Watch Live
Listen to Live

Updated: 12:36 p.m. Monday, July 7, 2014 | Posted: 5:31 p.m. Sunday, July 6, 2014

Investigation into road rage crash continues


Crash at Grand/Forest avenues, Dayton photo
Andy Sedlak / Staff
Crash at Grand/Forest avenues, Dayton

By Breaking News Staff and Jen Roppel

Staff Writer


Police continue to investigate a road rage crash that occurred Sunday evening that injured four people, including two who are pregnant.

The road rage incident is believed to have started near Siebenthaler Avenue. The two pregnant women were inside the Dodge Charger when occupants of a four-door blue Mercury apparently started striking the Charger with a tire iron. The driver of the Charger took off, and the Mercury followed, police said.

Police believe the occupants of the Charger and Mercury know each other.

A Dayton officer searching the area for the two vehicles involved in a road rage incident came upon the crash around 5 p.m. between the silver Dodge Charger and blue truck at the intersection of West Grand and Forest avenues, Dayton police Lt. Mark Ponichtera said.

"As a result of the accident there has been four people removed to Miami Valley Hospital, two of which are pregnant females," Ponichtera said, adding that another person in the crash is in "life-threatening condition."

The driver of the blue truck, who police said was not involved in the road rage incident, was trapped for about 20 minutes and had to be extricated through mechanical means by the Dayton Fire Department. Ronald Lewis, 59, and Anthony Ferguson, 60, were both occupants in the truck, according to reports. As of Monday morning, Lewis was listed in serious condition and Ferguson was no longer listed as a patient at the hospital.

Police received calls to the regional dispatch center 3 to 5 minutes prior to the crash about one vehicle chasing another.

"One vehicle was described as the silver vehicle that's involved in the crash here," Ponichtera said. "The blue truck was just driving along and was impacted by the silver vehicle."

Traffic detectives are handling the investigation, and homicide detectives have been alerted, Ponichtera said.

Investigators spent more than three hours combing the scene for evidence. Later, the Dayton Fire Department had to return to the scene after one of the vehicles started smoking.

More News

Featured Articles

iWitness 7



iWitness7 is your chance to join the News Center 7 team! Upload your videos and photos and share with the entire WHIO-TV community!