Ohio near bottom of state health rankings

Published: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 @ 1:42 AM
Updated: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 @ 1:42 AM

Ohio moved up one spot from last year to No. 35 on America’s Health Rankings annual list of the healthiest states despite continuing to rank high for unhealthy habits and conditions, including obesity, lack of exercise and smoking.

Despite a statewide smoking ban, about 25 percent of the adult population — or 2.2 million people — still smokes, compared to about 21 percent nationally, according to the report published Tuesday by the United Health Foundation, American Public Health Association and Partnership for Prevention.

The report also found about 30 percent of adult Ohioans are obese, compared to about 28 percent of adults nationally. And more than a quarter (27 percent) of adult Ohioans reported doing no physical activity or exercise other than their regular job in the past month, compared to 26 percent of adults nationwide.

“The rankings are relative to other states, so even if a state doesn’t show specific improvements, if other states do worse, their ranking may still improve,” explained Lauren Mihajlov, a spokeswoman for the United Health Foundation.

Perhaps even more disturbing than the general health findings were the high mortality levels reported in the Buckeye State. Ohio’s rankings ranged from No. 36 to No. 43 for infant mortality deaths, cardiovascular deaths and premature deaths, according to the report.

Tessie Pollock, a spokeswoman for the Ohio Department of Health, said the report underscores the need for a “holistic” approach to improving public health by addressing not only the immediate health care needs of the population but also economic and educational needs that can contribute to poor health.

Ohio improved its spending on public health from $45 per person last year to $51 per person this year, according to the report, although it still ranks Ohio 43rd nationally.
“We’re always trying to improve,” Pollock said.

“While this report looks at a lot of different determinants ... we at the department of health are really trying to take a coordinated approach to address the whole health of an individual.”

A healthy populace, and therefore a healthy workforce, is also key to a vibrant economy, said John Bowblis, a health economist at Miami University.

“We want a healthy workforce for a few reasons,” Bowblis said. “Unhealthy lifestyles can lead to increased health care costs and higher (insurance) premiums. Having a healthy workforce lowers the average premium and makes Ohio more attractive, economically, for firms to invest in.”

Ohio already fares better than most other states when it comes to health insurance.

More than 92 percent of Ohio children ages 19 to 35 months have immunization coverage, ranking 13th among all states. And about 14 percent of adults lack any health insurance at all, placing Ohio No. 21 in the state rankings.

For overall health, Vermont topped the list of healthiest states this year for the fourth year in a row. Rounding out the top five were Hawaii, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Minnesota.

Mississippi and Louisiana, which tied for 49th, along with Arkansas, West Virginia, and South Carolina comprised the five least healthy states, according to the rankings.


Contact this reporter at 937-225-2437 or email Randy.Tucker@coxinc.com.

Monica Lewinsky rips Roger Ailes for launching 'culture of exploitation'

Published: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 1:30 AM

Monica Lewinsky penned an op-ed piece in the New York Times ripping former Fox News chairman Roger Ailes, who died last week.

She opened her piece by saying her words are not meant to be another obituary for Ailes, but "I hope, instead, an obituary for the culture he purveyed — a culture that affected me profoundly and personally,” she wrote.

>> Former Fox News CEO Roger Ailes dead at 77

She continued, “Just two years after Rupert Murdoch appointed Mr. Ailes to head the new cable news network, my relationship with President Bill Clinton became public. Mr. Ailes, a former Republican political operative, took the story of the affair and the trial that followed and made certain his anchors hammered it ceaselessly, 24 hours a day.”

>> Medical examiner: Roger Ailes' death was accidental

She emphasized that their tactic worked like a charm. The Clinton-Lewinsky scandal hooked viewers as it unraveled, turning casual viewers into Fox loyalists. Fox cemented itself as the No. 1 news station, where it has remained for the last 15 years. Lewinsky also said that last year, the network made about $2.3 billion.

Lewinsky called it “a culture of exploitation,” and she railed on the environment fostered at Fox News and other cable news networks that use titillating stories to drive ratings.

"Their dream was my nightmare. My character, my looks and my life were picked apart mercilessly,” Lewinsky wrote. “Truth and fiction mixed at random in the service of higher ratings. My family and I huddled at home, worried about my going to jail — I was the original target of Kenneth Starr’s investigation, threatened with 27 years for having been accused of signing a false affidavit and other alleged crimes — or worse, me taking my own life. Meantime, Mr. Ailes huddled with his employees at Fox News, dictating a lineup of talking heads to best exploit this personal and national tragedy."

>> Read more trending news

Lewinsky said the firing of Ailes after sexual harassment allegations, and more recently the firing of disgraced former Fox News ratings king Bill O’Reilly following multiple sexual harassment allegations and some $13 million in settlements paid to women, shows that Fox News’ culture extended beyond the ratings game.

“The irony of Mr. Ailes’s career at Fox — that he harnessed a sex scandal to build a cable juggernaut and then was brought down by his own — was not lost on anyone who has been paying attention,” Lewinsky wrote.

2 arrested, 1 on the run after pursuit through Moraine and Kettering

Published: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 12:31 AM
Updated: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 2:10 AM

Staff Photo

UPDATE @ 2:10 a.m. 

Two juveniles are in custody and a third person is on the run after they fled from a car involved in a pursuit through parts of Moraine and Kettering. 

