Teen charged in double fatal crash, victims ID’d

Published: Friday, June 28, 2013 @ 3:05 PM
Updated: Saturday, June 29, 2013 @ 8:34 AM

A 19-year-old is facing charges for causing a double fatal crash today in Middletown.

A Camden man is dead and his female passenger, also from the Preble County village, succumbed to her injuries after being flown by CareFlight to Miami Valley Hospital, according to a release from the Middletown Division of Police.

The Montgomery County Coroner’s Office identified the victims of the crash as Glenn Pugh, 69, and his wife Elaine Pugh,64. Lt. John Magill said the Camden residents had just left the Kroger store before the crash.

Alex Powers, 19, is charged with two counts of aggravated vehicular homicide and operating a vehicle while intoxicated, according to the release.

The four-vehicle crash at Towne Boulevard and Pendleton Circle happened about 2 p.m. A Warren County Coroner’s investigator was called to the scene within minutes.

Magill said officers received information about a silver Honda driving recklessly in the city just prior to the deadly crash. They were investigating that report a couple miles away when the crash occurred.

The silver Honda, carrying three people aged 19, 18 and 16, hit a green Pontiac Grand Am occupied by the two people from Camden, Magill said. Two other vehicles were also hit.

Police said Powers fled from the scene and reappeared about 60 minutes later with his father.

Police said Powers failed to yield at a red light. All three teens were taken into custody or were questioned by detectives.

Hamilton police nab suspect accused of stealing Fairfield Twp. cruiser

Published: Sunday, February 26, 2017 @ 1:10 PM
Updated: Sunday, February 26, 2017 @ 8:47 PM


            Hamilton police nab suspect accused of stealing Fairfield Twp. cruiser

A man who police say took televisions from a store, then stole a Fairfield Twp. police cruiser and fled to Hamilton before ditching the car and robbing a man on the street has been arrested.

Hamilton police reported on its Twitter account Sunday that 37-year-old Kevin Gabbard had been arrested.

The suspect was spotted by citizens in the parking lot of the Bridgewater Falls Target store at about 4:30 p.m. Saturday loading stolen televisions into a white van, according to Fairfield Twp. police.

Officer Roger Gilbert was on patrol on Ohio 4 when he saw a vehicle matching the description of the van, said Fairfield Police Chief Matt Fruchey. When Gilbert stopped the van at Fairway Drive near Waldon Ponds, driver Shauna Maria Maco remained in the vehicle, but the passenger, Gabbard, fled.

The officer gave chase around a house and Gabbard doubled back, jumped in the cruiser and took off, according to police.

Gabbard drove the cruiser to Hamilton where he ditched it on Central Avenue near Hanover Street and robbed a person outside a barber shop, Fruchey said.

Maco, 46, of Hamilton, was charged with complicity to theft, and is housed in the Butler County Jail.

Fruchey said the cruiser was not damaged and the incident remains under investigation. The stolen televisions were found in the van.

Butler County Sheriff Richard K. Jones also made note of the arrest, with his tweet: “Good job Hamilton PD.”

Driver who crashed into New Orleans parade crowd identified

Published: Saturday, February 25, 2017 @ 8:43 PM
Updated: Sunday, February 26, 2017 @ 8:15 PM


            Driver who crashed into New Orleans parade crowd identified

Police identified the driver who crashed through a parade crowd in New Orleans. 

Neilson Rizzuto, 25, was arrested and charged with first degree negligent vehicular injuring, hit-and-run driving causing serious injury and reckless operation of a vehicle, New Orleans Police said in a statement Sunday.

>> Read more trending news

Rizzuto careened through a crowd during a parade Saturday on one of the busiest nights of the Mardi Gras season, injuring at least 28 people, police say. There were no fatalities.

A breath alcohol test determined that Rizzuto's alcohol level was three times the legal limit.

Rizzuto drove a gray truck through the Krewe of Endymion parade around 6:45 p.m., according to The Advocate.

"Initial reports show so far about a dozen people are in critical condition," police spokeswoman Ambria Washington told The Times-Picayune. "That number could increase as the investigation is ongoing."

Twenty-one people were hospitalized, five in critical condition. Seven other people declined treatment.

The crash comes during the final weekend of Carnival at one of the city's largest parades.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Centerville boy with visual impairments goes viral for music talent

Published: Friday, February 24, 2017 @ 1:57 PM

A Centerville boy with visual impairments is getting national attention after his mother shared a video of him playing Adele songs and pleading to meet the Grammy-award winning musician.

Avett Maness, 4, was born with underdeveloped optic nerves, which means he relies entirely upon hearing and touch when he plays music, according to his mother Sara Moore.

In addition to his musical talents, Maness uses a Braille typewriter and sometimes uses a cane to walk.

However, when he gets behind a piano, or holds a child-size guitar in his arms, there’s nothing holding him back.

Trump pick for Navy Secretary withdraws nomination

Published: Sunday, February 26, 2017 @ 7:32 PM
Updated: Sunday, February 26, 2017 @ 7:35 PM

For the second time in recent weeks, a choice for a top Pentagon leadership job by President Donald Trump has withdrawn, as Philip Bilden on Sunday evening gave up his nomination for Secretary of the Navy, unable to get around financial ethics restrictions related to his own personal investments.

“This was a personal decision driven by privacy concerns and significant challenges he faced in separating himself from his business interests,” said Defense Secretary James Mattis in a statement issued by the Pentagon.

Bilden’s decision to drop out mirrored that of Mr. Trump’s original choice for Army Secretary, Vincent Viola, who gave up his nomination because of difficulties unwinding his own personal financial holdings, and how they might ethically impact his post at the Pentagon

“I have determined that I will not be able to satisfy the Office of Government Ethics requirements without undue disruption and materially adverse divestment of my family’s private financial interests,” Bilden said in a written statement.

Last weekend, the White House sternly rejeted reports from several news organizations that Bilden was going to withdraw from consideration for the job of Navy Secretary.

In reacting to those reports on February 18, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer said that talk “would be wrong.”

Trump’s pick for Secretary of the Air Force remains on track; ex-Rep. Heather Wilson (R-NM) was chosen for that position.

But now, the President will need to make a second choice for both Army and Navy Secretary.