Services today for Springboro soldier killed in West Africa

Published: Thursday, October 12, 2017 @ 12:59 PM
Updated: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 8:00 AM

            Staff Sgt. Jeremiah W. Johnson, 39, formerly of Springboro, and three other U.S. soldiers were killed Oct. 4 during an attack in the West African nation of Niger, according to the Defense Department. U.S. ARMY PHOTO
Staff Sgt. Jeremiah W. Johnson, 39, formerly of Springboro, and three other U.S. soldiers were killed Oct. 4 during an attack in the West African nation of Niger, according to the Defense Department. U.S. ARMY PHOTO

A memorial service for a soldier formerly from the Springboro area and three others killed in an ambush in Niger in West Africa is set for Nov. 7 at Fort Bragg, N.C., according to an Army spokesman.

Staff Sgt. Jeremiah W. Johnson, 39, and formerly of the Springboro area, was among those killed in the Oct. 4 incident, the Defense Department has said. A date for a funeral service was pending Thursday, a spokesman said.

RELATED: Local soldier killed in combat; ‘This is not another name,’ friend says

ISIS-Grand Sahara militants were behind the attack against U.S. soldiers, Maj. Audricia M. Harris, a Pentagon spokeswoman, confirmed to this newspaper Thursday. The attack killed a foreign soldier working with American forces and injured two U.S. soldiers during a reconnaissance patrol, officials have said.

The other Americans killed in the attack were Staff Sgt. Bryan Black, 35, of Puyallup, Wash., Staff Sgt. Dustin Wright, 29, of Lyons, Ga., and Sgt. LaDavid Johnson, of Miami Gardens, Fla., the Defense Department reported. Sgt. LaDavid Johnson’s name was released days after the three soldiers were first identified.

They were assigned to the 3rd Special Forces Group at Fort Bragg.

RELATED: Elite troops killed,wounded in surprise attack in Niger

Staff Sgt. Jeremiah Johnson, who was married and had two children, moved to the Springboro area in his 20s to be closer to his mother and stepfather before he enlisted in the Army, friends of the family have told this news outlet.

“This is not another name,” Jeff Baldridge, a Springboro area family friend and Air Force veteran told WHIO-TV last week. “This is a young man who gave his life for his country, and it is hard to wrap your hand around the fact that for us this isn’t just another statistic. For us, every single veteran is precious.”

The soldier was expected to return to the United States in December after a year-long deployment in Africa, friends said. His parents had relocated in recent years to South Carolina.

A time for the memorial service at Fort Bragg had not yet been set, Army Capt. Christopher D. Webb said in an email.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Police: 2 suspected metal thieves caught red-handed in Dayton

Published: Thursday, March 22, 2018 @ 11:17 PM

Jacob Schiessler, left, and Scott Schiessler
Jacob Schiessler, left, and Scott Schiessler(MONTGOMERY COUNTY JAIL)

A Tipp City man told police he was nearly run over this evening after he tried to confront two suspected metal thieves.

The 56-year-old man dialed 911 to report a theft in progress around 5 p.m. at the old Hewitt Soap Factory, 300 Linden Ave. He said he was on his way home from work when he saw a red pickup truck on the property. He walked up to the truck to get its license plate number when he spotted a man later identified as Jacob Schiessler come out of a vacant building, and saw another man, later identified as Scott Schiessler, load metal into the bed of the pickup, according to a Dayton police report.

>> Man tells officer: ‘I’ll bite your nose off and spit it in your face’ during arrest

The man said when he confronted the men about the theft, Jacob Schiessler threatened him and he backed away at the urging of the 911 operator.

Then, he said Jacob Schiessler got into the driver’s seat of the pickup, accelerated and tried to run him owner. The victim said he was able to run out of the way to avoid being struck, the report stated.

Police found the pickup at First Street Recycling, 1400 E. First St.

>> Feds: Postal worker on disability got $94K, was in 35 motorcycle races

The victim identified Jacob and Scott Schiessler as the men involved in the incident at the soap factory property, the report stated.

Both men were booked into the Montgomery County Jail on suspicion of felony breaking and entering, and Jacob Schiessler also faces a felonious assault charge. They are due to be arraigned Friday afternoon in Dayton Municipal Court, online jail records show.

Got a tip? Call our 24-hour monitored line, 937-259-2237, or send it to

Trending - Most Read Stories

5 restaurants that closed near the Mall at Fairfield Commons

Published: Monday, February 19, 2018 @ 6:00 AM

Restaurants in and around the Mall at Fairfield Commons that have closed

The area in and around the Mall at Fairfield Commons in Beavercreek has been a hotbed of restaurant activity in recent years, mostly focusing on new restaurants.

