log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 @ 4:21 PM
— Interstate 71 will be closed to traffic again for demolition of the Jeremiah Morrow Bridge in Warren County.
I-71 will be closed between the Ohio 73 and Ohio 48 exits from 5 a.m. until 10 a.m. Sunday, April 30.
The interstate is being closed again to ensure motorists’ safety while the remaining southbound span of the old Jeremiah Morrow Bridge is imploded.
Last Sunday, four spans were to be imploded.
Two of the spans were successfully imploded, and a third span was demolished when explosive charges were set and detonated a second time.
RELATED: Bridge implosion misfires
On the final span, only half of the charges detonated on the first try.
“It was determined the only safe method to bring this remaining span down would require another implosion and mandate closing I-71 in the vicinity of the bridge,” according to a press release issued Tuesday by the Ohio Department of Transportation.
The detour for southbound I-71 is Ohio 73 to U.S. 42 to Ohio 48 to I-71; the detour for northbound I-71 is Ohio 48 to U.S. 42 to Ohio 73 to I-71.
During this detour, the ramps from Ohio 123 to northbound I-71 and from Wilmington Road to southbound I-71 also will be closed.
SOCIAL MEDIA:Follow Lawrence Budd on Twitter
Also, traffic on the Little Miami Scenic River and trail will not be permitted between Wilmington Road and Ohio 350 and north- and southbound rest areas will be closed.
Law enforcement and construction workers will be stationed at various access points to enforce the restrictions.
All work is weather permitting.
Published: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 @ 5:00 AM
HAMILTON — Hamilton has approved a one-year extension with a company that provides an automated photo program to monitor vehicles’ speed in the city. The city created the program in 2009.
Before the 7-0 vote last week to continue the program with Redflex Traffic Systems Inc., council members were told the program is different than many that have found themselves in legal trouble.
Unlike other programs, Hamilton’s uses either a manned vehicle that is clearly marked or hand-held devices operated by officers, which avoid issues of drivers not being able to face their accusers. In fact, when Ohio lawmakers in 2015 approved legislation for procedures to be used under such programs, several aspects were modeled after the city’s program, council was told.
Before the decision, Vice Mayor Michael Ryan asked how much the program would cost city government. He was told the program has no cost to the city. Rather, of the money generated by the program, 65 percent goes to the city, while 35 percent goes to Redflex.
The city can cancel the contract at any time with 10 days notice without financial penalties. The program generates about $100,000 per year, which goes into Hamilton’s general fund.
Hand-held devices also can be used in marked cruisers.
Mayor Pat Moeller said it’s especially important to use the program in school zones and other sensitive areas for speeding to get people to slow down there. He said he is confident the program has helped reduce fatalities on Ohio 129, where the program has slowed vehicles.
Public Safety Director Scott Scrimizzi said the thresholds used in the program are high: “It’s 10 miles an hour over (the speed limit) in a school zone. If you’re going 10 miles over (in a school zone), you deserve a ticket. It’s 14 miles an hour over in a 35-mph zone.”
He added: “We do not have enough officers right now. Speeding is our No. 1 complaint, I would think, without question, that we get from our citizens.”
It’s hard to refute the citation when you can go onto your computer and see it is your car, and you’re driving it, officials said.
Scrimizzi added that former Hamilton County Prosecutor Mike Allen, who is critical of such programs and spoke against them on WLW radio, accepted an invitation from the city to review Hamilton’s speed program and, “He said, ‘If everybody operated the program the way that you guys do, I would have no problem with it.’” Allen later went on WLW and expressed that view.
Resident Alfred Barron during a public hearing on the matter told council he thinks the program is good. In fact, he said he would like the program used in the areas of Knightsbridge Drive and Pershing Avenue, which he said sometimes can resemble “speedways” and where there have been several crashes in recent years.
When the under-construction South Hamilton Crossing is finished later this year, linking Ohio 4 with the area of Miami University Hamilton’s campus and the Vora technology park, that would be a good area for such enforcement, Barron added.
Police Chief Craig Bucheit agreed that speeding is probably the biggest complaint people express during neighborhood meetings and said, “This is just one of many tools we use to keep our streets safe.”
Published: Monday, February 12, 2018 @ 4:57 PM
LEBANON — A 17-year-old South Lebanon boy today admitted to two counts of vehicular assault in connection with the crash that sent four of his passengers to the hospital and triggered the extended closure of a road and bridge.
The Shawhan Road bridge was closed after the crash involving five teens on Jan. 5. It isn’t expected to reopen until warmer temperatures allow crews to complete the job, expected to take about a week, according to the Warren County Engineer’s Office.
The crash occurred when the 2012 Mazda M6 driven by the teen “went airborne, drove off the right side of the road, over corrected, drove off the left side of the road, drove through a guard rail, rolled and landed in a frozen creek bed,” according to the crash report.
It was the second time in recent years the bridge was closed due to a crash involving young drivers accused of hill-hopping.
Published: Sunday, February 04, 2018 @ 6:16 AM
— Light snow has been falling across the Miami Valley this morning and roads could be impacted throughout the day as one to two inches of fresh snow is forecast by the Storm Center 7 team of meteorologists.
Area law enforcement have reported slick road conditions in the area.
>> RELATED: WHIO App-Winter
Traffic conditions are updated every six minutes on AM 1290 and News 95.7 FM.
Major Highway Incidents
Surface Street Incidents
Traffic issues can be reported by calling our newsroom at 937-259-2237 or tweeting @WHIOTraffic .
Ongoing Construction & Other Closures
Latest traffic conditions are also available on our traffic map.
Published: Thursday, December 28, 2017 @ 9:54 AM
Updated: Thursday, December 28, 2017 @ 12:05 PM
HARLAN TWP. — A man driving a truck, reportedly without the owner’s permission, was killed early Thursday in a single-vehicle crash on Ohio 132 in Harlan Twp., Warren County, according to investigators.
The crash occurred around 5:20 a.m. when a maroon 2000 Dodge Dakota pickup truck, operated by Abijah Nelson Chasteen Jr., 52, of Warren County, drove off the right side of the road and crashed into two large trees in the 6000 block of Ohi0 132, according to reports from the Warren County Coroner’s Office and Ohio State Highway Patrol.
RELATED: Initial story on this crash
Chasteen reportedly had been followed earlier by a friend of the vehicle’s owner and was not wearing a seat belt when the crash occurred, according to investigators.
Chasteen lived near the crash site on Ohio 132 in Morrow, but he was carrying a license indicating he lived in South Lebanon, according to Doyle Burke, chief investigator for the coroner’s office.
Chasteen was pronounced dead at the scene at 6:02 a.m., according to the coroner.
The truck was reportedly taken from Clinton County on Wednesday, Lt. Chuck O’Bryon of the Ohio State Highway Patrol said. The owner reported Chasteen was driving it without permission, O’Bryon added.
Troopers believe Chasteen knew the owner of the vehicle and are investigating the case as an unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, O’Bryon said.
Burke said he was told a friend of the vehicle’s owner spotted Chasteen driving the truck and followed him. The friend said he had been separated from Chasteen when he came upon the crash, Burke added.
Chasteen’s body was taken to the Montgomery County Coroner’s office for a full autopsy. The autopsy showed he died of multiple blunt force trauma, according to Burke.
The crash remains under investigation by the Lebanon Post of the highway patrol.