breaking news


Solid Rock Church dedicates new statue of Jesus

Published: Sunday, September 30, 2012 @ 9:09 PM
Updated: Monday, October 01, 2012 @ 6:48 AM

It was standing room only inside the Solid Rock Church Sunday evening as the congregation and visitors gathered to formally dedicate “Lux Mundi,” the 51-foot statue of Jesus placed between the church and I-75.

“This has been a long time coming,” said church administrator Ron Carter. “It’s finally nice to be at this point.”

“Lux Mundi” had been installed in pieces over the last few weeks, a replacement for the previous statue in the spot, “King of Kings,” which was widely known as “Touchdown Jesus” for the pose with arms upraised. “King of Kings” burned after being struck by lightning in June 2010.

Sculptor Tom Tsuchiya received a standing ovation from the crowd.

“The inspiration of Jesus is larger than life,” he said. “His message is larger than life, so how fitting it is to honor him with a sculpture that is larger than life.”

Tsuchiya said that he had two main sources of inspiration: The New Testament and the people of the Solid Rock Church.

From the New Testament, he studied the original Greek texts from the Gospels of John and Matthew, and the passage from Corinthians I, Chapter 13, and chose the Latin for “Light of the World” as the title “because it sounded cool.”

“We chose the name because everyone who sees the statue will be reminded of the bright beacon of Jesus,” he said. “When I visited Solid Rock for the first time, I saw this message put into practice.”

Tsuchiya said he first created a five-foot clay model so that he could work on the right expression and pose, showing Jesus with his arms outstretched and stepping forward slightly.

“I wanted a subtle smile that conveyed authority and benevolence,” he said. “That gave it a warm, calm quality.”

Carter said the statue will also include a water feature at its base that will be installed in the spring.

The dedication was scheduled to take place on the first anniversary of the death of church founder Lawrence Bishop.

“The last time I had a meeting with him on the statue, he just loved the design,” Carter said, “and was appreciative of all the work that went into the statue.”

A group of six men, who identified themselves only as “the Watchmen,” held a protest outside the driveway entrance to Solid Rock Church, shouting “Remember the second commandment” over a bullhorn and calling those entering “idolaters.”

Their presence didn’t go unnoticed in the ceremony.

“They called me ‘Jezebel,’” said Pastor Darlene Bishop. “If they knew me, they’d love me.”

Lawrence Bishop II shrugged them off as “demons trembling,” a reference to a passage in the Book of James.

“No one’s protesting Trader’s World for giraffe worship,” he joked, referring to the animal sculptures around the nearby flea market.

“But when it’s Jesus, they come with funny names for it,” he said. “If he were just standing there, they’d call it ‘the Just Standing There Jesus.’”

Husted for Governor endorsed by gun-rights group

Published: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 12:13 PM
Updated: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 12:13 PM


            Lebanon Councilwoman Wendy Monroe and, at center, Kim Campbell of Ohioans for Concealed Carry announced the group’s endorsement of Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted for Ohio governor.

Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted’s gubernatorial campaign was endorsed today by Ohioans for Concealed Carry.

The endorsement was announced at 22three Outfitters, a gun range and store outside Lebanon.

“If you care about your Second Amendment rights, Jon Husted is your man,”said Kim Campbell, a board member with the gun-rights group.

RELATED: How much are the candidates for governor worth?

Husted said he led a gubernatorial override of Ohio’s Concealed Carry law for the first time since the 1950s.

“Law-abiding citizens have the right to protect themselves, their family and their property,” Husted said.

Joining Husted and Campbell in the announcement was Lebanon Councilman Wendy Monroe.

22three Outfitters is a gun store and training facility outside Lebanon owned by Monroe and her husband, Warren County GOP Chairman Jeff Monroe.

Who’s in? A look at who is running for governor

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine and Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley responded to the endorsement.

DeWine emphasized his support for the 2nd Amendment.

“DeWine expanded concealed handgun license reciprocity rights for Ohioans to 38 states. He has also pushed Congress to pass a nationwide concealed carry reciprocity law and filed an amicus brief urging the US Supreme Court to strike down a ban on modern sporting rifles and so called “high capacity” magazines,” according to a statement from DeWine’s campaign.

Whaley called the endorsement “political pandering at its most obvious.”

“As a mayor, I don’t have the luxury of participating in acts of political theater like Husted. I go to work every day to ensure our streets and our communities are safe and to create jobs.”

We will have complete coverage of the race for Ohio governor to help you make an informed choice in 2018. Get the latest on our Ohio Politics Facebook page

23 million would lose insurance under new health care bill, CBO says

Published: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 5:29 PM

23 million would lose insurance under new health care bill, CBO says

The House Republican plan to replace Obamacare would reduce deficits by $119 billion over the next decade, but increase the number of Americans without health insurance by 23 million over the same period, according to a report released Wednesday by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office.

The report, done with the Joint Committee on Taxation, also found that in states that receive a waiver from market regulations, the price for those who become ill or who have preexisting conditions could skyrocket to the point that they would ultimately be priced out of the market.

RELATED: Democrats reach out to GOP senators to come up with deal

In short: Those that are healthy will still be able to buy health insurance with lower premiums, but those that are not will not. The report also found that while premiums would be about the same or lower for young people with lower income, premiums for older people with lower income would be “much larger than under current law” on average.

And the report cautioned that the narrower scope of benefits covered in many plans might cause “substantial” increases in out-of-pocket health care costs for everything from mental health care to maternity leave care to pediatric dental care.

The score was released 20 days after the House narrowly passed a bill that aimed to make sweeping changes to the 2010 health care law known as Obamacare. Since then, the Trump Administration has moved forward on a budget proposal that assumed the passage of the House bill.

