Watch Live
Listen to Live

Updated: 4:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 28, 2014 | Posted: 10:07 p.m. Sunday, June 8, 2014

Man critically beaten in June assault dies


Crystal Bittner photo
Crystal Bittner
Harley Farrell photo
Harley Farrell

By Breaking News Staff


UPDATE @ 3:45 p.m.:

The Montgomery County coroner's office confirms felonious assault victim, Ryan Adams, died from blunt force trauma to the head. The manner of Adams' death was ruled a homicide, according to representatives at the coroner's office.

UPDATE @10:50 a.m.:

Police said a 16-year-old male was also arrested for felonious assault following the beating of Ryan Adams on June 8 on Deeds Avenue.

The incident has been investigated as a homicide since the night of the assault because of the seriousness of the injuries, police said. Police plan to meet with prosecutors soon to determine if murder charges will be filed.

The victim was on life support for an extensive period after the assault. Homicide detectives were notified by hospital personnel that his condition had worsened less than 24 hours after the assault occurred.

UPDATE @10:10 a.m.:

A man who was severely beaten June 8 has died.

Ryan Adams, 35, of Clayton, died Wednesday at a nursing home. An autopsy is scheduled for later today, according to the Montgomery County Coroner's Office.

Adams was a victim of a June 8 assault outside a home in the 300 block of Deeds Avenue.

Harley Farrell, 23, was arrested for felonious assault and aggravated robbery following the incident. Crystal Bittner, 23, was arrested for tampering with evidence following the police investigation.

Police said a wallet and Nike shoes were stolen during the assault.


Dayton police detectives on Sunday night investigated the scene of an assault that happened more than 18 hours earlier.

A man is in critical condition after he was apparently severely beaten in the 300 block of Deeds Avenue.

The man, whose name and age have not been released, was taken to Miami Valley Hospital around 1 a.m. Sunday with unspecified injuries. Hospital officials called police around 7 p.m. to report that the man's injuries were severe, and were consistent with a beating.

The Dayton Police Department dispatched its detectives to the 300 block of Deeds Avenue, which was blocked at Hart Street for about four hours Sunday night. Yellow police tape surrounded a section where police were searching for clues and proving for evidence.

It is not clear whether police have a suspect or know what led to the early morning incident.

No further information was available Sunday night.

More News

Featured Articles

iWitness 7



iWitness7 is your chance to join the News Center 7 team! Upload your videos and photos and share with the entire WHIO-TV community!