NEW VENDOR: Local pet food coming to 2nd Street Market

Published: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 @ 11:04 AM


            The founders of Pet Wants Dayton shortly before launching the company in late 2015. Photo from Pet Wants Dayton Facebook page
The founders of Pet Wants Dayton shortly before launching the company in late 2015. Photo from Pet Wants Dayton Facebook page

A local company that makes its own all-natural and gluten-free pet food in Dayton will join the 2nd Street Market as a full-time vendor starting May 4.

Pet Wants Dayton was founded in late 2015 and sold its products in farmers markets last year in Huber Heights and Oakwood, and will continue to do so after launching its new booth at the 2nd Street Market, co-founder Stewart Meeker said this morning. The company also offers delivery to homes throughout the region, and allows customers to purchase pet food by the pound.

RELATED: Dayton’s 2nd Street Market tries expanded hours as attendance grows

Meeker is looking forward to expanding Pet Wants Dayton’s reach, and explaining the benefits of locally made pet food to customers personally at the downtown Dayton market.

“With our products, face-to-face interaction is important,” Meeker said.

RELATED: 3 things you should know about 2nd Street Market

Pet Wants Dayton makes dog and cat foods that are all-natural and gluten free, with no fillers or by-products, and no corn, wheat, or soy, Meeker and business partners Keith Brandner and Daniel Nourse said on the Pet Wants Dayton Facebook page. The company makes its pet foods monthly “to make sure that the nutrients your pet needs are actually in the food they are eating, rather than degrading each month on store shelves,” the founders said.

Food can be ordered by the pound, or by the 55-pound bag. Pet Wants Dayton also offers a handful of skin products and a flea-and-tick repellent, and carries grain-free dog treats from Lindy’s Bakery.

RELATED: Experience a visual tour of the 2nd Street Market

Delivery service is available to Beavercreek, Bellbrook, Centerville, Dayton, Fairborn, Huber Heights, Kettering, Miamisburg, Moraine, Oakwood, Springfield, Troy, West Carrollton, Xenia, Yellow Springs, and the surrounding areas.

For more information, check out PetWantsDayton.com or call (937) 813-7591.

2 dead, 2 hurt in 3-vehicle, wrong-way driver crash on I-675 in Centerville

Published: Monday, October 16, 2017 @ 9:55 PM
Updated: Monday, October 16, 2017 @ 11:18 PM

From the scene: I-675 double fatal crash

Two people have been killed and two people have been injured in a three-vehicle, wrong-way driver accident on I-675 South in Centerville: 

  • One of the fatalities was the wrong-way driver 
  • The second fatality was in one of the vehicles hit by the wrong-way driver 
  • A third victim, taken to a hospital, was reported to be alert 
  • A fourth victim suffered minor injuries  
  • Southbound I-675 reopened around 3 a.m.

UPDATE @3:10 a.m.: Southbound I-675 has reopened. The highway was closed for nearly six hours.

UPDATE @ 11:07 p.m.: The wrong-way vehicle headed north on southbound I-675 at Far Hills Avenue glanced off one vehicle and hit a second vehicle head on, Centerville Police Officer John Davis said. 

Both fatalities are male, he said. The genders of the other two victims are not known.

The second victim was in one of the southbound vehicles, he said. A third victim taken to a hospital was alert. A fourth victim suffered minor injuries, Davis said.

OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Clark County teen killed in crash remembered at vigil

Police are speaking with that fourth victim for a witness statement. 

No names are being released until the family members of the victims can be notified, Davis said. 

It's too early to speculate whether alcohol or drugs played a role in the accident. 

The first calls about the wrong-way driver began coming into police dispatch about 9:20 p.m. 

A Montgomery County coroner's investigator is on scene and a Centerville Police Department traffic accident reconstruction team will be on scene for most of the night, he said. 

Southbound I-675 remains shut down at Wilmington Pike. Drivers are encouraged to avoid I-675 South.

UPDATE @ 10:50 p.m.: 

This incident on I-675 South has been confirmed by police as a wrong-way crash and the  driver of the offending vehicle is one of the fatalities.

UPDATE @ 10:26 p.m.: 

Two are confirmed dead and at least one person has been taken to a hospital from the multiple-vehicle accident on I-675 South, Centerville police and a Montgomery County sheriff’s sergeant are telling us.

The fatalities are from separate vehicles, we’re told. The condition of the person taken to a hospital is not known.

I 675 crash Video

INITIAL REPORT

Police and medic units are on the scene of a multiple-vehicle injury accident on I-675 South at Far Hills Avenue in Centerville.

We’re hearing the accident could involve at least one probable fatality, as many as four people injured, at least three vehicles and a reported wrong-way driver. 

We’re working to confirm those details.

Police have decided to shut down all southbound lanes, south of Wilmington Pike, because of the accident. 