Rep. Pat Tiberi, R-Genoa Township, said the bill was “just the start,” and is needed to help stop skyrocketing costs caused by Obamacare.

“House Republicans and the Administration will continue to focus on additional steps we can take to restore the free market, increase choices and lower costs so that Americans can afford the plans they want and need,” he said.

By contrast, Rep. Tim Ryan, D-Niles, said the GOP bill “takes away health care from 23 million Americans, reduces the deficit even less than the first version and gets there by throwing people with pre-existing conditions under the bus.

“This legislation is offensively bad, and will destroy the health care system Americans have come to rely on,” he said.

The House bill faces an uncertain future in the Senate. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell told Reuters Wednesday that he does not yet now how the Senate gets to 50 votes on the bill.

Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio, earlier this month indicated that he doesn’t support the House bill as it stands “because I continue to have concerns that this bill does not do enough to protect Ohio’s Medicaid expansion population, especially those who are receiving treatment for heroin and prescription drug abuse.” Emily Benavides, a Portman spokeswoman, said Portman had not shifted on that position since then. "We will review the new analysis as we work on a different approach here in the Senate," she said.

RELATED: Dayton congressman among those who voted no on health care bill

Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, called the House GOP bill “a bad deal.”

“The House bill will drive up costs, kick Ohioans off their insurance, and leave folks who have asthma or cancer unable to even purchase a plan,” he said. “Instead of moving forward with this bill, we need to work together to reduce costs and improve care for those we serve.”

Failing to repeal and replace Obamacare would be a political embarrassment for Republicans who made that promise a centerpiece of last year’s campaign. An earlier attempt to pass a bill to repeal and replace the 2010 law officially known as the Affordable Care Act failed to muster enough votes, and House leadership chose to pull the bill rather than see it fail on the floor.

The bill passed in May came after an earlier effort failed to muster the votes for passage. That GOP plan would’ve boosted the number of uninsured to 24 million by 2026 but would have cut the deficit by $150 billion, according to a CBO report on that plan.

The report released Wednesday found “average premiums for insurance purchased individually — that is, non-group insurance — would be lower, in part because the insurance, on average, would pay for a smaller proportion of health care costs. In addition … some people would use the tax credits authorized by the act to purchase policies that would not cover major medical risks and that are not counted as insurance in this cost estimate.”

The largest savings resulted from cutbacks in Medicaid.

The 2010 Affordable Care Act — also known as Obamacare — extended health-care coverage by offering middle-class people federally subsidized insurance policies in the individual market, and by expanding eligibility for low-income people to be covered by Medicaid, a joint federal and state program which provides health care for the poor.

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office is tasked with determining the impact of bills. The current head of the office was selected by Republican lawmakers.

Husband to start own search for wife presumed lost at sea

Published: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 6:22 PM

The newlywed husband of missing Delray Beach real estate broker Isabella Hellman, presumed lost after a four-day search by the U.S. Coast Guard, said Wednesday he’ll start his own effort, according to WPTV.

>> Read more trending news

Lewis Bennett told WPTV he planned to fly today to Cuba, then obtain a boat. He said his family was “distraught” and he felt he had to do something to help find Hellmann.

The Palm Beach Post has attempted to talk to both Bennett and relatives of Hellman for more than a week.

Hellmann, 41, was reported missing in the early morning of May 15 in the Atlantic about 70 miles southeast of Key West, according to the Coast Guard, which suspended its search for her late Thursday.

She was on a two-week vacation with Bennett, who told authorities he was sleeping below deck at about 1:30 a.m. Monday and awoke after the boat struck something, then went topside, but did not see his wife.

Bennett left the sinking boat in a life raft and was recovered at about 4:30 a.m. that morning, about 1,000 yards from the vessel and in water 4,800 feet deep, and flown to Marathon. Bennett told investigators Hellmann was wearing a life vest the last time he saw her, not long after the catamaran left Cuba at 8 p.m. Sunday.

ODOT asking motorists to use extra care Memorial Day weekend -- especially in work zones

Published: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 6:33 PM

The Ohio Department of Transportation is encouraging motorists to be extra careful this Memorial Day weekend.

The Ohio Department of Transportation is asking motorists to be aware, especially in and around construction work zones, as traffic is sure to pick up for the Memorial Day weekend.

We’re well into Ohio’s road construction busy season as the holiday weekend signals the unofficial start to summer.

Traffic can increase to upwards of 14 percent on Ohio roadways during the holiday weekend. That makes it the fourth highest traveled holiday of the year.

Last year, there were 6,041 work zone crashes resulting in 28 deaths.

"Drivers need to slow down and be alert, especially in work zones," Ohio Department of Transportation Director Jerry Wray said in a prepared statement.

"Even though we do what we can to make them as safe as possible work zones can be a dangerous place." 

>>RELATED: Holiday weekend means ‘Click It or Ticket’ program in full force

This year is not expected to be any different, as AAA is already predicting 1.4 million Ohioans will drive more than 50 miles from home during the holiday. That’s an increase of 2.2 percent from last year. 

With these increases coming about, ODOT is working to reduce the size and impact of work zones as much as possible during the holiday weekend.

Motorists can plan ahead by following their social media accounts and downloading the OHGO app for traffic alerts and more than 600 live traffic cameras. 

>>RELATED: Check the latest traffic report

Of the 15 traffic deaths during the Memorial Day holiday weekend last year, four victims were not wearing a seat belt.

That is why ODOT will be working with the Ohio Highway Patrol to encourage those traveling by vehicle to buckle up. There will be more than 130 digital highway message boards will display "Click it or Ticket" and "Buckle up Buckeyes."