Student threats disrupt school routines

Published: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 @ 9:21 PM
Updated: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 @ 9:21 PM

School shootings have forced area districts to heighten the attention they give to any threats of violence by students.

Tipp City Schools brought in an FBI agent and a local police detective Wednesday night to speak to concerned parents about multiple threats of violence made at two of the district’s schools in the last week.

Authorities said the fake threats take students out of valuable classroom time, are costly and force law enforcement off the streets. The bomb squad from Wright-Patterson Air Force Base was called twice to the Tipp City threats.

Responses such as these have been employed by local school districts for years, while others have been folded into districts’ protocols as threats and acts of violence have occurred across the country.

“We have taken more precautions than we ever have, but are we safer? I’m not sure,” said Keith St. Pierre, Bellbrook-Sugarcreek superintendent.

Local school districts — including Urbana, Xenia, Springboro, Troy, Bellbrook-Sugarcreek, Springfield, Huber Heights and Edgewood — have dealt with threats of school violence in the last year.

“People are absolutely concerned because Sandy Hook just happened, and before that there was Columbine and Chardon,” Tipp City Superintendent John Kronour said. “The media has a role in this. The more coverage there is, the more it gets our school in the news and kids know that.”

St. Pierre said communication in general has contributed to the spread of the breeding of these threats.

“There’s more attention (on school violence) because there are more ways to communicate, such as Facebook, Twitter, email, (etc.),” St. Pierre said. “And sometimes once (these threats) start, it’s hard to get it stopped. You stop it by catching these kids.”

In Tipp City on Wednesday, police arrested a middle school and high school student in connection with threats made at those schools in the last week.

The 14- and 15-year-old boys reportedly know each other, but it was unclear whether the threats were done individually. Both have been taken to the West Central Juvenile Detention Center, according to Tipp City Sgt. Detective Chris Graham.

Graham told parents Wednesday night that five notes were written and police believe the two students arrested wrote two of them. Kronour said they will continue to investigate who wrote the other three notes.

“We will continue through a heighten sense of security until we have everyone caught, but we’ll probably will never go back to the way it was. I don’t think you can,” said Kronour, adding police will continue to be present in the schools.

FBI Special Agent Tim Ferguson answered questions about dealing with threats such as these and commended the local police action.

“I think districts are being more vigilant,” Ferguson said. “The vast majority of these are school pranks and kids think it will get them out of school, but (officials) have to take them seriously.”

Troy Superintendent Eric Herman, who was dealing with two separate threats made this week at Troy High and Troy Junior High schools, said schools have to follow up on every threat until it is resolved. One student was arrested Wednesday afternoon, according to police.

“We’ve changed our security, tightened everything down even more, added more supervision,” Herman said. “When we get this type of threat, we just investigate it as fast as we can.”

Ferguson said contacting police immediately is the best route for any district. He added that getting the school resource officer and advisers together for a meeting to examine the evidence and assist police also is of great value.

Some parents at the Tipp City meeting said their children were scared and suggested the school provide some kind of counseling for students who need it.

“My son told me he didn’t want to die in school,” one woman said.

Kronour said he thinks threats of school violence such as these run in cycles, and have for many years.

“Back when I worked in Brookville (Local Schools) in the late ’80s, we had a number of bomb threats and we brought in the bomb squad,” Kronour said. “We took the threats as credible, but I don’t know if we put as much time and energy in then.

“It’s a difficult situation, but we don’t want to undue everything we have done in the district. We don’t want to live in fear.”

Embracing bodies found in national park believed to be missing hikers

Published: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 @ 3:09 AM

This combo made from undated photos provided by the National Park Service show Rachel Nguyen, left, and Joseph Orbeso, as they seek the public's help in locating them. The father of Orbeso, a missing California man, says he believes the bodies of his son and his son's girlfriend, Nguyen, have been found in Joshua Tree National Park, Calif., near the area where the couple vanished while hiking nearly three months ago. Officials have not yet confirmed the identities of the bodies discovered Sunday in the desert park. (National Park Service via AP)
AP
This combo made from undated photos provided by the National Park Service show Rachel Nguyen, left, and Joseph Orbeso, as they seek the public's help in locating them. The father of Orbeso, a missing California man, says he believes the bodies of his son and his son's girlfriend, Nguyen, have been found in Joshua Tree National Park, Calif., near the area where the couple vanished while hiking nearly three months ago. Officials have not yet confirmed the identities of the bodies discovered Sunday in the desert park. (National Park Service via AP)(AP)

Search and rescue efforts in California's Joshua Tree National Park led to the discovery of two bodies embracing one another. They are believed to be Joseph Orbeso, 21, and Rachel Nguyen, 20.

>> Watch the news report here

According to KESQ and KABC, the couple was last heard from in late July, and search teams later located their car near the beginning of one of the park’s trails. Their last known contact was a cellphone ping in the area, and their belongings were found still inside the Airbnb they were renting, as they never checked out.

>> On Rare.us: Watch the amazing moment hikers lost in the wilderness are found by a drone hovering high above the trees

Orbeso’s father, Gilbert, and a group of search and rescue workers launched a months-long search for the hikers, making a huge breakthrough on Sunday as they scaled 30-foot cliffs and covered new ground. Clothing, food wrappers and water bottles led them to the bodies, which were picked up by a helicopter and sent to a coroner’s office to confirm the identities. Orbeso’s father, however, is certain that the remains belong to his son and his son’s girlfriend.

