Nissan's profit flat over inspection scandal, legal costs

Published: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 @ 11:48 PM
Updated: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 @ 11:47 PM


            Nissan Chief Executive Hiroto Saikawa bows as Saikawa apologized to customers, dealers, partners and government authorities for the recent faulty inspections scandal, at the start of a press conference in Yokohama, near Tokyo, Wednesday, Nov. 8, 2017. Japanese automaker Nissan Motor Co. is seeing fiscal second-quarter profit slip 3 percent despite growing sales because of costs related to improper vehicle checks in Japan and a massive global air-bag recall in the U.S. Nissan, allied with Renault SA of France, reported Wednesday a July-September profit of 141.6 billion yen ($1.2 billion), down from 146.1 billion yen the same period last year. (Kyodo News via AP)
Nissan Chief Executive Hiroto Saikawa bows as Saikawa apologized to customers, dealers, partners and government authorities for the recent faulty inspections scandal, at the start of a press conference in Yokohama, near Tokyo, Wednesday, Nov. 8, 2017. Japanese automaker Nissan Motor Co. is seeing fiscal second-quarter profit slip 3 percent despite growing sales because of costs related to improper vehicle checks in Japan and a massive global air-bag recall in the U.S. Nissan, allied with Renault SA of France, reported Wednesday a July-September profit of 141.6 billion yen ($1.2 billion), down from 146.1 billion yen the same period last year. (Kyodo News via AP)

TOKYO (AP) — Japanese automaker Nissan Motor Co.'s fiscal second-quarter profit slipped 3 percent despite growing sales because of costs related to improper vehicle checks in Japan and a massive global air-bag recall in the U.S.

The news conference Wednesday announcing the results at the company's Yokohama, Japan headquarters was overshadowed by the scandal over systematic faulty inspections, which surfaced last month. The scandal has resulted in more than a million vehicles being recalled to be checked again in Japan, and has caused some production at all six Nissan plants in Japan to be halted.

Nissan Chief Executive Hiroto Saikawa again bowed deeply, apologizing to customers, dealers, partners and government authorities for the recent faulty inspections scandal.

Nissan has acknowledged unqualified people had been systematically carrying out vehicle checks. Adding to the embarrassment, the company acknowledged that, even after the scandal had surfaced, the dubious checks had continued.

Nissan, allied with Renault SA of France, reported Wednesday a July-September profit of 141.6 billion yen ($1.2 billion), down from 146.1 billion yen the same period last year.

Quarterly sales rose 8.5 percent to 2.89 trillion yen ($25.4 billion).

"We promise to do our utmost to win back people's trust," Saikawa told reporters.

He said production had resumed as of Wednesday at all plants in Japan after the tests had been corrected.

But the third-party investigation that is set to report to the Japanese government, which he had hoped would be ready, will not be completed until next week, he said.

When the report is completed, Saikawa said he hoped to explain to reporters what had been behind the long ongoing illegal tests.

The problem does not affect Nissan vehicles sold outside Japan. Nissan has acknowledged that not enough had been done to ensure inspection staff was aware of inspection requirements.

Also weighing on profit are litigation costs in the U.S. over Takata Corp. air-bag recalls. The auto industry has been rocked by the massive recall that involves some 100 million air-bag inflators worldwide. The defect has been linked to 19 deaths and dozens of injuries.

Takata was forced into bankruptcy amid lawsuits, multimillion-dollar fines and crushing air bag recall costs.

Nissan's Saikawa said order cancellations were coming in by the hundreds in Japan because of the scandal and the production stoppage.

He had been scheduled to outline the company's ambitious strategy over the next several years. But Saikawa barely glossed over the main points for that, appearing more focused on apologizing for the inspections scandal.

___

AP Business Writer Yuri Kageyama can be reached at https://twitter.com/yurikageyama

Her work can be found at https://www.apnews.com/search/yuri%20kageyama

Trump tweets he 'took a pass' at being named Time's person of the year

Published: Saturday, November 25, 2017 @ 1:34 AM

President Donald Trump said he
President Donald Trump said he "took a pass" at being named Time's Person of the Year.(NurPhoto/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

President Donald Trump tweeted Friday that he “took a pass” at being named Time magazine’s “Person of the Year,” but the company’s chief content officer said there “wasn’t a speck of truth” in the president’s social media comment, CNN reported.

>> Read more trending news

“Time Magazine called to say that I was PROBABLY going to be named ‘Man (Person) of the Year’ like last year, but I would have to agree to an interview and a major photo shoot,” Trump tweeted from his Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Florida, where he is spending his Thanksgiving holiday. “I said probably is no good and took a pass. Thanks anyway!” Trump wrote. 

The magazine issued a statement that disputed the President’s tweet, CNN reported.

“The President is incorrect about how we choose Person of the Year. TIME does not comment on our choice until publication, which is December 6,” the magazine wrote on its Twitter feed.

Time Inc.’s chief content officer, Alan Murray, tweeted that the President's tweet didn't have “a speck of truth.”

“Amazing. Not a speck of truth here — Trump tweets he 'took a pass' at being named TIME's person of the year,” Murray tweeted.

The President was named Time’s “person of the year” in 2016 after his victory over Hillary Clinton. 

