Pizza parlor in Alaska helps family of Las Vegas shooting victim

Published: Saturday, October 07, 2017 @ 4:18 AM

Pizza sold at a record pace at the Moose's Tooth in Anchorage, Alaska.
Seth McConnell/Denver Post via Getty Images
Pizza sold at a record pace at the Moose's Tooth in Anchorage, Alaska.(Seth McConnell/Denver Post via Getty Images)

A pizza parlor in Alaska has raised some record-setting dough to help the family of an employee whose mother was killed in last week’s mass shooting in Las Vegas, KTVA reported.

>> Read more trending news

The Moose’s Tooth in Anchorage had record sales Friday night as it donated $5 of every pizza sold to the family of Dorene Anderson. The 49-year-old was killed Sunday night during the Route 91 Harvest country music festival outside Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas when a gunman opened fire from a hotel window.

As of Friday night, more than 2,400 pizzas have been sold at Moose’s Tooth, KTVA reported. The pizzeria’s previous record was 2,164.

>> Las Vegas shooting: Remembering the victims

Moose’s Tooth customer service manager Megan McBride said the record sales reflected the community’s compassion for Anderson and her family.

“You know, I think Dorene was the highlight of everybody’s life,” McBride told KTVA. “Just like her daughter, she was a bastion of cheerfulness. And I think the turnout tonight represents just how many people and how many lives she touched.”

Thank you everyone for your patience today! It's a busier day than normal because we're donating a portion of all pizza...

Posted by Moose's Tooth on Friday, October 6, 2017

‘Underwear bomber’ sues US government over treatment in prison

Published: Saturday, October 21, 2017 @ 1:22 AM

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab was convicted in 2012.
U.S. Marshals Office
Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab was convicted in 2012.(U.S. Marshals Office)

The “underwear bomber” has filed legal briefs against the United States government, protesting his treatment in federal prison.

>> Read more trending news

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab of Nigeria, who is serving life sentences after his conviction for his failed attempted to set off a bomb on an international flight near Detroit in 2009, filed a lawsuit Wednesday against the Federal Bureau of Prisons and Attorney General Jeff Sessions, CBS News reported.

Abdulmutallab cited violations of his First, Fifth and Eighth Amendment rights, and claims his rights also were violated under the Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993.

On Christmas Day in 2009, Abdulmutallab tried to blow up an international flight -- with a bomb sewn into his underwear -- bound from Amsterdam to Detroit on behalf of al Qaeda, Reuters reported. He had called his attempt part of his “religious duty” as a Muslim to wage jihad against the United States.

Abdulmutallab, 30, who has been in federal custody since the failed bombing attempt, is serving four terms of life imprisonment plus 50 years, The Denver Post reported. He was convicted in 2012 on charges including attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction on a commercial airliner. The Northwest Airlines flight had 289 passengers on board.

In a lawsuit filed in a Colorado federal court Wednesday, Abdulmutallab said authorities in a maximum security prison were violating his constitutional rights by holding him in long-term solitary confinement under Special Administrative Measures (SAMs), CBS News reported.

According to the complaint, “The SAMs imposed on Mr. Abdulmutallab prohibit him from having any communication whatsoever with more than 7.5 billion people, the vast majority of people on the planet.”

Abdulmutallab’s SAMs “severely restrict his ability to practice his religion,” the complaint alleges. Abdulmutallab, a Muslim, is not allowed to “participate in group prayer.”

The lawsuit accused the staff at the United States Penitentiary-Administrative Maximum Facility in Florence, Colorado of repeatedly force feeding Abdulmutallab during a hunger strike using “excessively and unnecessarily painful” methods, Reuters reported.

White supremacist inmates were also permitted to harass him during prayer times, according to the lawsuit.

“Prisoners retain fundamental constitutional rights to communicate with others and have family relationships free from undue interference by the government,” Abdulmutallab’s attorney, Gail Johnson, said in a statement to the New York Times.