>> Read more trending news

“A sense of relief that we have found them after going a long time on these hikes. I feel like we have closure. We know we found them. That was our main goal, to find them. And I’m glad we did that,” he said, according to KESQ.

"Hope they can rest in peace now," he added, KABC reported.

Official identification of the remains is pending and will follow completed autopsies.

Related

Police identify at-fault driver in I-675 wrong-way crash that kills 2

Published: Monday, October 16, 2017 @ 9:55 PM
Updated: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 @ 11:22 AM

DIGITAL 911

Two people were killed and two people were injured in a three-vehicle, wrong-way driver accident on I-675 South in Centerville Monday evening.

  • 2 deceased identified as Melvin Bonie, 69, and Kalip Grimm, 18
  • Police say Bonie was the wrong-way driver
  • A third victim, taken to a hospital, was reported to be alert, fourth victim suffered minor injuries
  • Southbound I-675 reopened around 3 a.m.

OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Clark County teen killed in crash remembered at vigil

UPDATE @ 11:22 a.m. (Oct. 17)

Centerville police say Melvin Bonie, 69, was driving the wrong way on Interstate 675 South when the crashes occurred.

EARLIER REPORT

The wrong-way driver was north on southbound I-675 at Far Hills Avenue, glanced off one vehicle and hit a second vehicle head on, Centerville Police Officer John Davis said. 

Melvin Bonie, 69, and Kalip Grimm, 18, were killed in the crash, according to the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office.

The  driver of the offending vehicle is one of the fatalities, police said.

RELATED: Wrong-way driver detection: Could new system save lives here? 

Around 9:20 p.m. Monday, the first calls about the wrong-way driver began coming into police dispatch, police said. 

>> I-75 fiery crash: What we know about wrong-way driver killed 

The second victim was in one of the southbound vehicles, he said. A third victim taken to a hospital was alert. A fourth victim suffered minor injuries, Davis said.

Police are speaking with that fourth victim for a witness statement. 

It's too early to speculate whether alcohol or drugs played a role in the accident. 

A Montgomery County coroner's investigator was on scene and a Centerville Police Department traffic accident reconstruction team was on scene for most of the night.

Southbound lanes were shut down during the investigation and were reopened around 3 a.m.

I 675 crash Video
GOT A TIP? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Leah Remini’s arrival on 'Kevin Can Wait' leaves fans cold

Published: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 @ 11:11 PM

Leah Remini Reunites With Kevin James On Screen

Fans tuned into the season 2 premiere of “Kevin Can Wait” on Monday night knowing that Kevin James’ former TV wife Leah Remini would be joining the show, but it looks like James’ and Remini’s reunion didn’t go over well with some.

>> Read more trending news 

In June, CBS President Kelly Kahl said killing off Erinn Hayes character Donna Gable would be “treated with dignity and respect, something that will have taken place in the past.” Instead, viewers received no explanation of her demise and learned she passed nearly a year earlier in the first episode.

Fans were quick to turn to Twitter to express their outrage.

Trump presses tax reform as Senate begins debate on GOP budget outline

Published: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 @ 2:08 AM

President Donald Trump urged conservative activists on Tuesday night to help lobby Senators in favor of a GOP tax reform package, as despite some infighting, Republicans seemed like they would be able to approve a budget outline this week in the Senate, a plan which would allow for future legislative action on a tax bill – without the threat of a Senate filibuster.

“Let’s give our country the best Christmas present of all – massive tax relief,” the President said in a speech at the Heritage Foundation, where his vow of big tax cuts drew large cheers from the audience.

“This is our once-in-a-generation opportunity to revive our economy,” Mr. Trump added, though he acknowledged that he doesn’t expect much support from Democrats in the Congress.

Before any tax bill can be brought up on the floor of the House and Senate, both chambers must approve a budget outline for 2018, which authorizes the use of the ‘budget reconciliation’ process for tax reform – helping the GOP to avoid a Senate filibuster. That was the same legislative tool used in a failed bid to overhaul the Obama health law.

In an important sign for the White House, Sen. Thad Cochran (R-MS) – who had been absent for weeks with an illness, returned to Capitol Hill on Tuesday – and then, GOP leaders won the support of another key Republican Senator, who has tangled repeatedly with the President.

“I support the Senate budget resolution because it provides a path forward on tax reform,” said Sen. John McCain (R-AZ), who still wants GOP leaders to add more money to the budget outline for military needs.

Still not ready to commit to the budget or tax plans was Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), who lobbed a series of pointed jabs at both McCain, and Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC), accusing them of trying to use budget gimmicks to funnel more money to the Pentagon, instead of finding ways to restrain spending.

In a first test vote, the Senate voted 50-47 in favor of beginning debate on the budget framework for 2018, which would balance the budget by 2026. A House budget outline would achieve that a year later.

No Democrats joined with Republicans to begin the Senate debate, as right now, the White House faces a difficult task in getting any Democratic lawmakers to endorse the President’s budget or tax plans.

“It’s going to be hard to get the Democrats, because they’re obstructionists, and they vote in blocks,” the President said in his Tuesday night speech.

If no Democrats cross party lines on taxes, that makes it all the more important for the GOP to stick together in the Senate, or the GOP could face the same outcome as on health care reform.

No legislative language for a tax reform plan has been released as yet by the GOP. Lawmakers don’t expect to see all the details until next month.