>> Read the latest local stories in the Miami Valley 

Around 12:15 a.m. Wednesday, a Moraine officer observed a wrong-way driver on South Dixie Drive at the intersection with Dorothy Lane, Moraine police Sgt. Chris Selby said. 

Selby said the Moraine officer attempted to pull the vehicle over for a traffic stop, but the vehicle refused to stop and continued traveling northbound in the southbound lanes of South Dixie Drive.

The officer started a pursuit, but determined it was too dangerous, and ended the chase, Selby said.
Kettering police located the vehicle moments after the Moraine officer terminated his chase, and pursued the vehicle until it crashed into a dead end on Heritage Point Drive. 

Three occupants of the vehicle ran from the scene. Initial reports indicated one juvenile was arrested shortly after the pursuit ended, while the second juvenile was located and arrested a few minutes later on South Patterson Boulevard near Carillon Park. 

RELATED: Miami Valley’s Most Wanted

MORE: Latest bookings in the Montgomery County Jail

Selby said a K9 officer from the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office responded and attempted to track the third suspect but was unsuccessful. 

Selby said the vehicle was later determined to be stolen from Harrison Twp. 

Additional details were not available. 

FIRST REPORT

Police are looking for multiple occupants that fled from a vehicle after a police pursuit through parts of Moraine and Kettering early Wednesday morning. 

A Moraine officer attempted to stop a vehicle he observed traveling north in the southbound lanes on South Dixie Drive around 12:15 a.m., according to police scanner traffic. 

Three people were observed by both Kettering and Moraine officers fleeing from the vehicle after it came to a stop near Heritage Point Drive in Kettering. 

Initial reports indicate one person was taken into custody shortly after the vehicle stopped. A second person was located and taken into custody on South Patterson Boulevard near Carillon Park. 

We’re monitoring this developing story and will update this page as new details become available. 

For updates and more news click here to download our free apps.

Overheating equipment blamed for small house fire in Oakwood

Published: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 11:37 PM
Updated: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 12:05 AM

UPDATE @ 12:05 a.m. 

A house recently purchased and currently under renovation suffered ‘very minor’ damage after a piece of equipment overheated. 

Firefighters said a floor sander overheated and filled the house with smoke, but only damaged a small portion of a floor. 

No injuries were reported.  

FIRST REPORT

Firefighters have responded to a report of a house fire on Orchard Drive in Oakwood late Tuesday night. 

>> Read the latest local stories in the Miami Valley 

Crews from Oakwood and Kettering were dispatched to the house in the 200 block of Orchard Drive around 11:25 p.m. for an initial report of a smell of smoke in the area. 

Scanner traffic from the scene indicates firefighters kicked open a door and found heavy smoke conditions inside. 

Officials told our crew they believe the house is vacant and no one is inside. 

We have a crew on the way and we’ll update this page as new details become available. 

For updates and more news click here to download our free apps.

Deceased Dayton boy once claimed he was molested by school janitor

Published: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 4:39 PM

The Dayton mother accused of shooting and killing two of her children said she did it to “save them from the evils of the world,” according to court documents.

Claudena Helton’s children, Khmorra, 8, and Kaiden, 6, died Sunday at Dayton Children’s Hospital.

Those court documents do not shed light on what Claudena Helton meant by the statement.

FULL STORY: Father of dead Dayton child had been looking for sonMother told police she shot kids to ‘save them from the evils of the world’ 

But a Trotwood police report obtained by this news organization states that her 6-year-old son claimed to have been the victim of a sexually related offense at his school last winter. Legal authorities said this week that the complaint was investigated and charges were refused by prosecutors because of insufficient evidence.

In February, Trotwood police opened an investigation after Kaiden said he was touched inappropriately by a school janitor, and that the janitor sexually pleasured himself in front of Kaiden, according to a Feb. 14 police report. Kaiden was a student at Mother Brunner Catholic School, 4870 Denlinger Road.

PHOTOS: Police respond to shooting scene, neighbors react

Spokesman Dan Andriacco said the Archdiocese of Cincinnati first heard about the case when police came to the school to investigate a complaint made by Claudena Helton.

“The janitor was immediately put on leave until the police resolve this,” Andriacco said Monday. He said the worker is “a longtime employee.”

RELATED: Dayton chief after 2 kids shot in head: ‘This is one of the toughest’

This news organization could not reach the uncharged employee, whose name was not listed in the police report nor provided by the school.

The principal of Mother Brunner received an email Monday from an investigator in the Montgomery County prosecutor’s office saying they’re not going forward with the case, Andriacco said.

Trotwood police Capt. Dan Heath said charges in the case were refused on the first presentation to the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office because of insufficient evidence.

The boy’s claim also was being reviewed by CARE House and children services. Representatives of all the groups were supposed to meet with Claudena Helton last week to discuss how and whether to proceed, Heath said, but the meeting had to be rescheduled because not everyone could attend. Their meeting was rescheduled for Monday, but that meeting did not take place since Helton now is incarcerated, Heath said.

RELATED: Dayton mom who police say shot her children had volatile relationships

“There will be a debriefing about what course, if any, to take on this,” Heath said.

The case is not officially closed, Heath said.

Andriacco said all archdiocesan employees are vetted when hired. He said there were no sex offenses or offenses involving children in the janitor’s past.

“I don’t see any reason why (the janitor) would not return,” Andriacco said. “It’s always been the expectation that as soon as this was cleared away, he’d be returned to service.”