log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Wednesday, January 03, 2018 @ 1:00 PM
The attorneys general of 49 states and Washington, D.C., reached a multi-million-dollar settlement with a mortgage lender accused of improperly servicing loans.
PHH Mortgage Corporation of New Jersey agreed to a $45-million settlement with the attorneys general of all but one state and more than 40 state mortgage regulators, according to a press release from Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine’s office.
DeWine, who is running for the Republican nomination for Ohio governor, was one of the 49 attorneys general PHH settled with.
More than $30 million of the settlement has been designated for payments to affected borrowers, and about 2,000 Ohio borrowers are expected to qualify for payments totaling more than $1.2 million, according to DeWine’s office.
Borrowers who were subjected to PHH foreclosures during the eligible period will qualify for a minimum $840 payment, while eligible borrowers who faced PHH-initiated foreclosures but did not lose their home will qualify to receive a minimum $285 payment, according to the Ohio AG.
Elligible recipients will be contacted by a settlement administrator.
Published: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 @ 2:14 PM
Anchorage, Alaska — A 7.9 magnitude earthquake off the coast of Alaska forced families to evacuate their homes last night around 4:30 a.m. local time.
News Center 7’s Lauren Clark spoke with a Tipp City native who is now living in Anchorage and felt the effects of the quake in her home.
“The bed started to move a little bit, and I looked over at my doorway and the door was swinging,” said Miami Valley native Katherine Krupa.
Krupa moved to Alaska three years ago with her husband who is an army Lieutenant General.
When my husband said, "Oh, we're going to Alaska.” “I just never thought about earthquakes,” stated Krupa.
Krupa has since learned that earthquakes are a regular occurrence in Alaska, which is located in the Ring of Fire.
The Krupa’s home was not damaged, but friends of theirs were forced to leave their home and seek higher ground after Tsunami warnings.
Lauren Clark’s full interview with the Tipp City native will be on News Center 7 beginning at 5 p.m.
Published: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 @ 1:31 PM
— The woman who many believe empowered housewives to leave their kitchens and enter the workplace left empty when men went to fight in World War II has died.
Naomi Parker Fraley was discovered in 2015 to have been the inspiration for the “Rosie the Riveter” poster tha decades earlier had become the symbol in which women realized “We Can Do It.”
Fraley was a factory worker at Alameda Naval Station when a photographer asked to take her photo. With her hair in a bandana, just like the poster, Fraley is believed to be the starting point for the artist’s representation of women taking over what had been a men’s world, CNN reported.
Fraley was only 20 years old and was working with her 18-year-old sister at the time of the war, KATU reported.
She realized it was her photo that helped started the movement during a convention of women WWII factory workers. Her photo was labeled as the poster’s inspiration. Originally the photo was identified as that of Geraldine Hoff Doyle, but years of research confirmed in 2015 it was Fraley in the photo instead, CNN reported.
The man who made the identification, Dr. James Kimble, said of Fraley, “She didn't’ think she did anything special. A lot of women did what she did. She just wanted her picture corrected,” CNN reported.
Fraley died in Longview, Washington, Saturday, the BBC reported. She was 96.
Published: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 @ 8:05 AM
— Local employers like CareSource and Assurant will be recruiting in Springfield this Friday.
CareSource Life Services is holding a job fair 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday at the Faith United Methodist Church at 102 W. High St.
RELATED: Dayton Children’s plans career fair
Life coaching, job readiness training and resume support will be available.
Some of the employers who will be there include:
Ohio State Highway Patrol
The Greentree Group
Published: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 @ 9:39 AM
Updated: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 @ 1:47 PM
BENTON, Ky. — Two teenagers died Tuesday morning after a 15-year-old student at Kentucky’s Marshall County High School opened fire on campus, authorities said at a news conference.
Officials did not identify the suspected shooter, who police said walked into the school just before 8 a.m., armed with a handgun. He shot 14 people before being stopped by a deputy with the Marshall County Sheriff’s Office, according to Kentucky State Police.
He was in police custody on Tuesday afternoon. State Police Commissioner Rick Sanders said he will likely face charges of murder and attempted murder.
“It’s a tragic day for all of us,” Sanders said. “I would just assure you of one thing: We in law enforcement will do our job and do it well, and we will pray for the families that are affected.”
Gov. Matt Bevin said a total of 19 people were injured in Tuesday’s attack, 14 of which were shot. Five other people suffered unspecified, non-gunshot related injuries, he said.
Authorities found a 15-year-old student dead at the scene of the shooting when they arrived just after 8 a.m. A second victim, a 15-year-old male, died at a hospital, Bevin said.
Earlier Tuesday, Bevin called the shooting "a tremendous tragedy" in a statement posted on Twitter.
"It is unbelievable that this would happen in a small, close-knit community like Marshall County," he said. "As there is still so much unknown, I encourage people to love on each other at this time. Do not speculate, but come alongside each other in support and allow the facts to come out."
A statement from Gov. Bevin regarding this morning's events in Marshall County: pic.twitter.com/0n0cxgJkvi— Governor Matt Bevin (@GovMattBevin) January 23, 2018