The accident was reported just before 9:30 p.m. 

We have a crew on the way.

GOT A TIP? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

2 creating YouTube video survive close call with train, Fairborn fire official says

Published: Monday, October 16, 2017 @ 7:36 PM
Updated: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 @ 2:43 AM

Two escape injury when recording YouTube stunt on railroad tracks

Two people videotaping for the purpose of posting their exploits to YouTube escaped injury Monday night when one of them rolled off the tracks as a train approached, officials said.

The second person apparently standing too close to the tracks was thrown to the ground when the train hit the backpack the first person was holding, according to the early assessment from witnesses, Fairborn fire Battalion Chief Laura Kerr said.

"We highly recommend that you not do that," she said. 

RELATED: Young person doing YouTube stunt hit, killed by train

Police and medic units were originally dispatched on a report of a pedestrian hit by a train in the area of Kauffman Avenue and South Central Avenue in Fairborn around 7:15 p.m.

The train conductors are extremely upset because of what happened, Kerr said, noting that such incidents can trigger post traumatic stress for train engineers and conductors. 

"Do not play on the tracks. It's not a play area. Its not an adventure. Its not a story. It's not a good video," she said.

The investigation is continuing, but Kerr said witnesses have told authorities that one of the people involved laid down on the tracks and rolled off at the very last second as the freight train approached. 

The second person, apparently wearing a back pack or book bag, was too close to the tracks, Kerr said. The train hit the back pack or bag, which was ripped off the person. 

"Luckily, no one was pulled under the train," she said, noting the investigation is still so new that she's not sure of the ages or genders of the people involved. 

No word yet on whether police or fire officials will pursue charges against the two people involved in the incident.

In September, 16-year-old Joseph Fernandez was struck and killed by a train in Miamisburg when he tried to perform a stunt. 

“All these videos on YouTube of people doing this exact same stunt and not dying is what encouraged these kids to do this,” Joseph’s uncle Joshua Fernandez said following his death. “People should stop posting this stuff.”

GOT A TIP? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Reward offered in search for man suspected of raping, killing baby

Published: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 @ 2:20 AM

Joshua Gurto
Conneaut Police Department
Joshua Gurto(Conneaut Police Department)

Police in eastern Ohio are looking for a man suspected of raping and killing a baby girl.

According to WFMJ, the Northern Ohio Violent Fugitive Task Force is offering a reward of up to $5,000 for information that leads to the arrest of Joshua Gurto.

>> Read more trending news

Gurto is accused of raping and killing a 13-month-old girl in Ashtabula County. He is wanted by the U.S. Marshals Service and the Conneaut Police Department on aggravated murder and rape charges, WFMJ reported.

Police said he has ties to western Pennsylvania.

Gurto is described as:

  • 37 years old
  • 5 feet, 10 inches tall
  • 145 pounds
  • Deformed right year
  • Misaligned jaw
  • Tattoos on right forearm

Anyone with information on Gurto’s whereabouts is asked to call the Northern Ohio Violent Fugitive Task Force at 866-4WANTED or text keyword WANTED and the information to 84711.

Tipsters can remain anonymous.

Related

Kate Middleton debuts tiny baby bump in first public outing since pregnancy announcement

Published: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 @ 6:39 AM

Third Child Coming for Prince William, Kate Middleton

Duchess Catherine made her first public appearance since announcing her third pregnancy in honor of World Mental Health Day alongside Prince Harry and Prince William on Tuesday.

>> Prince Harry and Meghan Markle: A relationship timeline

The duchess wore a blue frock and black heels as she attended a reception at St. James Palace, her tiny baby bump on display. The reception marks the first time Catherine has been seen in public since announcing her pregnancy in early September.

LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM - OCTOBER 10: Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge support World Mental Health Day at Buckingham Palace on 10, October 2017 in London, England. (Photo by Heathcliff O'Malley - WPA Pool/Getty Images)(WPA Pool/Getty Images)

>> PHOTOS: Meghan Markle through the years

The mother of two suffers from hyperemesis gravidarum, a severe form of morning sickness in her pregnancies, and it forced her to miss several engagements, including Prince George’s first day of school.

“The duchess’ condition is improving but she’s still suffering from hyperemesis gravidarum,” a royal aide told E! News. “She’s delighted to be here tonight.”

>> On Rare.us: Duchess Catherine has a new secret weapon to help aid against morning sickness

She is reportedly less than 12 weeks into her pregnancy.

The royals celebrated the impact of their Heads Together Charity that encourages people to speak out about their struggles with mental health.

Prince William reportedly spoke about how “proud” he was to be involved and credited his wife for coming up with the idea.

>> Read more trending news

“It was Catherine who first realized that all three of us were working on mental health in our individual areas of focus,” he said. “She had seen that at the core of adult issues like addiction and family breakdown, unresolved childhood mental health issues were often part of the problem.”