Severe Weather: Slight vs Enhanced Risk

Published: Thursday, February 23, 2017 @ 1:41 PM

Slight verse Enhanced severe weather threat

In advance of the potential for strong to severe storms, the Storm Prediction Center will issue a report that is known as their convective outlook. This is used to help highlight the regions that will have the greatest ingredients for storm development. 

 

One of the more commonly used outlooks is the ‘Slight Risk’. 

WHIO Stormcenter 7 Meteorologist Kirstie Zontini explains the difference between "Slight Risk" and "Enhanced Risk" of severe storms, as reported by the Storm Prediction Center in advance of potentially impactful weather conditions.

This means a few storms could reach severe criteria; wind damage is possible as well as hail up to one inch in diameter with an isolated spin-up tornado.

 

If the Storm Prediction Center believes there is a greater risk for severe storms, they will elevate a region to an Enhanced Risk. 

WHIO Stormcenter 7 Meteorologist Kirstie Zontini explains the difference between "Slight Risk" and "Enhanced Risk" of severe storms, as reported by the Storm Prediction Center in advance of potentially impactful, severe weather.

This indicated that within the region highlighted, there could be more numerous severe storms and the systems potential longevity is greater. There is also a higher risk for several damage reports, hail one to two inches in diameter and a few tornados possible.

Stay weather aware anytime, anywhere by downloading our free WHIO Weather App.  You’ll have immediate access to live radar and can receive alerts anytime severe weather is approaching.

Air Force Museum reopened; boil advisory remains for parts of WPAFB

Published: Monday, September 18, 2017 @ 9:32 AM
Updated: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 @ 2:15 PM

Crew ruptured a water main while installing new pipes

UPDATE @ 2:15 p.m. (Sept. 19): 

A water main break flooded an undetermined number of buildings at Wright-Patterson in Area B and led to a two-hour delay in reporting to work for some employees Tuesday, a spokesman said.

TRENDING: Conjoined twin boys born at Cincinnati hospital

Boil drinking water advisories were lifted in some buildings but remained in effect for others until base environmental personnel were able to test the water as a precaution, according to spokesman Bryan Ripple.

TRENDING: Man accused of sex act in lobby of Kettering hospital

The National Museum of the U.S. Air Force closed Monday after the water main break along Springfield Street but reopened Tuesday. Drinking water fountains were off-limits, however, until they were tested at the museum, Ripple said.

The water main break impacted some buildings in Area B west of K Street, he said. The extent of water damage was not immediately available.

UPDATE @ 1:14 p.m.: (Sept. 18)

The National Museum of the United States Air Force and some offices in Area B will close for the remainder of the day due to lack of water service, according to base personnel.

TRENDING: Multiple overdose patients driven to Sidney hospital

“Base engineers have been unable to restore service after a water main break earlier this morning along Springfield Street adjacent to the base perimeter,” the base said in a prepared statement. “Once service is restored, a precautionary boil advisory for all drinking water in affected facilities will remain in effect until Installation Bioenvironmental Engineers have tested the water and deem it safe to drink.”

A drinking water advisory was issued as a precaution for areas west of K Street in Area B, said Wright-Patterson spokesman Bryan Ripple.

“Only portions of Area B are impacted right now,” he said.

Base spokesman Daryl Mayer said crews were working to fix the water main by the end of the day.

“We’ll have to do an investigation to try and determine what the exact cause of the break was,” he said.

INITIAL REPORT: (Sept. 18)

Around eight to 12 inches of water have flooded a portion of Springfield Street near Wright-Patterson Air Force Base after a construction crew struck a water main Monday morning. \

Officials on the scene said a construction crew was working on replacing underground pipes in the area of Springfield Street and Ohio 444 when a water main was hit by a piece of equipment. 

State troopers said the roadway is passable and remains open. 

There were no reports of boil advisories issued. 

We’ll update this page as we learn more. 

Barbecue rattlesnake sounded good, but it landed man in hospital for 2 weeks 

Published: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 @ 1:32 PM

Dangerous Snakes

An Arizona man learned the hard way that it’s not a good idea to play with rattlesnakes after spending two weeks in the hospital for snake bite injuries.

