breaking news

Sinclair increases student fees to generate another $2.2M annually

Published: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 @ 5:05 PM

Sinclair spokesman talks about the student fee increase.

Sinclair Community College’s board of trustees has approved measures to increase student fees and allocate money for a new students services center.

Sinclair students will begin paying a $7 per-credit-hour career services fee in spring 2018. The fee comes as Sinclair had planned to increase tuition by $7 before plans for that were nixed when Gov. John Kasich vetoed tuition increases at community colleges until fiscal year 2019.

“This seven dollars is actually a revisiting, a redo of the $7 that you had already decided on back in June,” said president Steve Johnson.

RELATED: Sinclair opens new $31.5-million health sciences center for classes

Sinclair’s board also allocated $13 million for an integrated students services center that will serve as a “front door” on the downtown Dayton college campus. The state will chip in $2.5 million while Sinclair will get the remaining $10.5 million from its reserve fund.

Construction on the new student center is expected to start in the spring of 2018 and be completed around the same time in 2019, spokesman Adam Murka said.

“It’s to put a front door on the campus so students know exactly how to go in and get started so they can go out and get the job that they need,” Murka said.

RELATED: Community colleges can now offer bachelor’s degrees

Sinclair’s board ended its meeting today with an executive session to discuss real estate as well as employment and compensation.

Sinclair officials have been in talks to purchase Far Hills Church in Centerville. The college could spend between $6 million and $10 million on the 40-acre property near Interstate 675 in southeast Montgomery County, officials said in July.

Sinclair has signed a refundable purchase option, giving it first right of refusal on the sale of the property, Johnson has said.

Ohio lawmaker’s idea leads to resting place for unidentified war dead

Published: Sunday, December 17, 2017 @ 6:17 AM

            Staff Sgt. Adrienne Doctor plays taps during the dedication ceremony for the Tomb of Remembrance in Section 72 of Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Virginia, Dec. 13, 2017. (U.S. Army photo by Elizabeth Fraser)
Staff Sgt. Adrienne Doctor plays taps during the dedication ceremony for the Tomb of Remembrance in Section 72 of Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Virginia, Dec. 13, 2017. (U.S. Army photo by Elizabeth Fraser)

After reading news stories about the Dover Air Force Base mortuary sending cremated veterans’ remains to a Maryland landfill in 2011, U.S. Rep. Steve Stivers was horrified.

Then he decided to do something to make sure it would never happen again.

Stivers, an Upper Arlington Republican who has served more than 30 years in the Ohio Army National Guard, began pushing for a resting place to inter the partial, unidentified remains of those who died while serving in the U.S. armed services.

It took six years, but the results of his efforts — the “Tomb of Remembrance” — was dedicated Wednesday at Arlington National Cemetery.

RELATED: House to vote on Stivers bill

No remains were interred yet, but Stivers took comfort in knowing that cremated remains would have a dedicated resting place.

“It felt great to know that there is now a very honorable place for these remains to go,” he said.

Stivers and his staff came up with a idea for the tomb after reading the stories about the Air Force dumping incinerated partial remains of unidentified soldiers in a Virginia landfill. He said he wanted a place that could accept new remains long after he left Congress.

Stivers introduced a bill in May 2012, but more importantly he got the superintendent of Arlington Cemetery interested. The bill passed the House but was still in the Senate when the superintendent decided to move forward without congressional help.

RELATED: 56 cremated remains found in Dayton home

“It wasn’t about passing a bill,” Stivers said. “It was about making it happen.”

There were more practical issues at play as well. Arlington National Cemetery is quickly running out of space. Storing cremated remains of unknown service members together, Stivers said, made more sense than burying each set of co-mingled fragments in a separate grave.

Tucked in a corner of the cemetery, not far from the columbarium — a wall holding cremated remains of other veterans — the tomb is simple and reminiscent of a cairn, or pile of rocks known as a traditional type of tomb. Underneath the cairn, a humidity-controlled vault will hold the cremated remains. Above it, those visiting can sit on a bench with a full view of the site and the graves that lie beyond it.

