Watch Live
Listen to Live

Updated: 6:18 p.m. Wednesday, July 16, 2014 | Posted: 2:52 p.m. Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Dayton homicide victim died of blunt force trauma

By Breaking News Staff


The primary suspect in a Dayton woman's murder was released from jail Wednesday because the prosecutor's office needs more evidence to formally charge him.

Tabaree Thompson Shabazz, 41, is accused of killing his ex-girlfriend, 45-year-old Sheila Gibson, inside their East Fourth Street home. He was arrested Sunday after police discovered her body.

Neighbors told officers they hadn't seen Gibson in several days. The Montgomery County Coroner's Office said Wednesday Gibson died from blunt force trauma to the head. She was likely killed late Friday night, officials said.

In an exclusive interview with the newspaper after his release, Shabazz said he didn't kill Gibson, but admitted the two fought prior to her death.

"We got into a little argument and then I left and I ain't come back in like two days," Shabazz said. "I didn't beat her. We hardly even got into it."

Shabazz was released after being held for 48 hours in the Montgomery County Jail. During a meeting between Dayton police and the Montgomery County Prosecutor's Office Tuesday, a three-person panel determined more evidence was needed before formal charges could be filed. Evidence collected at the scene is still being processed, and it could take six weeks to get those results, said spokesman Greg Flannagan.

"The 48 hours was up and the investigation is continuing," he said. "They have to get some lab work results back before they can consider any charges."

Days before Gibson's death, she accused Shabazz of stealing money from her.

On the morning of July 9, Gibson reported to police that she witnessed Shabazz steal her rent money, a $231 money order she'd placed in her mailbox for her landlord. She told officers Shabazz had moved out, and that he'd stolen from her in the past. Shabazz was arrested for theft, and released from jail July 10. While Shabazz admitted he had the rent check on him when he was arrested, he said he didn't steal it and that the money was his. Following an argument he said he left the house, but told Gibson he loved her and hoped they would stay together.

"What did she say to me? She said don't come back here," he said.

Shabazz repeatedly denied killing Gibson, calling her "his wife," and stating that he "would never hurt my family."

"I am upset," he said. "What, I'm just supposed to be out here going crazy inside the jail? I wouldn't hurt my lady."

More News

Featured Articles

iWitness 7

Misty and Me for the Walk

iWitness7 eagle2


iWitness7 is your chance to join the News Center 7 team! Upload your videos and photos and share with the entire WHIO-TV community!