>> Read more trending news

It seems Victor Pratt, 48, decided he wanted barbecue rattlesnake during a family birthday party, according to Inside Edition

“I know to cook them and cut the heads off and stuff,” Pratt said. “They taste like chicken. It’s not bad,” he told Inside Edition.

But, Pratt’s plan backfired after he told FOX10 that he was “playing with it like little kids do.” 

His hand slipped and the reptile attacked. It bit Pratt twice, once in the neck, which doctors said was dangerous because his throat could swell shut, according to FOX10

Pratt was just fine in the end, but he did need 26 vials of anti-venom to recover. 

He told Fox10 he will not be playing with rattlesnakes anymore. 

>> Related: Snake bites man on tongue as victim tries to kiss the reptile 

Read more here

Craigslist killer appeals death sentence to Ohio Supreme Court

Published: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 @ 2:10 PM
Updated: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 @ 2:10 PM


            Richard Beasley addresses the court after sentencing in his capital murder case by Summit Common Pleas Judge Lynne S. Callahan on April 04, 2013 in Akron. Beasley was given the death sentence on three counts and jail time for other counts. (Akron Beacon Journal file photo)
Richard Beasley addresses the court after sentencing in his capital murder case by Summit Common Pleas Judge Lynne S. Callahan on April 04, 2013 in Akron. Beasley was given the death sentence on three counts and jail time for other counts. (Akron Beacon Journal file photo)

The Craigslist Killer is appealing his death sentence to the Ohio Supreme Court, saying the huge swell of national publicity deprived him of a fair trial in Summit County.

The high court will hear oral arguments next week from Richard Beasley, one of two people convicted in the murders of three men lured to a southeastern Ohio farm with job postings on Craigslist.org in 2011.

Beasley was convicted in 2013 of three murders, attempted murder of another man, robbery, kidnapping and other charges and sentenced to death. His co-defendant Brogan Rafferty, who was a minor at the time, was convicted in 2012 and sentenced to life in prison without parole.

Beasley advertised a farm caretaker job on Craiglist. When Ralph Geiger of Akron, David Pauley of Virginia and Tim Kern of Massillon responded to the job ad, Beasley shot them in the head.

A fourth man, Scott Davis, of South Carolina, escaped when he was shot in the elbow. Davis ran for help and police began investigating.

In his appeal to the Ohio Supreme Court, Beasley is making 11 legal arguments to challenge his convictions and sentence, including improper use of hearsay testimony against him and pre-trial publicity prejudiced the jury in the case.

The Ohio Attorney General’s office maintains that the hearsay evidence was admissible and Beasley never raised concerns at the time of trial about the publicity surrounding the case.

Related: Trooper advertised traffic stop sex on Craigslist

The case, which was investigated by the FBI, generated international headlines.

Rafferty, now 22, is incarcerated at Mansfield Correctional Institution. Beasley, 58, is on Death Row at Chillicothe Correctional Institution.

Related: Ohio executes killer convicted in 1992 homicides

Navy hospital apologizes for staff's 'inappropriate' photos of newborns

Published: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 @ 11:41 AM

Naval Hospital Issues Apology For Staff's "Inappropriate" Photos Of Newborns

A picture of staff members inappropriately handling a newborn at Florida’s Naval Hospital Jacksonville has gone viral, and the hospital said the staff members involved in the incident will face legal action.

>> Read more trending news

Naval Hospital Jacksonville officials said that they’re aware of a video that was posted to social media and appears to show a nurse inappropriately handling a newborn.

The hospital responded with a statement on Facebook that garnered thousands of shares. 

Naval Hospital Jacksonville's Commanding Officer sends: We are aware of a video / photo posted online. It's...

Posted by Naval Hospital Jacksonville on Monday, September 18, 2017

A photo of the incident appears to show staff inappropriately gesturing to a newborn and calling the infant “Satan.”

The photo is captioned, “How I currently feel about these mini Satans."

The hospital called the images outrageous, unacceptable and incredibly unprofessional. Naval Hospital Jacksonville released a statement that reads in part, “We have identified the staff members involved. They have been removed from patient care and they will be handled by the legal system and military justice.”

The hospital said it is still notifying involved parties.