This drag racer wants to teach Butler County teens about safe driving

Published: Friday, October 06, 2017 @ 7:00 AM


            Doug Herbert’s two sons died in a car accident in 2008. The champion drag racer launched the BRAKES program after their deaths to teach safer driving to teens. CONTRIBUTED
            Contributed
Doug Herbert’s two sons died in a car accident in 2008. The champion drag racer launched the BRAKES program after their deaths to teach safer driving to teens. CONTRIBUTED(Contributed)

Drag racing champion Doug Herbert has cruised past 300 mph on the track and has received accolades for his prowess as a driver. But none of that prepared him for the call he received telling him that his two sons had been killed in an auto accident involving a high rate of speed.

Car crashes remain a leading cause of death for teens. In 2016, more than 49,100 teens ages 15-19 experienced crashes in Ohio, resulting in nearly 14,000 injuries and 127 teen deaths, according to the Ohio Department of Public Safety.

MORE: Distracted driving equals disaster on the road

For Herbert, 49, those stats were a reality in January 2008 when his two sons — Jon, 17, and James, 12 — died instantly around 10 a.m. on a four-lane road in Cornelius, N.C.

According to police reports, Jon was driving at a high rate of speed and tried to pass another vehicle but then lost control of his car and was struck by a Hummer.

“I didn’t know when my boys were in the crash that car crashes are the number one thing that kills teenagers,” Herbert told the Journal-News.

Following the tragedy, he wanted to do something to help others from experiencing his horror and started BRAKES — “Be Responsible and Keep Everyone Safe” — which has evolved into a large non-profit charity that teaches safe driving skills to teens around the country.

“The initial goal was to teach my sons’ friends about being safer and more responsible drivers,” Herbert said. “Over the last nine years we have taught over 30,000 teenagers from 43 states around the country.”

BRAKES will makes its first ever stop in Butler County this month.

MORE: AAA car safety check program comes to Hamilton High School

“We are excited to bring the program to the area and we hope to make it an annual thing,” Herbert said. “What we are not is driver’s education. We require teenagers to actually have a learner’s permit or a valid driver’s license and at least 30 hours of behind-the-wheel driving experience before they come to our class because what we are going to teach them is life-saving skills. Skills that will likely keep them out of an accident.”

He added, “we are going to teach them to deal with emergency situations that they will likely run into on the road at one point or another. Instead of panicking and not knowing what to do, we are going to teach them how to deal with that.”

BRAKES has received numerous federal safety grants and corporate sponsorships from companies like KIA, who is providing vehicles for the event, according to Herbert.

MORE: Which cars are most distracting? AAA study reveals offenders

Parents can also participate and receive some up-to-date training behind the wheel.

“The teens and their parents learning together is a good thing,” Herbert said.

But for Herbert, the bottom line is to make sure that safe, effective driving skill are taught to teen so that their parents don’t ever have to experience what he went through.

“I want to make sure parents don’t get the phone call that I got saying your kids aren’t coming home,” Herbert said.

HOW TO GO

WHAT: The national teen defensive driving program B.R.A.K.E.S. (Be Responsible and Keep Everyone Safe)

WHEN: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Oct. 21 and 22

WHERE: Manheim Auto Auction, 4939 Muhlhauser Road, West Chester Twp.

COST: Free, but registration is required. Register online at www.putonthebrakes.org

Trending - Most Read Stories

Dog, suspect unharmed after brief standoff with Dayton police

Published: Sunday, February 18, 2018 @ 1:04 PM

East Dayton Standoff

Update@1:25 p.m.:

Police officers were initially sent to scene Saturday night for on domestic violence-related incident call, and the suspect wasn't home. But once he returned home Sunday afternoon, neighbors called police, and officers returned to the scene, said Sgt. Kyle B. Thomas of the Dayton Police Department.

When officers arrived, the unidentified suspect refused to come out and was concerned about the safety of his dog. So officers asked him to secure the dog in the house so it wouldn’t get injured, Thomas said. 

The dog’s breed and name were not released.

Officers then continued negotiating with the suspect and he subsequently came out of the house, and was taken in to custody. 

SWAT was not called to the scene. But the K9 unit as well as the Montgomery County Animal Resource Center were there make sure the dog’s well taken care of while the investigation takes place, Thomas said. 

There were not injuries to the dog, suspect or officers, Thomas, said, thanking the community for getting involved. 

“The community stepped up,” he said. “They were aware that we were looking for this guy and they made some calls and let us know where we could find him. Without their help we wouldn’t have him in custody right now.” 

It is unclear if the suspect has been charged. We will bring you the information as soon as charges as well as the 

First report:

We are hearing reports of a possible police standoff at an apartment complex located at Superba Court and North Irwin Street in Dayton. 

Multiple callers to our newsroom said there are several officers in the area, and they are using a loudspeaker to get someone to come out of a building. Although a police dispatch sergeant acknowledged that officers were called to the area, he couldn’t confirm that there is a standoff. 

We have sent a photographer to the scene, and we will bring you the latest information as it becomes available. 

Florida sheriff to politicians who don't support gun control: 'You will not get re-elected'

Published: Sunday, February 18, 2018 @ 10:03 AM

WATCH: Florida Teacher Speaks Out About High School Shooting

Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel blasted politicians after a gunman killed 17 people at a Parkland, Florida, high school, saying that if gun laws don’t change, “you will not get re-elected in Broward County.”