Florida teen in custody at border, is ‘person of interest’ in grandmother’s death

Published: Saturday, November 25, 2017 @ 1:05 AM

Tyler Logan Mott, left, and his grandmother, Kristina June French, had been missing since Monday, officials said.
ActionNewsJax.com
Tyler Logan Mott, left, and his grandmother, Kristina June French, had been missing since Monday, officials said.(ActionNewsJax.com)

A 15-year-old Florida teen is in custody at the U.S.-Canada border, hours after police discovered the body of a woman believed to be his missing grandmother in a shallow grave near the boy’s home, the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office reported.

Logan Tyler Mott was detained by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection as he tried to enter Canada from Buffalo, New York, sheriff’s deputies said.

The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office had called Mott “armed and dangerous” and a person of interest in the death of his grandmother, 53-year-old Kristina June French.

Mott was being watched by French at her Neptune Beach home while his father, a Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office corrections officer, was on vacation.

Mott’s mother, Carrie Campbell-Mott, said the boy’s father, Eric Mott, was on vacation with his girlfriend. Eric Mott took an Uber home from the airport Wednesday after French never showed up to get them, Campbell-Mott said.

When they got home, the door to their home was open and the house was ransacked, Campbell-Mott said.

Eric Mott's guns were missing from a gun safe, Campbell-Mott said. French’s home in the Mayport area also was ransacked. Her weapons were gone, along with her Dodge Dart.

Mott and French were reported missing after Logan didn't show up to high school on Monday or Tuesday. French also didn't show up for work Monday or Tuesday. A warrant was issued for his arrest Thursday on a charge of auto theft, deputies said.

Originally, deputies believed that Tyler Mott and French may have been traveling together in the Dodge Dart. A missing child alert was issued by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

The teen and the missing vehicle were spotted Thursday on surveillance video in south central Pennsylvania, the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office reported.

In a statement, Campbell-Mott she was “relieved” that her son was in custody.

“We just ask for everyone to give us time to sort out what happened,” Campbell-Mott said. “That no matter what, Logan is our child and we love him and are standing by him to help in any way. We want to find out what happened to Kristina and we need time for that to happen.”

Campbell-Mott said a sheriff’s detective will fly to meet Logan on Saturday.

In a statement, the May Institute, a nonprofit organization that employed French, said it was “truly devastated” to learn of her death.

“Kristina was a friend and a role model to so many people. … She was a true champion for people with disabilities and advocated tirelessly for human rights.

“We have lost a beautiful person and she will be dearly missed. It is a very sad day.”

David Cassidy's daughter reveals what she learned from father’s last words

Published: Friday, November 24, 2017 @ 11:27 PM

Katie Cassidy  (Photo by Michael Tran/FilmMagic)
Michael Tran/FilmMagic
Katie Cassidy (Photo by Michael Tran/FilmMagic)(Michael Tran/FilmMagic)

Days after “The Partridge Family’s” David Cassidy passed away from organ failure, his daughter Katie vowed to make the most out of time with her loved ones as she revealed her late father’s last words.

>> Read more trending news

“Words cant express the solace our family’s received from all the love & support during this trying time,” the actress tweeted on Saturday. “My father’s last words were ‘So much wasted time.’ This will be a daily reminder for me to share my gratitude with those I love as to never waste another minute….thank you.”

The 30-year-old actress had a complicated relationship with her father for most of her life, having been raised by her mother and model Sherry Williams and her stepfather Richard Benedon.

“Because I didn’t raise her, I didn’t have to parent her,” David told PEOPLE in 2009. “I’m always here and totally nonjudgmental. To be able to go to someone I’m genetically linked to, tell them anything and know that they’re not going to judge me -- it’s unbelievable.”

“It’s nice when your dad can be your friend,” Katie echoed her father’s words at the time.

However, the pair drifted apart over the years, and were no longer on speaking terms as of February of this year.

“I wasn’t her father. I was her biological father but I didn’t raise her. She has a completely different life,” David explained. “[But] I’m proud of her. She’s very talented. It’s hard for me to even accept how old she is now.”

The star was hospitalized last weekend for liver and kidney failure. Following his tragic death on Tuesday, his family announced that sad news and thanked fans for their support via a touching statement:

“On behalf of the entire Cassidy family, it is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our father, our uncle, and our dear brother, David Cassidy. David died surrounded by those he loved, with joy in his heart and free from the pain that had gripped him for so long. Thank you for the abundance and support you have shown him these many years.”

Cassidy is survived by his daughter Katie Cassidy; son Beau Cassidy; brothers Shaun, Patrick and Ryan; stepmother Shirley Jones; and numerous nieces, nephews and cousins.

Troopers: Naked couple crashes car while having sex; baby was in back seat

Published: Friday, November 24, 2017 @ 1:25 AM

Washington State Patrol.
David Ryder/Getty Images
Washington State Patrol.(David Ryder/Getty Images)

A naked couple, having sex in their car while their baby was in the back seat, crashed while driving, the Washington State Patrol said.

>> Read more trending news

The man was driving on Highway 7 near La Grande in Pierce County, naked and having sex with a woman who also was naked, when he missed a curve, went off the road and struck a tree, State Patrol spokeswoman Brooke Bova said.

The crash occurred Wednesday at 6 p.m. troopers said.

Witnesses told troopers both the man and woman were naked when they got out of the car, The Everett Herald reported. Troopers said they were also both impaired.

The woman wasn't wearing a seat belt. She was taken to the hospital with several broken bones. The 3-month-old child in the back seat was not injured.

The man was arrested and booked into Pierce County Jail on suspicion of driving under the influence, vehicular assault and child endangerment, the Herald reported.

Troopers said the man has three prior DUI convictions.