breaking news

Storm knocks out power to thousands, damages neighborhood

Published: Saturday, September 08, 2012 @ 4:05 PM
Updated: Saturday, September 08, 2012 @ 4:05 PM

KETTERING — A storm that tore through the region Friday night and early Saturday left hundreds of customers without power and ripped through a Kettering neighborhood, where trees were torn from their roots and several homes were damaged.

At its height, the storm knocked out power to as many as 580 residents in Preble County. According to DP&L, about 150 customers in Montgomery County also lost power, along with more than 50 in Greene County. In all, as many as 5,000 customers were impacted by the storm, according to Kevin Hall, a DP&L spokesman.

Most customers lost power due to blown fuses from lightning, but some transformers were also damaged, Hall said. Power had been restored to all but about 100 customers by Saturday afternoon.

But one Kettering neighborhood may take longer to recover.

Sue Clagg, a Kettering resident whose was home when the storm struck, said it was like something from a movie.

“It looked like branches were swirling out of the air,” she said. “I immediately thought of ‘The Wizard of Oz.”

The storm struck particularly hard in an area that included Eureka Drive, Circle View Drive and Dexter Avenue, just off Wilmington Pike.

Ronald Bradford, who lives in the 1100 block of Dexter, was sleeping on his couch when a tree from across the street was torn from its roots, collapsing the roof of his 2000 Chevy Blazer. The storm sounded like a bomb going off, he said.

“We heard the alarm go off on the truck and I’m thinking, ‘Where’s the truck at?’” Bradford said. “Here it was under the tree.”

The storm blew the a rocking chair off Marissa Andrews’ deck, destroyed her potted plants and left debris scattered throughout her yard.

“It shredded all my flowers and broke all my pots,” said Andrews, who lives in the 1200 block of Eureka.

Two tall pines trees toppled onto the deck and rested on top of two vehicles in front of a home on Hampton Road. Nancy Miro, who lives there with her family, said she was thankful no one was injured.

“It sounded like a train or a jet engine coming up along the side of the house,” Miro said.

Another Orca dies at SeaWorld

Published: Thursday, August 17, 2017 @ 6:09 PM

SeaWorld Loses Another Orca

It’s been a sad year for SeaWorld, having lost two orcas already.

>> Read more trending news 

Unfortunately, things just got more tragic with news that the matriarch of its killer whale family has died. Officials at the park in San Diego confirmed that Kasatka, a 41-year-old orca, died “surrounded by members of her pod, as well as the veterinarians and caretakers who loved her.”

>> RELATED: SeaWorld’s baby orca, the last to be born in captivity, has died

Caretakers decided to euthanize her after her quality of life had been compromised. The whale had a long history of lung disease.

“I have spent the past several years with Kasatka and was truly blessed to be part of her life,” orca behaviorist Kristi Burtis said.

“Although I am heartbroken,” she added, “I am grateful for the special time we had together and for the difference she has made for wild orcas by all that we have learned from her. I adored Kasatka and loved sharing her with millions of people. I will miss her very much.”

>> RELATED: Famed orca whale Tilikum of SeaWorld has died

Earlier this summer, Kyara, a 3-month-old orca that was the last born in captivity, died, which came on the heels of SeaWorld San Antonio losing Tilikum, the notorious whale that had killed a SeaWorld trainer, back in January.

‘Twin Peaks’ actor arrested, accused of beating woman with baseball bat

Published: Friday, August 18, 2017 @ 10:08 AM

Twin Peaks returned to the television Sunday night after a 26-year absence, and broke Showtime subscription records. "In the world that we live in now, offering original programming that attracts new subscribers is our primary business objective,”

An actor who appeared in an episode of “Twin Peaks: The Return” has been arrested on a charge of attempted second degree murder after allegedly beating a woman with a baseball bat.

According to a press release from the Spokane, Washington, police department, officers responded to a call from a local business around 5:40 p.m. Wednesday for an alleged assault. The call said a man, identified as actor Jeremy Lindholm — he appeared in one scene of the limited series’ Part 6 episode as Mickey  — was assaulting a woman with a baseball bat. When officers arrived at the scene, Lindholm was fleeing out the back of the business with the bat in hand. He “quickly gave up” when officers confronted him in the alley, according to the release, and was then taken into custody.

Surveillance video caught footage of the incident from inside the business and captured the “extremely violent assault perpetrated by Lindholm,” according to the release.

Jeremy Lindholm

Upon interviewing both the victim and witnesses at the scene of the crime, police learned the incident was “domestic violence related.” 

After watching the footage, officers believed that the victim was in danger. “There was information suggesting the intent of (Lindholm) was to kill the victim,” according to the release.

Officers booked Lindholm, 41, into Spokane County Jail on multiple charges: attempted murder second degree, second-degree assault and several others, including assault of the victim’s friend.

