CLOSINGS AND DELAYS:

Anna Local Schools, Benjamin Logan Local Schools, Botkins Local Schools, Celina Schools, Christian Academy-Sidney, Coldwater Exem Village, Fairlawn Local, Fort Loramie Local Schools, Fort Recovery Local Schools, Graham Local Schools, Hardin-Houston Local, Jackson Center Local School Dist., Lehman High School, Marion Local Schools, Miami East Schools, Minster Local Schools, New Bremen Schools, New Knoxville Schools, Russia Local School, Senior Center of Sidney/Shelby Co., Shelby Hills E.C.C, Sidney City Schools, Sidney Holy Angels, St. Henry Local Schools, St. Marys City Schools,

Oregon elementary school bans Halloween costumes during school hours

Published: Friday, October 06, 2017 @ 1:31 AM

Elementary School Bans Halloween Costumes During School

Citing a desire to respect religious and/or cultural beliefs, an Oregon elementary school has banned Halloween costumes during the school day this year, KPTV reported.

>> Read more trending news

Scholls Heights Elementary in Beaverton sent an email Wednesday afternoon to parents that explained the school’s decision to prohibit children from dressing up in costumes until they leave the school building.

Principal Monique Singleton wrote in the email that the decision was made after “we heard appreciation and support from many families last year when we canceled the Costume Parade because they finally felt their religious and/or cultural beliefs were welcome and being respected. Some shared that in prior years they had opted to keep their child home rather than their child be teased or made to feel uncomfortable for having to choose between their family's beliefs and the school's activities during the school day.”

Another reason was because “teachers overwhelmingly feel that the time lost from instruction caused by costumes is too valuable when they already do many other community-building activities throughout their classrooms.”

Parents like Nicole Lewis said children look forward to the yearly tradition and it's not fair it's being taken away.

"It's important for the kids to stay motivated and have some fun things to look forward to, and just to have them, you know, be able to let loose a little,” Lewis told KPTV. “I think really Halloween is about promoting imagination and creativity and having a little fun, and I just don't think there's anything wrong with that.”

Instead of allowing costumes, Scholls Heights Elementary will stage a “Crazy Sock Day” on Halloween, KPTV reported.

The Spooky History of Halloween

Newtown marks fifth anniversary of deadly Sandy Hook shooting

Published: Thursday, December 14, 2017 @ 7:12 AM

Thursday marks the five-year anniversary of the deadly mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.

On Dec. 14, 2012, Adam Lanza, 20, first shot and killed his mother, then went to the school, opened fire and killed 20 children and six staff members before killing himself.

>> PHOTOS: Scenes from Sandy Hook

According to the Hartford Courant, the town is paying tribute to the victims this year with a temporary exhibit featuring photos of the students and educators who were killed in the shooting.

“We ask that you spend a few minutes in quiet reflection as we remember the lives of these vibrant young children and caring adults who were part of the essence of this community as students, educators and friends,” reads a sign at the exhibit. “All of those so tragically killed on that day were greatly loved by their families and friends and they continue to be loved and missed every day.”

The exhibit will be on display through Friday, WTIC reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Additionally, town offices will closed for a moment of silent reflection from 9:30 to 9:45 a.m. Wednesday. Trinity Church will also host an interfaith service at 7 p.m., and St. Rose Church will hold a mass at 7:30 p.m., according to WTIC.

Earlier this week, Sandy Hook Promise, a nonprofit group created by parents of two of the victims, released a public service announcement urging people to become familiar with the warning signs leading up to mass shootings.

>> Watch the PSA here

Gun range patron shot, killed by employee in freak accident

Published: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 @ 2:07 PM

Texas Man Accidentally Killed At Gun Range

An employee of a gun range in Texas accidentally shot and killed a patron as he worked on a rifle Tuesday morning, police said. 

The patron, Joshua Luke Cummings, 36, of Cypress, had just exited his vehicle in the parking lot of Hot Wells Gun Range when a bullet struck him in the head, KTRK in Houston reported. He was flown to Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center, where he died.

