Watch Live
Listen to Live

Updated: 6:50 p.m. Tuesday, March 25, 2014 | Posted: 6:36 p.m. Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Case of fatal dog mauling headed to a grand jury


Andrew Nason, 28, and Julie Custer, 25, both of Dayton.


Mauling victim sought legal help from county, courts photo
Dog mauling victim Klonda Richey and a document showing one of many complaints to the Montgomery County Animal Resource Center.

By Breaking News Staff and Steven Matthews


The case of the dog mauling that resulted in the death of 57-year-old Klonda Richey will be presented to a grand jury, the Montgomery County Prosecutor's Office said late Tuesday afternoon.

Richey died outside her home at 31 E. Bruce Ave. after she was attacked by two mixed-mastiff dogs in the early morning hours of Feb. 7. The dogs were owned by Andrew Nason, 29, and Julie Custer, 25, who lived at 35 E. Bruce Ave.

Prosecutors met for about three hours Tuesday afternoon with Dayton police detectives.

Richey, who worked for Montgomery County Children Services and lived with about 20 cats, tried to get protection from the dogs and her neighbors for months before her death, according to county and court records.

Thirteen complaints were filed with the Montgomery County Animal Resource Center and another 46 calls were made to the Montgomery County Regional Dispatch Center related to Nason's home between Dec. 27, 2011, and Richey's death on Feb. 7.

Most of the ARC calls were anonymous but 23 of the calls to the dispatch center were from Richey or associated with Richey's phone number. The majority of the calls were about the dogs at the Nason house, but other calls included complaints about juveniles, fireworks and other activity.

Richey also was ultimately denied a civil stalking protection order against Nason in April 2013.

Dayton Police detectives met with county prosecutors about the case earlier this month, and no charges were requested. At that time, county Prosecutor Mat Heck Jr. cited a lack of witnesses and a lack of information from the owners of the dogs.

After the fatal attack, police arrested Custer and Nason while executing a search warrant. They were detained in the county jail pending the filing of reckless homicide charges, but released when no charges were filed.

More News

Featured Articles

iWitness 7

Flower with water droplets

iWitness7 originalflowerchild


iWitness7 is your chance to join the News Center 7 team! Upload your videos and photos and share with the entire WHIO-TV community!