Two men arrested in racial incident

Published: Sunday, April 28, 2013 @ 5:53 PM
Updated: Sunday, April 28, 2013 @ 5:53 PM

Two Dayton men are being held in the Montgomery County Jail after police said they allegedly yelled racial slurs and fired a weapon at residents of the 100 block of Milton Street.

Augustus Vanderpool, 54, and Brandon Freeland, 19, were arrested shortly before 1 a.m. Sunday during a traffic stop on St. Jude Avenue near Josie Street, according to a Dayton police incident report.

Both men are being held, pending the formal filing of felony charges of improperly handling a firearm and ethnic intimidation. Vanderpool is also being held on conspiracy and complicity charges. Freeland is also being held on tampering with evidence and improperly discharging a firearm in a motor vehicle.

Police became aware of the two men after they were called to Milton Street on a report of disorderly subjects. When the officers arrived, they were told by residents that a third man allegedly smashed in a mirror of a car parked the area. The residents also reported that Freeland was in the passenger seat of a gray pickup truck and allegedly displayed a firearm out of the truck’s window while yelling a racial slur and threatening to shoot up a house.

The residents then told police that they heard gunshots coming from the pickup right before it sped off.

The other man who smashed in the mirror also got into another vehicle and left the area. His whereabouts were unknown.

One of the residents also told police that Freeland and and the man who had allegedly smashed in the car mirror had also allegedly attacked him and his cousin the day before with a revolver and a pipe. The report said that the resident believed the alleged attack was racially motivated.

Freeland and Vanderpool were caught after the pickup truck was spotted heading towards a house on Josie Street. A police cruiser followed the truck to St. Jude Avenue and Josie Street, where it was stopped.

Police later found and seized a black 38 special revolver on a sidewalk on Sherman Street, which is a street that is in between Milton Street and St. Jude Avenue.

ICYMI: 4 retail, restaurant closings we learned about last week

Published: Sunday, February 26, 2017 @ 3:58 PM

Several national retail chains announced last week that some of their stores would be closing in 2017. Additionally, a well-known restaurant chain said some of its locations will be shutting down.

Here are details about the closings, and the impact that could be felt locally.

1. J.C. Penny closing up to 140 stores

National retail chain J.C. Penny announced Friday that it will be closing between 130 and 140 stores.

J.C. Penny has seven stores in the Dayton region, including stores at the Dayton and Fairfield Commons malls.

There has been no word on which — if any — Ohio stores would be closing in the coming months. A list is said to be released in March, according to a company statement.

RELATED: 5 things to know about J.C. Penney store closures

2. MC Sports declares bankruptcy

MC Sports, a Midwest-based sporting goods store, announced Thursday its plans to close all 68 of its stores across the region.

The company filed for bankruptcy in early February. The chain has a presence in 12 cities in Ohio, including stores in Piqua, Springfield and Wilmington.

The company was founded in 1946 in Michigan, and operates in seven states.

3. 4 local Christian gift stores set to close

Christian faith-based gift and book store chain Family Christian announced it’s closing all of its 240 stores nationwide, including four locations in the area.

The chain has 12 locations in Ohio including locations in Beavercreek, Miamisburg, Springdale and Mason.

Family Christian President Chuck Bengochea said poor sales contributed to the decision, after the company had two “very difficult” years after filing bankruptcy.

4. Under-performing Carrabba’s, Outback and others to close

Approximately 40 “under-performing” Carrabba’s Outback, Bonefish Grill and Flemings restaurants will close by the end of the year.

The company, Bloomin’ brands Inc., said it will close restaurants across the country but did not name which locations were at risk. Each restaurant has a local presence.

RELATED: 5 things to know about impact of Carrabba’s, Outback closings

• Carrabba’s Italian Grill has restaurants in Washington Twp., Mason, Troy, Columbus and Cincinnati.

• Outback Steakhouse has restaurants in Centerville, Cincinnati, Dayton, Kenwood, Mason, Columbus.

• Bonefish Grill has restaurants in Dayton, West Chester Twp., Columbus and Cincinnati

• Flemings has a location in Beavercreek at The Greene Town Center

The chain has more than 1,500 restaurant locations nationwide.