Harris County Sheriff’s Office officials told the news station that an employee was working on a hunting rifle inside the building when it accidentally discharged.

“The bullet went through the wall of the small range house and struck a patron who was walking through the parking lot,” Harris County Senior Deputy Thomas Gilliland told the news station

It was not immediately clear why the rifle was loaded while the employee handled it. KTKR reported that homicide investigators were looking into whether it was human error or a gun malfunction that caused the gun to fire. 

Cummings’ Facebook page shows that he was the father of three young children. Heartbroken friends said the Cummings children are triplets. 

YouCaring fundraiser page was established to help his wife, Kathleen, and their children. As of noon Wednesday, the page had raised nearly $10,000 of the $25,000 goal. 

“Josh Cummings has always been an amazing father, faithful, hardworking husband completely devoted to his faith, family and friends,” one woman wrote on Facebook. “Until we meet again, goodbye, our sweet friend.”

Hot Wells officials apologized in a statement that they said would be brief because they “simply do not have the words to express the sorrow in (their) hearts.”

“For 44 years, we have operated this facility accident-free, yet today, we are shaken by tragedy,” the statement read

They said that they would have no comment on the details of the accident while the investigation was ongoing. 

“We understand that this accident has, and will continue to affect the lives of many,” the statement read. “We ask that our community joins us in prayer for the healing of all parties involved.”

Newtown marks fifth anniversary of deadly Sandy Hook shooting

Published: Thursday, December 14, 2017 @ 6:02 AM

Thursday marks the five-year anniversary of the deadly mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.

On Dec. 14, 2012, Adam Lanza, 20, first shot and killed his mother, then went to the school, opened fire and killed 20 children and six staff members before killing himself.

>> PHOTOS: Scenes from Sandy Hook

According to the Hartford Courant, the town is paying tribute to the victims this year with a temporary exhibit featuring photos of the students and educators who were killed in the shooting.

“We ask that you spend a few minutes in quiet reflection as we remember the lives of these vibrant young children and caring adults who were part of the essence of this community as students, educators and friends,” reads a sign at the exhibit. “All of those so tragically killed on that day were greatly loved by their families and friends and they continue to be loved and missed every day.”

The exhibit will be on display through Friday, WTIC reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Additionally, town offices will closed for a moment of silent reflection from 9:30 to 9:45 a.m. Wednesday. Trinity Church will also host an interfaith service at 7 p.m., and St. Rose Church will hold a mass at 7:30 p.m., according to WTIC.

Earlier this week, Sandy Hook Promise, a nonprofit group created by parents of two of the victims, released a public service announcement urging people to become familiar with the warning signs leading up to mass shootings.

>> Watch the PSA here

Prince Harry, Meghan Markle to spend holidays with royal family

Published: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 @ 4:58 PM

WATCH: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle First Engagement Interview

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly breaking tradition again with their holiday plans. Kensington Palace confirmed that the former “Suits” star will be spending the holidays with her soon-to-be in-laws at Queen Elizabeth’s private estate in Norfolk, England.

“You can expect to see the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry and Ms. Markle at Sandringham on Christmas Day,” a spokesperson for the palace  told “Entertainment Tonight”.

>> Read more trending news

This reportedly is breaking royal protocol, as the royal family typically reserves holiday invitations to the Sandringham House for after an engaged couple has wed. The royal family usually spends the holidays at that estate but last year skipped the trip, after the queen and Prince Philip both caught colds.

“The Queen and members of the Royal Family will attend the Morning Service on Christmas Day at Sandringham Church,” Buckingham Palace said in a statement.

Royal Love: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle

It was previously reported that the couple would be hosted by Prince William and wife Duchess Catherine for Christmas and would stay at their home in Norfolk. On Christmas Day, the family will attend the church service together before lunch.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are planning for a May wedding at St. George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle. Following the “I do’s,” they will settle into their new home at Nottingham Cottage in Kensington Palace, where they will be next-door neighbors with Prince William, Duchess Catherine, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and their baby number three, who’s due in April.