Soldier from Troy killed in Afghanistan

Published: Monday, July 23, 2012 @ 10:59 AM
Updated: Monday, July 23, 2012 @ 10:59 AM

A 2007 Troy High School graduate was killed last week while serving in Afghanistan.

Army Private First Class Jeffrey L. Rice, 24, of Troy, died in Kandahar, Afghanistan Thursday, the Department of Defense announced Sunday.

Rice was part of the 20th Engineer Battalion, 36th Engineer Brigade stationed out of Fort Hood, Texas and was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom at the time of his death.

Rice’s family spoke to News Center 7 this morning and described him as goofy, very loving, sensitive, protective, always happy, a “jokester” and proud to be a soldier.

Rice also attended Piqua Joint Vocational School, now the Upper Valley Career Center, for his junior and senior year, according to Troy City Schools Superintendent Eric Herman.

Herman said Rice was in the welding program and played football while in high school.

“I remember him just being real quiet,” Herman said.

Alan Wuebker was Rice’s welding teacher for those two years and remembered him as an attentive, respectful and hardworking student.

“Jeff was an awesome student,” Wuebker said. “He always talked about serving his country. It was his lifetime goal to do that.”

Wuebker said Rice actually earned a scholarship to continue studying welding, but enlisted instead. He said Rice hoped to further his welding career while serving in the Army.

Fort Hood had not released any details on Rice’s death Sunday afternoon.

His family reportedly travelled to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware Sunday where Rice’s remains were transferred along with the bodies of two fellow soldiers also killed in Afghanistan last week, Army Spc. Darrion T. Hicks of Raleigh, N.C. and Marine Cpl. Joshua R. Ashley of Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.

The 20th Engineer Battalion, nickname “Lumberjack”, provides combat engineering support, according to the Fort Hood webpage.

Baird Funeral Home will be handling funeral services. Arrangements are pending.

Al Franken: What happens to his Senate seat if he resigns?

Published: Thursday, December 07, 2017 @ 8:16 AM

What You Need To Know About Al Franken

Sen. Al Franken, (D-Minn.), will make an announcement on the floor of the U.S. Senate Thursday as to whether he will resign his seat amid allegations of sexual misconduct.

Franken is expected to speak at 11:45 a.m. ET.

Franken has been accused of inappropriate conduct by several women. On Wednesday, more than 20 fellow senators called for Franken to resign.

What happens to his seat if he does? Here’s a look at the process of filling the seat.

Requirements:

A person who would be a senator from Minnesota must:

Be at least 30 years old

Be a resident of Minnesota

Be a U.S. citizen for at least nine years

Who makes the decision on a replacement?

According to state law, Minnesota’s governor is authorized to fill the vacancy if a senator resigns. The governor, Democrat Mark Dayton, can make temporary appointments to fill Senate vacancies, but a special election must be held to fill the seat until the next scheduled election of that seat is held.

When would a special election be held in this case?

In Minnesota, if the seat is vacated at least 11 weeks before a scheduled primary, then a special election must be held the following November. There is a primary set for Aug. 14, 2018, in Minnesota, so that would mean that a special election would have to be held in November 2018 if Franken resigns before May 29, 2018. Minnesota’s other senator, Amy Klobuchar, (D), is up for re-election in that election.
 

The winner of the special election would serve out Franken’s term, which ends in January 2021. If that person wants to stay in the seat for the six-year term that begins in January 2021, he or she would have to face re-election in November 2020. 

Sen. Al Franken (D-MN) looks over his papers during a Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee hearing on hurricane recovery efforts in Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands, on Capitol Hill November 14, 2017 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Mark Wilson/Getty Images)(Mark Wilson/Getty Images)

Atheists erect billboard saying church is ‘fake news’

Published: Thursday, December 07, 2017 @ 7:23 AM

Atheist Billboards Spark Controversy In New Mexico

A billboard in Albuquerque is turning heads this Christmas season. 

Atheists.org, the website for American Atheists, has purchased billboard space touting “Just skip church it’s all fake news!”

>> Read more trending news 

Nick Fish, a member of American Atheists, told KRQE, “It’s a great way for us to in a kind of lighthearted way start those conversations and get people talking.”

People were talking about the sign, but maybe not the way the group intended.

Connie Lindsay told KRQE, “I think it’s terrible, because Christmas is almost here for one thing and that’s not the way I wish to celebrate the holidays.”

But others agreed with the sign.

“I myself am an atheist so gonna have to concur with that,” Devon Gutierrez told KRQE.

The sign is meant, according to Fish, to not only get people to think critically about the message conveyed by religion, but also to remind people. “Christianity or any other religion doesn’t have a monopoly on December. So, our message here is, however you want to celebrate it, go ahead and do that,” Fish said.

Similar billboards were scheduled to be installed in Texas, NBC News reported.

Billboards were scheduled to be put up in Oklahoma, but they were not permitted by the billboard company, NBC News reported.

U.S. Navy sailor sketched Pearl Harbor attack before he was killed in action

Published: Thursday, December 07, 2017 @ 8:40 AM

VIDEO: Sailor Sketched Pearl Harbor Attack Before He was Killed in Action

Leonard Franklin Tomlinson lived and served in an age before social media, and the image he left behind is less ephemeral and certainly more meaningful than the slew of selfies we all serve up today.

>> PHOTOS: 'December 7, 1941 – a date which will live in infamy'

>> Click here or scroll down to read more

Man saves wild rabbit from California wildfires

Published: Thursday, December 07, 2017 @ 9:53 AM

Scenes from Southern California Wildfire

A California man risked his life to save a wild rabbit among the flames in the state’s wildfires.

KABC reported that a video posted to social media shows the unidentified man dressed in shorts and a hoodie running after the rabbit in La Conchita, California. 

>> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news

Witnesses said the man pulled over to save the wild rabbit along Highway 1 in Southern California’s Ventura Country, according to ABC News

The man could be seen jumping up and down in a panic before crouching down into the bush and attempting to grab the animal. The rabbit ultimately allowed the man to pick it up.
RELATED: Photos: California wildfires burn thousands of acres, force evacuations

The man did not want to be interviewed.

The Thomas fire started Monday and has since grown to 90,000 acres. It has prompted evacuations across the region.