>> 12 of the best restaurants in Dayton

>> 10 restaurants opening in Dayton in 2018

And that’s not surprising, because in 2015, the parent company of the Fairfield Commons mall actually demolished a portion of its building that had previously housed anchor department-store space to pave the way for the addition of restaurants and other entertainment-themed retailers.

>> 6 restaurants that shut down at The Greene

>> Demolition underway of a portion of the Mall at Fairfield Commons

But the area where Beavercreek, Fairborn, Wright State University and Wright-Patterson Air Force Base-related businesses all come together has seen a large number of restaurant closings in recent years as well.

>> Fairfield Commons restaurant makes list of ‘fastest growing’

In most — but not all — cases, the spaces left behind haven’t remained empty for long, as successor restaurants have moved in quickly. And several new restaurants have opened in the area in recent months and years, including MELT Bar & Grilled, Flyboys Deli, Fusian, Primanti Bros., MacKenzie River Pizza Grill Pub and Wandering Griffin, to name a few.

>> Fusian opens at Mall at Fairfield Commons

Here are some of the higher-profile restaurant closings in and around the Mall at Fairfield Commons.

1. Abuelo’s Mexican Restaurant in Beavercreek closes abruptly after 13 years

Abuelo’s Mexican Restaurant shut down its only Dayton-area location at the end of 2017. Staff file photo by Jim Witmer(Staff Writer)

Abuelo’s Mexican Restaurant was a Beavercreek dining option since it opened in 2005 at 2420 N. Fairfield Road, just south of the Mall at Fairfield Commons. The restaurant shut down permanently and with apparently little warning at the end of 2017.

“We don’t currently have plans to open another location in the Dayton area,” Melanie Carroll, marketing director for Abuelo’s corporate parent, Food Concepts International, told this news outlet shortly after the closure.

2. Logan’s Roadhouse shuts down its Beavercreek restaurant

Logan’s Roadhouse has emerged from bankruptcy, its parent company announced today. FILE PHOTO(Staff Writer)

Logan’s Roadhouse closed its Beavercreek location at 2819 Centre Drive near the Mall at Fairfield Commons in September 2016. Employees were told high rent and the upcoming renegotiation of a lease was a factor in the decision to close the Beavercreek location.

A month before the closure, Logan’s Roadhouse Inc. filed for reorganization bankruptcy and said it would close 18 “underperforming” locations in the 256-unit chain as it restructured its debt. No Dayton-area location was among the that first wave of closings, however.

Logan’s still operates two Dayton-area steakhouse restaurants: near the Dayton Mall in Miami Twp. and in Troy.

3. Don Pablo’s closes Beavercreek location

Don Pablo’s wants to see you in a stache.A mustache can get you a free sopapilla on Thursday. (Source: Don Pablo’s Facebook)Don Pablo’s burritto. Which restaurant sells the best burrito in Dayton? wants to know.

Don Pablo’s closed its restaurant at 2745 Fairfield Commons Blvd. in September 2016. The Tex-Mex chain, which got its start in Lubbock, Texas in 1985, has only one remaining restaurant in Ohio, on Madison Road in Cincinnati.

4. Max & Erma’s Beavercreek to close; new pub already in works

The Max & Erma’s restaurant chain’s corporate owner closed its restaurant in front of the Mall at Fairfield Commons in April 2017, and said the space would be converted to a different restaurant concept, MacKenzie River Pizza Grill Pub. And that’s exactly what happened in the ensuing months.

“We wanted to give the Beavercreek community a new exciting dining option,” James Blystone, vice president of franchising and communication for Montana-based Glacier Restaurant Group, told this news outlet. “This location worked fine for Max & Erma’s, but as we continue to expand the MacKenzie River Pizza Grill Pub, we look for opportunities that we feel are a great fit for this brand.”

“We are confident the Beavercreek location and the community will embrace MacKenzie River’s scratch kitchen, extraordinary service and mountain ambience.”

In February 2018, Glacier made a very similar announcement for its Liberty Twp. restaurant.

5. Quaker Steak and Lube restaurant abruptly closes in Beavercreek

Quaker Steak & Lube off of Colonel Glenn Highway shut down in 2015, and became the Wandering Griffin Brewpub the following year. MARK FISHER/STAFF(Staff Writer)

The Dayton area’s only Quaker Steak and Lube restaurant location at 3725 Presidential Drive off Colonel Glenn Highway up the street from the Mall at Fairfield Commons shut its doors rather abruptly in September 2015, after nearly 13 years in business.