Steve Harvey reacts to epic Oscars gaffe

Published: Monday, February 27, 2017 @ 7:48 AM
Updated: Monday, February 27, 2017 @ 8:21 AM


            Steve Harvey reacts to epic Oscars gaffe

Get a feeling of deja-vu while watching Sunday's night's epic Oscars blunder? We're thinking TV personality Steve Harvey did, too.

>> Social media reacts to 'Moonlight,' 'La La Land' gaffe

At the end of the 89th annual Academy Awards ceremony Sunday, Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty mistakenly announced that "La La Land" had won best picture after they reportedly were given the wrong category envelope – a duplicate of actress Emma Stone's card for best actress. When "La La Land" producer Jordan Horowitz revealed that "Moonlight" was the real winner, host Jimmy Kimmel stepped in to lighten the mood.

>> 'Moonlight' wins Best Picture after 'La La Land' mistakenly announced

"Guys, this is very unfortunate, what happened," Kimmel joked. "Personally, I blame Steve Harvey for this."

>> Watch the moment here


Kimmel was referring to Harvey's infamous blunder at the 2015 Miss Universe pageant. Harvey incorrectly named Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez the winner, then later announced that he had meant to say Miss Philippines Pia Wurtzbach.

>> Complete list of winners

Harvey took to Twitter early Monday to weigh in on the Oscars mix-up.

>> PHOTOS: 2017 Oscars red carpet arrivals

"Good morning everybody! Went to sleep early last night. So... what I miss? #Oscars" he wrote, adding, "YOU KNOW I have something to say."

>> PHOTOS: 2017 Oscars show



Later on his radio show, Harvey compared the two embarrassing incidents, commending the Oscars producers for standing with Beatty.

>> Read more trending stories

"I alone walked the walk of shame down the runway, no flowers in my hand, no crown on my head – just a microphone and a look of 'oh, hell no,'" Harvey joked. "Warren Beatty had the same 'oh, hell no' look on his face."

He added, "I can get Warren through this. Call me, Warren Beatty."

Oscars 2017: Social media reacts to 'Moonlight,' 'La La Land' gaffe

Published: Monday, February 27, 2017 @ 1:56 AM
Updated: Monday, February 27, 2017 @ 1:56 AM


            Oscars 2017: Social media reacts to 'Moonlight,' 'La La Land' gaffe

Oops.

The 89th annual Academy Awards went out with a bang – an epic mixup over which film took the Oscar for best picture.

>> 'Moonlight' wins Best Picture after 'La La Land' mistakenly announced

>> Complete list of winners

>> PHOTOS: 2017 Oscars red carpet arrivals

>> PHOTOS: 2017 Oscars show

After Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty, who were apparently given the wrong winner's card, announced that "La La Land" had won the award, producer Jordan Horowitz made a shocking revelation onstage as the filmmakers were giving their thank-yous: "Moonlight" was the real victor.

Celebrities and fans immediately took to social media to share their reactions. 

>> Click here or scroll down to see what they had to say

Related

Navy sailor faces desertion charge after having baby

Published: Saturday, February 25, 2017 @ 10:58 PM
Updated: Saturday, February 25, 2017 @ 10:58 PM


            Navy sailor faces desertion charge after having baby

Ana Lucia Gnecco, a U.S. Navy sailor, has been jailed in Florida for allegedly deserting her post after giving birth to her daughter. She was arrested at her parents’ home Saturday and is on military hold in a Broward County jail.

Gnecco is a seaman quartermaster who welcomed her daughter into the world in August and was due back to her post in Portsmouth, Virginia, on Jan. 14. However, she never showed up to work.

>> Read more trending news

The arrest was the last resort,” Christina Johnson, a Navy public affairs officer for the medical center, said. “You’re going to want to try and work with the sailor to get them back because the consequences for desertion are serious. She was in contact with her command and the Navy’s arm that would bring her back to duty. All efforts were made to get her back to work, but she chose to stay there.”

The Navy considers any failure to return after 30 days to be desertion. Gnecco enlisted in 2014 and is on contract until 2019. Her father Armando Rodriguez is unsure of the reason why she didn’t return to work but assumes it revolves around her baby.

“The baby could be the reason, We could assume that having a baby might not go well with serving in the military,” he said. “I hope that she goes back up there and they have a hearing and she is released. There is no point in keeping her.”

Related