log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Friday, January 13, 2017 @ 4:23 PM
Thanks to DNA analysis, the young woman now knows her birth name: Kamiyah Mobley.Jacksonville Sheriff Mike Williams said Friday at a news conference that she's is in good health, but understandably overwhelmed.
Police arrested Gloria Williams, 51, of Walterboro, South Carolina, at the home where Mobley was raised, and charged her with kidnapping and interference with custody.In Jacksonville, the young woman's birth family cried "tears of joy" after a detective told them their baby had been found. Within hours Friday, they were able to reconnect by video chat.
"She looks just like her daddy," her paternal grandmother, Velma Aiken of Jacksonville, told The Associated Press after they were able to see each other for the first time, on FaceTime. "She act like she been talking to us all the time. She told us she'd be here soon to see us.
"Mobley was only eight hours old when she was taken from her young mother by a woman posing as a nurse at University Medical Center in 1998. A massive search ensued, with helicopters circling the hospital and the city on high alert, and thousands of tips came in over the years, but authorities apparently had no clue where she was.
All that time, police said, she was being raised under a different name in Walterboro. Then, some months ago, the young woman "had an inclination" that she may have been kidnapped, the sheriff said.
The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children reached out to the cold case detectives at the sheriff's office, and Mobley provided a swab of her cheek for DNA analysis that proved the match, the sheriff said.Even after all this time, the family never forgot the little girl ripped from her mother's arms that day.Her mother, Shanara Mobley, told the Florida Times-Union newspaper on the 10th Anniversary of the kidnapping that on every one of Kamiyah's birthdays, she wrapped a piece of birthday cake in foil, and stuck it in her freezer.
"It's stressful to wake up every day, knowing that your child is out there and you have no way to reach her or talk to her," Mobley told the paper in 2008.The sheriff said Kamiyah is being provided with counseling.
"She's taking it as well as you can imagine. She has a lot to process," the sheriff said. "I can't even begin to comprehend it."As the young woman and her rediscovered family work toward a new relationship, Aiken said she's thrilled that they'll now be able to speak with each other as much as they want.
Published: Sunday, February 25, 2018 @ 12:04 AM
Updated: Sunday, February 25, 2018 @ 12:25 AM
MIDDLETOWN — There have been numerous reports of several loud explosions Saturday night at AK Steel Corp.
Middletown dispatch confirmed they received reports of a possible explosion, but said they are not aware of the cause of the noise reported, nor where it may have occurred.
Witnesses said the blasts happened sometime around 11:20 p.m.
We are working to learn more about what happened, and whether there were any injuries.
Published: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 9:07 PM
LOGAN COUNTY, Kentucky — A woman was killed and her husband injured Saturday afternoon when a possible tornado struck their home on Dot Road in southern Logan County, WHOP AM/FM radio in Hopkinsville, Ky., reported.
The tornado entered Logan County around 3:45 p.m. from Robertson County, Tennessee.
The woman’s name was not released. Her death marks the first of 2018 during a tornado.
Published: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 4:23 PM
— The House Intelligence Committee Saturday released the Democrats’ rebuttal to the Republican memo alleging the FBI and Department of Justice engaged in questionable tactics in the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election and alleged Trump campaign collusion with Russia.
Some time ago, Republicans on our committee released a declassified memo that omitted and distorted key facts in order to mislead the public and impugn the integrity of the FBI.— Adam Schiff (@RepAdamSchiff) February 24, 2018
We can now tell you what they left out: https://t.co/jeVCVTBUBZ
The 10-page memo, released two weeks after President Donald Trump blocked it and after wrangling between Democrats and DOJ officials, was authored by ranking Intelligence Committee Democrat Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) in response to one by House Intelligence Committee chairman Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA), and disputes allegations that illegal tactics were used to get warrants to surveil a former Trump campaign aide.
“The Democratic response memo released today should put to rest any concerns that the American people might have as to the conduct of the FBI, the Justice Department and the FISC. Our extensive review of the initial FISA application and three subsequent renewals failed to uncover any evidence of illegal, unethical, or unprofessional behavior by law enforcement and instead revealed that both the FBI and DOJ made extensive showings to justify all four requests,” Schiff said in a statement Saturday after the release of the memo.
Trump tweeted a response to Schiff’s document release Saturday, calling the Democrats’ memo “a total political and legal bust.” He also repeated his claims that special prosecutor Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election and possible collusion with the Trump campaign is a “witch hunt.”
The Democrat memo response on government surveillance abuses is a total political and legal BUST. Just confirms all of the terrible things that were done. SO ILLEGAL!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 24, 2018
Dem Memo: FBI did not disclose who the clients were - the Clinton Campaign and the DNC. Wow!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 24, 2018
“Russians had no compromising information on Donald Trump” @FoxNews Of course not, because there is none, and never was. This whole Witch Hunt is an illegal disgrace...and Obama did nothing about Russia!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 24, 2018
The president released the Nunes memo last month, which contained information purporting to show that the FBI and DOJ did not provide complete information when requesting a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court warrant to watch one-time Trump campaign member and foreign policy advisor Carter Page.
The release of both memos came over the objections of investigators in the intelligence communities.
Published: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 10:26 AM
Updated: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 11:52 AM
— A 17-year-old male accused of fatally shooting a Dayton mother in front of two young children will remain in custody following a detention hearing Saturday morning.
The teen, who was arrested and placed in detention Friday, is suspected of killing 22-year-old Keyona Murray, who was shot in the head in a home on the 100 block of Lorenz Ave. in Dayton on Feb. 16.
Neighbors and a 911 caller who reported Murray’s shooting said the gunfire came from outside the home, in a back alley.
Murray, who died at Miami Valley Hospital, was shot in front of her 2-year-old child and her 2-year-old nephew. A candlelight vigil was held for her earlier this week outside the home where she was wounded.
On Saturday, the teen suspect denied a charge of murder and felony burglary at hearing in Montgomery County Juvenile Court.
The teen will appear in court for a preliminary conference on the morning of March 9 before Juvenile Court Judge Anthony Capizzi. Police said the suspect was taken into custody after being found at a residence on Gard Avenue in Dayton.
The suspect has a fairly lengthy criminal record , according to juvenile court officials.
The suspect successfully completed about three months of probation on about Jan. 25 related to a misdemeanor theft charge in Greene County, juvenile court officials said.
Court officials previously said he had been in trouble before on charges that include delinquency by reason of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.
He served probation in 2013 related to an attempted burglary charge. In 2015, he was given probation again, with a suspended commitment to the state juvenile correctional system, after another burglary charge. Both charges were felonies.
In addition to the murder charge, the suspect faces a pending felony-level burglary charge.
Janice Meadows, who has lived on Lorenz Avenue for 30 years, called 911 on Feb. 16 after hearing gunshots outside.
“I knew the gunshots were close from how loud it was,” she said. “I thought someone was shooting toward my house — it sounded that close.”
Meadows lives a couple doors down from where Murray was shot. Murray moved into the rental home around the end of summer, she said.
“We’re really sorry we didn’t have time to get to know them,” she said. “It’s such a tragedy.”
Meadows says it’s a safe neighborhood because the residents know each other and most have lived there for many years.
Sometimes, she said, small groups of people hang out on the streets or corners, but neighbors will call the police if there’s too much activity.