The victim received serious but non-life-threatening injuries and was transported by ambulance to a local hospital.

According to TMZ (which first reported the news), Lindholm is being held on $100,000 bond.

“MAM represents Jeremy Lindholm. We have worked with him on bookings for television, film, and commercial projects. We are stunned at the news of his arrest,” Lindholm’s talent agent, Anne Lillian Mitchell, said in a statement to PEOPLE. “Our interaction with him has always been consistently professional. We will monitor the trial. Our thoughts are with all involved and their families.”

On Aug. 5, Lindholm shared a photo to Twitter of himself standing beside a TV that was playing his scene from the Showtime limited series. “How are you watching Twin Peaks? Don’t forget it begins airing at 8pm this Sunday,” he wrote.

Showtime declined to comment.

“Twin Peaks” airs Sundays (8 p.m. ET) on Showtime.

This article originally appeared on


On the ballot: Oxford council, Talawanda school board contested races

Published: Monday, August 14, 2017 @ 11:09 AM

The deadline for candidates to file for office in Oxford and Oxford Twp. has passed. Election Day is Nov. 7. Early voting begins Oct. 11. FILE
The deadline for candidates to file for office in Oxford and Oxford Twp. has passed. Election Day is Nov. 7. Early voting begins Oct. 11. FILE

There are 23 races set up to be contested in November’s election, pending certification of those races by the Butler County Board of Elections on Aug. 21. 

Here are the candidates for Oxford City Council, Oxford Twp. and Talawanda Board of Education.

Those with (i) indicates they are the incumbent and (c) indicates they have been certified to be on the November ballot.

MORE: For the latest political news, visit the


City Council (4 to be elected)

  • Drew Davis
  • Jace Prows
  • David Prytherch
  • Chantel Lin Raghu (c)
  • Michael Smith (i)
  • Edna Carter Southard (i)(c)
  • Samantha E. Vogel (c)
  • Corey A. Watt
  • Austin Worrell


Trustee (2 to be elected)

  • Matthew D. Franke
  • Peter McCarthy
  • Norma Pennock (i)(c)
  • Gary R. Salmon (i)(c)

Fiscal officer (1 to be elected)

  • Shaunna Tafelski (i)


Board member (2 to be elected)

  • Patrick Meade (c)
  • Lori Lynn Parks
  • Mary Jane Roberts (i)(c)
  • Lois A. Vollmer (i)

The filing deadline for the November 2017 ballot has passed for most city council races and all village council, township trustee and local school board races.

All candidates for local races, except for Hamilton and Middletown city council and mayoral races, had to file by 4 p.m. Aug. 9 to file petitions for office.

MORE: Butler County’s November ballot shaping up to have few contested races

Hamilton and Middletown city council and mayoral candidates have until Aug. 24 to file petitions as per their respective city charters.

Investigators discover true identity for NH serial killer, seek more tips

Published: Friday, August 18, 2017 @ 10:00 AM


A serial killer known by the FBI under several aliases, and who died in prison in 2010, has finally been identified, according to the New Hampshire Attorney General's Office.

The man believed to be responsible for at least 6 deaths was referred to by the FBI as Robert ‘Bob’ Evans, but has been identified as Terry Peder Rasmussen.

Police say Rasmussen was born in 1943 in Denver, Colorado and lived in Colorado and Arizona before he eventually enlisted in the Navy and later made his way to New Hampshire.

>> Read more trending news 

It was while he was living in New Hampshire that police say he was responsible for the murders of three unidentified children and one unidentified woman found in barrels in Bear Brook State Park. The Barrels were found in 1985 and 2000, though police say they were likely dumped there in the late 1970s.

>>AG: Man who killed woman, 3 children in Allenstown also killed missing Manchester woman

Police say Rasmussen worked as an electrician at Waumbec Mills during that time and likely left New Hampshire with Denise Beaudin – a woman who hasn’t been seen since – around 1981.

The identity of Evans/Rasmussen and his connection to crimes in New Hampshire became apparent late last year when a woman named ‘Lisa’ discovered her true identity as the daughter of Denise Beaudin. She had been abandoned by Rasmussen in a California trailer park shortly after he disappeared from New Hampshire in the 1980s.

According to court documents, Rasmussen – under an alias – agreed to give up custody or ‘Lisa’ and serve time in prison in exchange for police dropping molestation charges against him.

In a press release issued Friday morning, police now say Rasmussen was discharged from the Navy in 1967 and was married in Hawaii before his wife gave birth to twin girls, a son and another daughter.

According to the New Hampshire Attorney General's Office, Rasmussen’s wife left him in 1974 and took the children with her. Police say his former wife and four children are alive and accounted for.

With this identification, police say they hope tips will help fill in the remaining gaps about Rasmussen’s whereabouts in the late 1970s and the identity of the woman and children found dead in barrels in New Hampshire.

>>New England's Unsolved: The Allenstown Murders