breaking news

breaking news


State paid for worker’s home heating

Published: Sunday, October 14, 2012 @ 11:00 PM
Updated: Monday, October 15, 2012 @ 7:27 AM

Call the I-Team

If you have tips about potential government waste, call the I-Team hotline at (937) 225-2251.

State watchdogs are questioning why the Ohio Department of Natural Resources provides purchasing cards to nearly a third of its 1,850 employees after they found one worker using such cards to pay for his home heating for more than a decade.

The Ohio Inspector General’s report issued last week calls for ODNR to review the necessity of issuing cards to so many employees and look to strengthen the review process for the cards, which are used like credit cards.

This follows the finding that David Insley, a supervisor at a fish hatchery in Erie County, had since 2000 paid for propane to heat his home on hatchery grounds, costing the state $5,163 since 2004.

“The bigger concern grows out of what happened here. There was a great example of ODNR having a tough time managing the oversight of the use of the card in this particular instance,” said Deputy Inspector General Carl Enslen. “So the question becomes is oversight being well done everywhere (and) is there really a necessity to have that many cards out?”

Statewide, there are 4,045 purchasing cards issued for the state’s 54,049 employees, according to a Dayton Daily News analysis of state data.

Only one agency has even half the 1,216 cards that ODNR issues. That is the Department of Transportation, which has 743 cards and 5,371 employees. Job and Family Services has 3,698 employees and 139 cards.

ODNR officials say they are reviewing the OIG investigation, which was launched at ODNR’s request.

“ODNR cooperated throughout the investigation of former employee David Insley. We also conducted an internal investigation which led to his termination in June,” said agency spokeswoman Bethany McCorkle.

In addition to the purchase of propane, the OIG report said that the four employees of the hatchery — each of whom had a purchasing card — questioned the purchase of blacktop sealer, fertilizer and mulch as possibly used at Insley’s house on hatchery grounds.

Insley was charged in January with theft, but the charges against him in Erie County court in Sandusky were dropped in June.

Insley told state investigators that a supervisor told him he could charge the state for propane, though he was unable to name the supervisor or when he was told that, according to the OIG report.

The Castalia fish hatchery in Erie County is one of six fish hatcheries operated by the ODNR. It is where all of the state’s steelhead trout is raised, as well as rainbow trout used to stock state lakes.

ODNR is responsible for the state’s nature conservation efforts, wildlife and natural resources.

Plenty of sunshine as warming trend continues into weekend 

Published: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 3:33 AM

RELATED: Dayton Interactive Radar - WHIO Doppler 7 

QUICK-LOOK FORECAST

  • Cool morning, but quiet
  • Lots of sunshine this week
  • Temperatures climb into the weekend

RELATED: 5-Day Forecast 

DETAILED FORECAST

TODAY: Dry stretch continues today. It’s not as cool this morning, with most spots in the 40s. Sunshine through the afternoon and gradually getting warmer with highs around 70 today.

Kirstie Zontini

RELATED: County-by-County Weather 

FRIDAY: A great end to the work week with highs in the low 70s. Sunny skies and highs are about 10 degrees warmer than normal. We’ll see the evening fall through in the 60s for football games.

SATURDAY: Nice and quiet to start the weekend. A little breezy, but sunny and warm. Highs in the mid 70s.

Kirstie Zontini

SUNDAY: Clouds increase quickly. Breezy and mild in the mid 70s with a slight chance for a shower or two overnight. 

RELATED: Skywitness 7

MONDAY: Sun and clouds. Highs in the upper 60s. A few showers possible during the day. Gusty winds at times, while turning cooler into the night. 

Molly Ringwald recounts sexual harassment, assault by 'the other Harvey Weinsteins'

Published: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 4:22 AM

Molly Ringwald (Photo by Rabbani and Solimene Photography/Getty Images)
Rabbani and Solimene Photography/Getty Images
Molly Ringwald (Photo by Rabbani and Solimene Photography/Getty Images)(Rabbani and Solimene Photography/Getty Images)

Molly Ringwald, an ’80s teen idol, opened up about being sexually assaulted by a director in Hollywood in a new op-ed published in The New Yorker.

>> Before Alyssa Milano, #MeToo began with activist Tarana Burke 10 years ago

In a piece titled “All the Other Harvey Weinsteins,” the “16 Candles” star described her own experience with sexual assault in Hollywood in the wake of the Weinstein scandal.

“I have had plenty of Harveys of my own over the years, enough to feel a sickening shock of recognition,” she wrote.

>> Carrie Fisher once sent producer a cow tongue after friend was allegedly assaulted

Harvey Weinstein Accused of Sexual Harassment

Ringwald said she was “lucky” that she did not “have to turn down giving or getting a massage” and “wasn’t cajoled into a taxi,” but her own experiences were still horrific. She recalled a disturbing encounter with a 50-year-old crew member when she was 13 and the time a married film director "stuck his tongue in (her) mouth" when she was 14.