“The restrictions imposed on our client are excessive and unnecessary, and therefore we seek the intervention of the federal court.”

Massachusetts man arrested for dragging badly beaten dog

Published: Saturday, October 21, 2017 @ 1:40 AM

Pit bull.
AFP Contributor/AFP/Getty Images
Pit bull.(AFP Contributor/AFP/Getty Images)

A Massachusetts man accused of beating a dog so severely it was coughing blood and limping was arrested for animal cruelty, authorities said. 

>> Read more trending news

Police say, Mark Rodney Hurd, 22, of Everett left the dog in critical condition Friday. Officers said they arrived at a home to find Hurd dragging the pit bull down the driveway after the abuse had been reported to them. 

“It's extremely disappointing to see this type of violence perpetrated on an animal especially a domesticated pet,” Everett police Chief Steven Mazzie said. “The Everett Police Department takes these cases seriously and would like to remind the public to report abuse of this type if they witness it.”

Neighbors said the dog, Chance, is “docile and friendly.” Others said they were awakened Friday morning by the commotion at the house. 

Chance was rushed to a veterinary hospital for emergency treatment, police said.

Hurd is being held without bail as the abuse charges have been added onto a probation violation. 

Court: Cross shaped monument honoring WWI vets ruled unconstitutional

Published: Saturday, October 21, 2017 @ 5:06 AM

An Eternal Flame monument dedicated to World War I casualties.
Harvey Meston/Getty Images
An Eternal Flame monument dedicated to World War I casualties.(Harvey Meston/Getty Images)

A 40-foot Latin cross-shaped monument in Maryland, built nearly a century ago to honor soldiers who died during World War I, has been ruled unconstitutional by a federal appeals court, CNN reported

>> Read more trending news

The 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Wednesday by a 2-1 margin that the 92-year-old structure was in violation of the First Amendment because it is on public land at a busy intersection in Prince George's County and is maintained with government funds. The court's decision does not address whether the monument should be removed or modified.

The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission and the American Legion, who were named as defendants in the case, argued that the cross had a nonreligious purpose “does not have the primary effect of endorsing religion.”

But the appeals court in Richmond, Virginia, sided 2-1 with the American Humanist Association, an organization that advocates for secularism and represented several non-Christian residents of Prince George's County.

The memorial was completed in 1925 using contributions from private donors and the American Legion. It was acquired in 1961 by the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission.

If the Supreme Court declines to hear the case, a district court judge would have to decide whether to order the removal of the cross, said David Niose, legal director of the American Humanist Association.

"It's hard to think of remedies other than removal," Niose told CNN, though he said there is the "possibility of modifying the structure."

Honolulu bans smokers in cars when children are present

Published: Saturday, October 21, 2017 @ 5:55 AM

Smoking while driving is now illegal in Honolulu if there are minors in the vehicle.
Heritage Images/Getty Images
Smoking while driving is now illegal in Honolulu if there are minors in the vehicle.(Heritage Images/Getty Images)

Smoking in a car in Honolulu can bring a hefty fine if there are children in the vehicle, KHON reported.

>> Read more trending news

In a unanimous vote Wednesday, the Honolulu City Council passed a bill that would make it illegal to smoke in a vehicle if someone under 18 is in inside. The ban also extends to electronic cigarettes, KHON reported.

First offenders would be fined $100, and the fee jumps to $200 if a smoker is cited within a year. A third offense within a year of the second offense would cost the smoker $500, KHON reported. 

The ticket would be issued to the person smoking in the vehicle.

Lila Johnson, program manager for tobacco prevention at the Department of Health, says youths are the most vulnerable to be exposed to secondhand smoke.

“It is probably 10 times as toxic as it is to be sitting inside a smoky bar for a child to be sitting inside a confined unit exposed to secondhand smoke,” Johnson said.

Health officials said drivers are permitted to smoke as long as there are no minor in the vehicle, KHON reported.