RELATED: Dayton VA pledges to address high suicide rate among veterans

During a brief 10 to 15 minute ceremony, military representatives blessed the tomb with Hebrew, Catholic and Protestant prayers. They played taps. And one cemetery representative pulled Stivers aside and told him that his idea would endure for 100 or possibly 200 years to come.

Stivers was overwhelmed.

“It feels like I made a difference,” he said, “and that feels great.”

Dayton man shot in hand during attempted robbery

Published: Sunday, December 17, 2017 @ 6:06 AM

A 29-year-old Dayton man was shot in the hand Friday night around 9:40 p.m. during a robbery in the 2100 block of North Main Street according to a Dayton Police report.

RELATED: See more trending stories on

Police were called to Miami Valley Hospital after the gunshot victim was admitted to the emergency room for a non-life threatening gunshot wound to his right hand. 

The victim reported he was walking in an alley on his way back to his mother's home when a man in a black ski mask showed a silver handgun and said, "Give it up." 

The victim said he tried to disarm the suspect and as he reached for the gun he was shot and the suspect fled. 

The suspect was described as standing 5 feet, 10 inches tall, wearing a blue coat with white buttons and black shoes with a reflective or illuminated logo. 

Dayton Police are still investigating this crime and if you have any information you are asked to call 937-333-2677

Police: Washington State mother under investigation for infant's death

Published: Sunday, December 17, 2017 @ 5:51 AM

Kent Police Department.
Kent Police Department
Kent Police Department.(Kent Police Department)

A 24-year-old Washington State woman is under investigation for homicide and reckless care that caused the death of her infant son, Kent Police said late Saturday.

>> Read more trending news

Medics were called on Dec. 12 after the 2-month old baby was found unresponsive, police said. 

Police said the mother placed the child on his stomach on top of a sleeping bag and left him unattended for at least 20 minutes while she watched television in another room.

When the mother returned, she found the child unresponsive and not breathing.

A GoFundMe page has been set up for the child's memorial fund. Click here to view. 

CSX railroad chief Hunter Harrison dies

Published: Sunday, December 17, 2017 @ 4:55 AM

Hunter Harrison was the CEO of the Florida-based CSX railroad company.
Associated Press file photo
Hunter Harrison was the CEO of the Florida-based CSX railroad company.(Associated Press file photo)

Hunter Harrison, the president and CEO of railroad giant CSX, died Saturday in Florida. He was 73.

>> Read more trending news

CSX confirmed Harrison’s death in a statement, saying it was caused by “unexpectedly severe complications” from a recent illness. His death comes only a couple of days after the company announced he was taking an unplanned medical leave of absence.

“Hunter was a larger-than-life figure who brought his remarkable passion, experience and energy in railroading to CSX,” the company said in a statement.

Harrison was hired by Florida-based CSX in March under shareholder pressure. But recently there had been concerns about his health. The Wall Street Journal reported in May that Harrison often worked from his Wellington home and occasionally required portable oxygen.

Harrison, a member of the Wellington horse set, lived in a 9,200-square-foot mansion at Palm Beach Polo & Country Club, according to property records. He paid $4 million for the property in 2008.

The property now is held in the name of Harrison’s wife, Jeannie Harrison. They have a homestead exemption.

And the Harrison family’s Double H Farm owns a 22-acre property in Wellington.

Born in Memphis, Tennessee, Harrison was a long-time railroad executive who made his career turning around railroads.

“With the passing of Hunter Harrison, CSX has suffered a major loss. Notwithstanding that loss, the Board is confident that Jim Foote, as acting Chief Executive Officer, and the rest of the CSX team will capitalize on the changes that Hunter has made,” Edward J. Kelly III, Chairman of the CSX Board of Directors, said.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.