>> WATCH: Florida school shooting survivor Emma Gonzalez slams politicians, NRA in emotional speech

According to the Huffington Post, while speaking at a vigil in Parkland for the victims of the shooting, Israel said, “If you’re an elected official, and you want to keep things the way they are ― if you want to keep gun laws as they are now ― you will not get re-elected in Broward County.”

>> Click here to watch

The vigil was attended by thousands at an amphitheater that was lit by candles and had 17 4-foot angels – one for each of the victims who was killed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

>> On Rare.us: 'Thoughts and prayers' check raises eyebrows on social media after the Florida shooting

Last week, Israel called on lawmakers to allow law enforcement officers to involuntarily detain people who post questionable and disturbing content on social media.

“We need to have the power to take that person and bring them before mental health professionals at that particular time, involuntarily, and have them examined,” he saidthe Huffington Post reported. “People are going to be rightfully concerned about their rights ― as am I. But what about these students? What about the rights of young kids who go to schools?”

>> PHOTOS: Remembering Parkland, Florida, school shooting victims

He added that he wishes law enforcement officials could act “if they see something on social media, if they see graphic pictures of rifles and blood and gore and guns and bombs, if they see something, horrific language, if they see a person talking about ‘I want to grow up to be a serial killer.’”

Democrats in Congress are already calling for gun control while Republicans are saying that it’s too soon to talk about it.

>> Classmate of Nikolas Cruz: ‘No one has ever been a friend to him’

Speaker of the House Paul Ryan said during a press conference Thursday that we need to think less about fighting “each other politically” in the wake of the shooting.

“This is one of those moments where we just need to step back and count our blessings,” he said Thursday at a news conference, according to CNN. “We need to think less about taking sides and fighting each other politically, and just pulling together. This House, and the whole country, stands with the Parkland community.”

>> Florida school shooting timeline: Seven minutes, three floors and 17 dead

Sen. Bob Casey, D-Pa., tweeted that Congress should vote on measures to implement “universal background checks, a ban on military-style weapons and a prohibition of those on the terror watchlist from purchasing firearms.”

>> Read more trending news 

Florida Sen. Bill Nelson, a Democrat, said Congress will have “another round” of this debate, but admitted that it’s hard to get any sort of gun legislation passed.

Kasich bashes Congress, urges it to consider ‘common sense gun laws’

Published: Sunday, February 18, 2018 @ 11:04 AM

On State of the Union, Gov. John Kasich discusses the recent shooting in Parkland, Fla. and what Congress must do in the wake of it.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich, who signed laws making it legal to carry concealed weapons at day-care facilities and college campuses, said he has “no confidence” Congress will approve what he called “common sense gun laws” in the wake of a mass shooting last week at a Florida high school.

During an interview Sunday on CNN’s State-of-the-Union, Kasich, who earned the endorsement of the National Rifle Association during his 2014 re-election campaign, indicated he would support “reasonable things,” such as full background checks for people buying guns and banning what are known as bump stocks, which allow a semi-automatic weapon to fire like an automatic weapon.

“You’re never going to fix all of this,” Kasich said. “But common sense gun laws make sense.”

3 INVESTIGATIONS YOU MAY HAVE MISSED

WSU lawsuit could hinge on ‘handshake’ agreement

Cop killings up so far in 2018; Westerville officers mourned

No cover-up of pepper-spray incident, sheriff’s investigation finds

In a major reversal, Kasich suggested he might support a ban on an the sale of AR-15 semi-automatic weapons like the one used in the Florida attack. Kasich said “if all of a sudden you couldn’t buy an AR-15, what would you lose? Would you feel as though your Second Amendment rights would be eroded because you couldn’t buy a God-darned AR-15?”

(Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)(Washington Bureau)

“These are the things that have to be looked at and action has to happen,” Kasich said.

In 1994 as a member of Congress, Kasich voted to ban the production and sale of 19 semi-automatic assault weapons. But when he ran for president in 2016, Kasich called the ban “superfluous and we don’t need laws that are superfluous. It didn’t have any impact.”

The ban on the sale of semi-automatic weapons expired in 2004 when Congress failed to renew it.

Kasich said he has formed a committee “on both sides of the issue” in Ohio to “look at everything” about improving gun safety. Neither Kasich nor his aides have said who is on the committee, but he said he was “hopeful” they would produce recommendation.

(Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)(Washington Bureau)

“If they don’t produce anything, I’ll put my own stuff out,” Kasich said.

David Pepper, chairman of the Ohio Democratic Party, said he was “glad” Kasich is on national TV and “speaking out” on guns.

“Hopefully he’s got some ability to work with the statehouse to find solutions and roll back some of the worst pieces of legislation they pushed through in the last seven years,” Pepper said.

Trending - Most Read Stories

2 kids dressed as 'tall man' unable to gain admission to 'Black Panther'

Published: Sunday, February 18, 2018 @ 12:52 PM

This image released by Disney and Marvel Studios' shows Chadwick Boseman in a scene from
This image released by Disney and Marvel Studios' shows Chadwick Boseman in a scene from "Black Panther."(Marvel Studios/Disney via AP)

Two kids decided they wanted to go to the new Marvel superhero film “Black Panther,” but they didn’t want to pay for two movie tickets. So, they tried to dupe the movie theater’s manager.

>> Read more trending news

The duo went to the theater disguised as one “tall man” under a trench coat, but unsurprisingly, their plan didn’t work. However, despite their unsuccessful attempt to save on movie tickets, they have gone viral on Twitter thanks to their hilarious antics.

A Twitter user going by the name of Pillsbury tweeted a video of the charade, captioning it, “We tried getting the two-for-one special at ‘Black Panther.’ The manager was not having it.”