The restaurant’s franchise owner-operator, Russell Berner, said at the time that he was selling the restaurant and real estate. “We appreciate the patronage of the last 13 years,” Berner said. But he said the offer for the property “was too good to refuse.”

It didn’t stay vacant for long. The Wandering Griffin Brewpub opened in the space in November 2016.

>> Wandering Griffin brewpub now open

These are some of the higher-profile closings in the last three years in and around the Fairfield Commons Mall. There have been other closings in the mall’s food court, including Phantom Pizza, Cajun Ming, Subway and Designer Dogs, but those spaces were filled, usually quite quickly, with restaurants that include Sbarro, Gyro King and Asian Too.

And if we want to talk restaurant closings in the “Way-Back” times, we could mention Boulevard Grille or California Pizza Kitchen — but that may be a story for another day.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Bomb at FedEx facility targeted Austin Med Spa employee, worker’s mom says

Published: Thursday, March 22, 2018 @ 11:01 PM

A Texas state flag flies outside a FedEx facility following an explosion on March 20, 2018 in Schertz, Texas. A package exploded while being transported on a conveyor shortly after midnight. 
Scott Olson/Getty Images
A Texas state flag flies outside a FedEx facility following an explosion on March 20, 2018 in Schertz, Texas. A package exploded while being transported on a conveyor shortly after midnight. (Scott Olson/Getty Images)

A bomb found at a FedEx facility in Southeast Austin on Tuesday morning was addressed to an employee at Austin Med Spa, according to spa workers and the employee’s mother. 

>> Read more trending news 

Anita Ward, a nurse at Austin Med Spa, said FBI agents and Austin police told her Tuesday morning that her daughter, who also works at the spa in downtown Austin, was to be the recipient of the unexploded bomb at a FedEx sorting facility at 4117 McKinney Falls Parkway near Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. 

Ward, who did not want to give her daughter’s name, said her daughter does not know Mark Conditt, who police say terrorized Austin with a series of bomb attacks that left two people dead and five injured.

Anita Ward said Conditt also did not look familiar to anyone who works at the spa.

>> Related: Austin bombings: Click here for complete coverage

“We’ve been trying to just keep it in the down low just for the FBI and police,” Ward said. “All of us here are just very thankful for the FBI and police and the work they’ve been doing.”

“I got to see a little bit of the inside of (the investigative process) and they were very quick at checking and stopping this package, and so we completely 100 percent credit this to them for stopping this from being delivered to our office,” she said.

>> Related: Austin bomber on recording: ‘I wish I were sorry but I am not’ 

Ward’s daughter attends Austin Community College, but did not attend the school from 2010 to 2012, when Conditt was pursuing a business administration degree but did not graduate.

They’re still investigating, we’re still providing them information,” Ward said. “We pretty much know as much as (authorities) can release to us. We still have a lot of unanswered questions.”

For now, Ward said she and her daughter are scared but thankful for the work of the FBI and Austin police. “We’ve both been very actively concerned and involved with this, her being targeted.”

Common Traits Of A Serial Bomber

Police said the unexploded package at the FedEx facility in Southeast Austin was one of two sent from a Sunset Valley FedEx Office store. Authorities determined it was a bomb and detonated in a controlled manner, they said.

>> Related: Austin bomb victim's father thanks authorities in letter, questions son's death

The first three victims, all in East Austin, were two black men who were killed in the attacks and a Hispanic woman. Two white men were injured on Sunday when they accidentally triggered a trip wire attached to a bomb in Southwest Austin. Ward and her daughter are white.

Trending - Most Read Stories

National Security Adviser Gen. H.R. McMaster out; former U.S. ambassador John Bolton in

Published: Thursday, March 22, 2018 @ 6:37 PM

Who Is H.R. McMaster, Trump’s National Security Adviser

National Security Adviser Gen. H.R. McMaster is resigning from the Trump administration and will be replaced by former U.S. ambassador John Bolton, according to a tweet Thursday afternoon from President Donald Trump.

>> Read more trending newsWho is H.R. McMaster, Trump's national security advisor

National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster attends a meeting between President Donald Trump and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in the Oval Office at the White House on March 20, 2018 in Washington, D.C.(Pool/Getty Images)

Trending - Most Read Stories