Ohio State to decide on white supremacist’s speaking request this week

Published: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 @ 8:21 AM
Updated: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 @ 8:25 AM


            FILE - In this Nov. 18, 2016, file photo, Richard Spencer attends a white nationalist and Alt-right conference in Washington. (Linda Davidson/The Washington Post via AP)
FILE - In this Nov. 18, 2016, file photo, Richard Spencer attends a white nationalist and Alt-right conference in Washington. (Linda Davidson/The Washington Post via AP)

Ohio State University is set to make a final decision this week on whether it will allow a prominent white supremacist to speak on campus.

In September, Richard Spencer, president of the white supremacist think tank the National Policy Institute, was denied space to speak on campus this fall, the university said. But, after an attorney for Spencer threatened to file a lawsuit, Ohio State officials said they would consider alternatives for the request.

RELATED: Wright State again planning to cut swimming and diving teams after this season

OSU senior vice president and general counsel Christopher Culley sent a letter to Spencer’s attorney notifying him of ongoing deliberations at the university. Kyle Bristow, an attorney who describes himself as a member of the “alt-right,” has threatened to file lawsuits against Ohio State if the university did not allow Spencer space to speak.

“The university has reviewed this request and has determined that this request cannot be accommodated without substantial risk to public safety,” OSU’s Culley wrote in an Oct. 13 letter to Bristow. “However, the university is currently considering other alternatives.”

In the letter, Culley told Bristow that Ohio State officials would be in touch by the end of this week on a final decision. Besides releasing the letter, an Ohio State spokesman said officials have declined to comment further at this time.

RELATED: White nationalist threatens to sue Ohio State, UC if they don’t let him speak

A representative for Spencer had originally requested rental space for the white supremacist to speak at Ohio State between Oct. 12 and Oct. 26. Ohio State cited safety concerns in its original denial of the request, issued last month.

Bristow had also threatened to file a lawsuit against the University of Cincinnati but on Friday, UC president Neville Pinto sent out a campus-wide email stating that Spencer would be allowed to visit.

“As a state institution, we must adhere to the foundational rights embedded in the First Amendment. That includes protecting speech of all types at all times—even, perhaps especially, words that are blatantly hateful or offensive,” Pinto wrote. “After all, we cannot silence those with whom we disagree without opening the doors to our own voices being silenced by those who disagree with us.”

RELATED: Area college students remain mostly white, wealthy

Spencer is also known as having been one of the organizers of August’s “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville that descended into violence.

He has been denied requests for space to speak at Penn State University, the University of Florida and at Michigan State University. After Michigan State denied Spencer’s speaking request, his event organizer filed a lawsuit against the school in United States District Court

FIVE FAST READS

What were those loud booms heard from Wright Patt Air Force Base?

UD Marriott drops lawsuit against Wright State for canceled rooms

JCPenney to hire 1,600 Ohio workers for holiday jobs on the spot today

Ohio colleges see increase in reports of rape and sexual assaults

Trending - Most Read Stories

Neon sign sparks small fire outside Quincy’s in Dayton

Published: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 4:58 AM
Updated: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 5:16 AM

A neon sign caught fire outside of the restaurant at 865 North Main Street around 3:30 a.m., according to our first responder.

A neon sign caught fire early this morning outside Quincy’s restaurant.

Crews were called around 3:30 a.m. to 865 N. Main St. The road was closed at Miami Boulevard for a few hours as Dayton fire crews were on scene.

>>17-year-old arrested in death of Dayton mother shot in front of 2 children

Trending - Most Read Stories

Flood watch, heavy rain throughout the day

Published: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 5:32 AM
Updated: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 1:00 PM

Heavy rain will increase the flooding threat today. Storms tonight may produce damaging winds.

A Flood Watch is in effect through 10 a.m. Sunday for the entire region.

QUICK-LOOK FORECAST

  • Strong to severe storms possible tonight
  • Threat for isolated damaging winds and flooding
  • Additional 1 to 3 inches of rain possible through Sunday morning

>> Weekend brings more rain, threat for strong storms

5 Day Forecast with Meteorologist McCall Vrydaghs

Today: Rain may be heavy at times, especially toward the evening. A few thunderstorms are possible in the evening and overnight. Isolated damaging winds and flooding will be the main threat tonight. Rainfall amounts of 1 inch to 3 inches will be possible by Sunday morning. Temperatures will rise into the lower to middle 50s into the evening, then will fall late tonight as a cold front passes.

>> Great Miami River expected to crest this weekend; where will flooding occur?

Sunday: Any rain early will end quickly then clouds linger. Flooding still possible as rivers and streams continue to rise. Highs will be in the lower 50s and it will be windy at times. There will be gradually decreasing clouds through the night and chilly with temperatures falling into the lower 30s. Watch for isolated slick spots late with any leftover standing water. 

Monday: There will be a lot of sunshine and mild with highs in the lower 50s.

Tuesday: There will be mostly sunny skies with mild temperatures in the upper 50s.

Wednesday: Clouds return with the chance for showers. Highs will top out near 60 degrees.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Red Cross says 21 staffers paid for sexual service in past 3 years

Published: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 9:57 AM

Red Cross: 21 Staffers Paid for Sexual Service in Last 3 Years

A member of the International Committee of the Red Cross said that in the past three years, 21 staff members have resigned or were fired for “paying for sexual services,” CNN reported.

>> Read more trending news

Two other staff members suspected of sexual misconduct also did not have their contracts renewed, according to Yves Daccord, director general of the ICRC.

"This behavior is a betrayal of the people and the communities we are there to serve. It is against human dignity and we should have been more vigilant in preventing this," Daccord said.

Daccord said staffers are required to adhere to the ICRC’s code of conduct, which bans paying for sexual services. The organization has more than 1,700 staff members worldwide, CNN reported.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Man found dead on neighbor’s property in Warren County

Published: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 10:33 AM

The death of a 62-year old man found dead Friday morning on his neighbor’s property is not considered suspicious.

Neighbors found the man between 10:30 and 11 a.m. in the 800 block of North Nixon Road in Turtlecreek Twp., Lt. Shaun Embleton of Warren County Sheriff’s Office said. 

>>Flood watch, advisory in effect; heavy rain throughout the day

The name of the deceased man was not released Saturday, pending notification of family.

An autopsy is scheduled to be performed and the death is not considered suspicious at this time, Embleton said.

Trending - Most Read Stories