>> Read more trending news

“At a time when I was trying to figure out what it meant to become a sexually viable young woman, at every turn some older guy tried to help speed up the process,” she wrote, adding that she was thankful for having protective parents growing up, but they couldn’t shield her from everything she experienced. “I shudder to think of what would have happened had I not had them.”

Ringwald said she never spoke about her experiences because “stories like these have never been taken seriously.”

Several leading ladies in Hollywood have recently opened up about experiencing sexual harassment and assault.

>> Reese Witherspoon discusses being sexually assaulted at age 16

Reese Witherspoon also revealed that she was once sexually assaulted by a director when she was 16 years old at the Elle Women in Hollywood event on Monday.

“[I feel] true disgust at the director who assaulted me when I was 16 years old and anger at the agents and the producers who made me feel that silence was a condition of my employment,” Witherspoon said. “I feel really, really encouraged that there will be a new normal. For the young women in this room, life is going to be different, because we’re with you, we have your back, and it makes me feel better. It makes me so sad to talk about these issues, but I would be remiss not to.”

What Is "Me Too" On Social Media?

Power will be out for several hours after Harrison Twp. garage fire 

Published: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 4:01 AM
Updated: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 4:54 AM

UPDATE @ 5 a.m: Power will be out for several hours in the area of Nomad Avenue and nearby blocks in Harrison Twp. after a garage fire early Thursday morning.

TRENDING: OSP cruiser hit in Dayton after I-75 pursuit from Butler Co. 

Crews were dispatched to a garage fire that spread to the rear of a home in the 2300 block of Nomad Avenue around 3:30 a.m.

Firefighters were able to put the garage fire out quickly by knocking the entire garage down. The rear of the house, including the attic did sustain damage as a result of the fire spreading.

RELATED: Fire in vacant Dayton dwelling ‘suspicious in nature’ district chief says 

Residents of the home were notified of the fire after an individual who noticed it while passing by knocked on their door.

No one suffered injuries, but damage estimates are expected to be between $50,000 and $60,000, according to Sean McNeil, Harrison Twp. Fire Chief.

The family of the home are being housed by RedCross until the home is clear of smoke.

DP&L was on scene of the incident and power is expected to be restored for the neighborhood later this morning. 

FIRST REPORT

Crews are battling a garage fire that has exposed to the rear of a home in the 2300 block of Nomad Avenue in Harrison Twp.

The incident was reported around 3:30 a.m. on Thursday.

DP&L is on the way to the scene due to power lines reportedly being down. 

We have a crew on the way to the scene and will update this page with more details.

Oklahoma police officer who shot, killed daughter's boyfriend found guilty of manslaughter

Published: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 1:12 AM

FILE - In this June 30, 2017 file photo, ex-Tulsa police officer Shannon Kepler, left, arrives with his legal team for afternoon testimony in his third trial in Tulsa, Okla. Jurors in the fourth murder trial for Kepler, a white former Oklahoma police officer, heard a 911 call Tuesday, Oct. 17, 2017 where his daughter screams to dispatchers that her father had shot her 19-year-old black boyfriend. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki, File)
Sue Ogrocki/AP
FILE - In this June 30, 2017 file photo, ex-Tulsa police officer Shannon Kepler, left, arrives with his legal team for afternoon testimony in his third trial in Tulsa, Okla. Jurors in the fourth murder trial for Kepler, a white former Oklahoma police officer, heard a 911 call Tuesday, Oct. 17, 2017 where his daughter screams to dispatchers that her father had shot her 19-year-old black boyfriend. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki, File)(Sue Ogrocki/AP)

A jury has reached a verdict in the fourth murder trial of a former Tulsa, Oklahoma, police officer.

>> Watch the news report here

After more than five hours of deliberation, the jury found Shannon Kepler guilty of manslaughter in the 2014 killing of Jeremy Lake, his daughter's boyfriend, and recommended 15 years in prison.

>> Watch reaction from the courtroom here

Kepler Trial Update

VERDICT IN: The jury has returned a guilty of manslaughter verdict in the 4th trial of former Tulsa officer Shannon Kepler. http://bit.ly/2kYON6z

Posted by FOX23 News on Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Kepler is accused of killing Lake in 2014 while off duty.

Though he was charged with first-degree murder, the jury also considered the lesser charge of manslaughter in the heat of passion.

>> Read more trending news

Three previous trials ended in mistrial.

Some members of Lake's extended family traveled over an hour to be at the trial.

While the district attorney said evidence doesn't show that Kepler needed to use deadly force to defend himself, the defense claimed the state's evidence did not show that Kepler went to Lake's home with bad intentions.

Related