted to explain why a ban on assault rifles wouldn’t have prevented the tragedy, and the audience’s reaction was not quite what he was hoping for.

>> Read more trending news

While explaining what a ban on assault rifles would do, the Republican senator from Florida said to ensure no one would “get around it.”

“You would literally have to ban every semi-automatic rifle that’s sold in America.” A surprised Rubio, who appeared to have been hoping to convince the audience against such an idea, was met with a solid 10 seconds of applause that overwhelmed the room.

“Fair enough, fair enough,” the senator said as the cheers died down.

>> Related: Who are the top 10 recipients of NRA money?

The moment came just after a grieving father called Rubio’s reaction to the mass shooting “pathetically weak” and asked whether the senator would support banning assault rifles like Nikolas Cruz’s AR-15 in order to save the lives of children.

“It’s too easy to get. It is a weapon of war,” the father emotionally said. “The fact that you can’t stand with everybody else in this building and say that, I’m sorry.”

A flustered Rubio assured him, “I do believe what you’re saying is true,” before launching into his argument against an assault rifles ban.

>> Related: Alleged Florida high school shooter has $800,000 inheritance, reports say

CNN’s town hall follows last week’s shooting at Marjory Stonemason Douglas High School where gunman Nikolas Cruz fatally shot 17 people and injured over a dozen more. In the time since, many of the school’s surviving students have been commanding public attention and demanding a conversation about gun reform in the United States.

WATCH: Florida Sheriff Attends Town Hall For Gun Reform

Trending - Most Read Stories

Daylight saving time 2018: Seven things to know about ‘springing forward’

Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 11:00 AM

Spring Forward: Daylight Saving

You may want to store up some extra sleep in the next few weeks because you are about to lose an hour of it.

Come March 11 at 2 a.m. most of America will be “springing forward” as daylight saving time kicks in, giving us another hour of sunlight.

Here’s a look at seven things you may not have known about daylight saving time.

  1. “Spring forward and fall back” is an easy way to remember how to set the clock when daylight saving times begins and ends. You set your clock forward one hour at 2 a.m. on March 11. You’ll set it back one hour at 2 a.m. on Nov. 4.
  2. In the United States, daylight saving time began on March 21, 1918. U.S. government officials reasoned that fuel could be saved by reducing the need for lighting in the home.
  3. Ancient agrarian civilizations used a form of daylight saving time, adjusting their timekeeping depending on the sun’s activity.
  4. Many people call it daylight savings time. The official name is daylight saving time. No ‘s’ on ‘saving.’
  5. Benjamin Franklin came up with an idea to reset clocks in the summer months as a way to conserve energy.
  6. A standardized system of beginning and ending daylight saving time came in 1966 when the Uniform Time Act became law. While it was a federal act, states were granted the power to decide if they wanted to remain on standard time year-round.
  7. Arizona (except for the Navajo, who do observe daylight saving time on tribal lands), Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the United States Virgin Islands do not observe daylight saving time.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Father intentionally killed 5-year-old son, police say

Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 11:54 AM



WSBTV.com
(WSBTV.com)

A father is in custody after police say he intentionally killed his 5-year-old son at a DeKalb County, Georgia, home Wednesday night.

>> Read more trending news

It was not immediately clear what led to the homicide or how the boy was killed.

According to police, the child lived at a home on Rocky Pine Drive in Lithonia with his grandmother. His parents drove from California for an unannounced visit Wednesday, authorities said.

The boy’s mother and grandmother left the home, returned and “learned that the child had been murdered,” police spokeswoman Shiera Campbell told WSBTV.

Three other children were inside the home at the time of the killing, but were not injured, the news station reported. 

Police have not released the names of the father and child.

"Right now, the father is in custody,” Campbell said. “He is a 25-year-old male.” 

Authorities continued to investigate the incident Thursday.

Trending - Most Read Stories